Diesel Power
Prev |  1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

6.0 Power Stroke Problems/Fixes

zkcattleco zkcattleco
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/09
Posted: 07/06/09
08:18 PM

I have a 04 F350 King Ranch with a 6.0L and 82K miles.  November of 08 I took it in to the Ford Dealer Shop because it was slowly using coolant and over heated once.  They looked it over and said nothing was wrong with it (Warrenty was up in December of 08).  In April 09 the EGR cooler completely went to hell.  I called the Ford shop and in their note I brought it in (in November) for an oil leak.  They said they wouldn't stand behind it.   Any suggestions: do's/don'ts, parts etc... in repairing this.  I certainly do not want to go back to the dealer.  

theSLEEPER. theSLEEPER.
Guru | Posts: 1748 | Joined: 04/08
Posted: 07/07/09
08:52 AM

Go ahead and do a full EGR delete since you're out of warrantee. There's no downside...

PM me and I can point you in the right direction to buy a delete.  
DIESEL INNOVATIONS

Call me for all your performance part needs!

228-365-Zero Six Nine Eight!

6 Position Custom Tuned Chips!! $320 shipped!  
SCT X4's for your 6.0!! Call me for details!

5nahury 5nahury
Posted: 07/08/09
09:49 AM

Without having to read through all the posts on 6.0L probs, could you point me in the right direction for the EGR delete kit.  I have an 06 F250 w/ 6.0 and have had a problem recently with overheating while towing my 5th wheel.  I took it to Ford and got lucky and only had to spend $150 for them to tell me I may or may not have an EGR cooler leak.  Also, the other day, my truck died on me, 1st time I've had that happen in 39 years.  Gave me a code of P2289 (injector pressure to high) so I took off the Predator towing package that was connected to my ICP sensor (was already on there when I bought it) and cleared the code and all seems fine, for now.  

theSLEEPER. theSLEEPER.
12:49 PM

Call Adam at First Coast Diesel Performance.  Tell him the SLEEPER sent you! (904)-813-5067  
DIESEL INNOVATIONS

linmup linmup
Enthusiast | Posts: 288 | Joined: 01/09
11:02 PM

my buddies 04 with 70k on it blew up the oil cooler. im gonna start on it tomorrow. any suggestions besides a gallon of gas and a rag? never messed around with a 6 liter before.  

theSLEEPER. theSLEEPER.
Posted: 07/09/09
08:49 AM

Nope... but what is the gas for?  
DIESEL INNOVATIONS

linmup linmup
Enthusiast | Posts: 288 | Joined: 01/09
Posted: 07/10/09
10:00 PM

just to make sure the whole truck burns  

marnie2458 marnie2458
New User | Posts: 28 | Joined: 11/08
Posted: 07/11/09
06:46 PM

I have 05 and had lost all boost pressure had like a blow off noise truck is getting horrible milage no power to speek of any ideas I also took to dealer a couple weeks ago because of oil leaking out of intercooler tube they told me this is normal  

theSLEEPER. theSLEEPER.
Posted: 07/13/09
09:24 AM

You've got a bad boot somewhere. The oil in the boots in completely normal, but you could do a CCV reroute and clean all of that out and route your CCV to escape to atmosphere. You should probably replace all of your boots.  
DIESEL INNOVATIONS

rainbow_ford rainbow_ford
Posted: 07/23/09
07:42 PM

I have a 06 F350 bought it last spring figured I would upgrade to a big 5th wheel but can't sustain current speed pulling my mid size trailer actually loses speed and heats up when pulling. shop says everything is good but turbo lags, no big speed increase but lots of noise. I have a 6.0 turbo diesel 4X4 does any one have any ideas  

marnie2458 marnie2458
New User | Posts: 28 | Joined: 11/08
Posted: 07/29/09
06:34 PM

Truck back at dealer and before I took it had a buddy pull codes had PO299 and PO341 so took to dealer they tell me everything is checking fine will any buddy stand behind these 6.0 seems like dealers dont want to mess with them. If any one has recommendation on code failure let me know.  

jdpeery jdpeery
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 08/02/09
05:01 PM

I have a 06 F250 i bought used with 60k in it, it seemed like a really nice truck until i tried towing my toy hauler with it. Its only an 8,000 pound trailer that my 99 f350 7.3 has no problems towing. On my way home with trailer my check engine like turned on and i continued to lose boost while cruising on the highway almost like my turbo was shutting off. Is it a wastegate issue? turbo issue? any ideas please let me know thanks James  

StevieD350 StevieD350
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/09
Posted: 09/09/09
04:03 PM

If you scan the the motor you will most likely get P0 299 the the turbo under boost code. the vains in the turbo are not oppening up to let more air in after you get going. if your truck is runnig right you should just hace some gummy crbon build up, but most likely if its like mine it will be rusty inside. Thats becaue you giving it a bath of antifreeze, and that a whole nother isue. check your coolent once every couple weeks, see if its going down. If it is then youll now with out even taking your turbo apart.  

DieselDad55 DieselDad55
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 09/09
Posted: 09/14/09
03:19 PM

I am a true Ford fan. Have blue oval blood in my veins, yet, I too am considering a new Dodge to replace my 2004 F250. Dodge trucks come with a much more passenger friendly interior, (my wife complains that there's no light on visor mirror). Even the XLT cab lacks alot of the standard equip. in a Dodge. Plus, the price of a Dodge along with the fact that it really is the only "true" diesel engine on the market. I am almost convinced,....... almost. Frown  

jglogger jglogger
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/09
Posted: 12/15/09
02:04 PM

It's interesting to hear about all the differnt problems of the 6.0! However I have owned a 97' 7.3, 94' 12valve 5.9, 05' 6.0 and 01' 24 valve 5.9. All of these trucks I use for my company which is logging. They have all seemed to be decent. However I have never had 1 problem with my 6.0. It has 130,000 logging road miles on it and has never been in the shop. I'm not a big fan of the 6.0 because of there track record, But I know some people that have really good luck with them and some people that hate them. From my experiance of owning lots of differnt makes I have found that Ford seems to hold together the best in my application. My 97' 7.3 has 250,000 logging road miles and just had the orginal transmission replaced and idler pullys replaced. The motor and the rest of the truck has been flawless. My 94' 12 valve 5.9 has 230,000 logging road miles and has done ok. It has lost a transfer case and a rearend and now just 2 weeks ago it blew it's oil sending unit out the side of the block and trashed the motor. My 01' 24 valve 5.9 runs really strong, But it's been thru 4 injection pumps, a water pump and multiple electrical problems. It has 130,000 logging road miles. My experiance with Dodge is that the front ends and running gear do not hold together like I think they should in my application. I run lots of cummins motors in my logging equipment they have there problems, But overall they are very good motors. I also run Cat motors they have some problems, But they far surpass a Cummins in my opinion. I have 2 cat Motor's that currently have 780,000 miles and 1 at 950,000 miles and are still running strong everyday. I have a new ISX Cummins that just had inframe major done at 260,000 miles. It has been a joke of a motor. The early model 5.9 had problems with a dall pin falling out of the front timing cover and falling into the motor. This would cause motor failure and be very costly. I know because it happened to my 5.9 in a skidder and cost me $6,800 to get it fixed. The new 6.7 have a long list of problems, I don't own one and never will. I have multiple freinds who have had lots of problems anywhere from 20,000 miles to 70,000 miles. One of them was coming home from wyoming and had to be towed from Utah all the way to California. The truck had only 15,000 miles on it. Since then it's been in the shop 7 times for motor problems. He has now got rid of it and is very happy with his new truck which is an 08' Duramax. If you were going to buy a new truck and it's just for personal use I would purchase a new Chevy duramax or Ford 6.4 which has been pretty good so far. I have 2 friends that have a 6.4 and they have had no problems so far. I would purchase a Chevy Duramax for my busisness but we have had chevy's in the past and the frontends and the frames just don't seem to hold together in the woods, But they seem good for highway and personal use. It's hard to beat the Ford's durability of the frame, running gear and sructural design for tough work. Thats why I think Ford has always been number 1 in truck sales. You do know that ford owns Cummins and you can buy a Ford F-550 4x4 or bigger with a Cat, Cummins or Powerstroke motor. Which ever you prefer.  

Prev |  1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last