Diesel Power
1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

Best Propane Injection System?

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Administrator | Posts: 2112 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 07/18/06
07:04 AM

What do you guys think is the best Propane Injection system out there?  

HOTRODCUMMINS HOTRODCUMMINS
User | Posts: 124 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 10/15/06
10:34 PM

I got my eye on the TS kit, they say it adds a safe 100h.p. Laugh  
also have my eye on the ATS kit, cheaper shipping, they're shop is just down the hill from me! All of the kits I've looked at claim an increase in MPG, lower EGT, because the propane helps the diesel fuel burn more completely.

Can anybody verify these claims, w/ any brand of propane kit? Are any engine mods in order, Studs, O-ring head, different turbo?  I'm still in the early stages of my research, so any input and i'm all ears!  
'99 2500 QC 4x4 sport, ADRENALINE, DDP 200 sticks, BD towin twins, ARP head studs, Truetrac rear diff, 5sp w/ valair 3850# dual disc

blk03 6.0 strokin it blk03 6.0 strokin it
New User | Posts: 9 | Joined: 11/06
Posted: 11/03/06
04:40 PM

powershot 2000 is a great kit. i got it on my 03 6L psd.  adds different amts of power depending on the application and if your running a tuner or not.  it is safe for everyday use and the flow varies to the amount of boost, not just shots of it at different boost levels.  it is also one of the cheapest kits ive seen.  i researched and spoke to many different people and companies before purchasing.

http://www.dieselperformanceproducts.com/home.html

if you call and order, ask for mary and tell her darin from kentucky sent ya!  

Dieselguy1 Dieselguy1
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/07
Posted: 07/20/07
08:08 PM

I have superchips Digital propane ijection on my 99 powerstroke. It is all computer controlled, almost fool proof. You can even hook up to a lap top and customize the way you want the system to work. Its a great system, and it adss alot of power. Check out www.superchips.com  

VWdiesel VWdiesel
User | Posts: 102 | Joined: 12/07
Posted: 12/11/07
12:44 PM

MY dads a trucker and was talkin to a guy in cali. who had propane injection ,he dyno'd his truck at 400hp and had 650hp after he added propane. my dad would like this on his '00 freightliner century N-14 cummins,
it would be nice on my vw diesel to .
if anyone knows sumthin about puttin it on either of these let me know  
'81 VW caddy diesel 3.5 inch exhaust,, smokes reel good and sounds like a big truck now. and still gits 46 mpg!

'93 F250 cold air intake , straight pipe w/ 5" stack

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Administrator | Posts: 2112 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 12/11/07
06:43 PM

The only thing that sucks about propane systems, is most of them are boost-referenced, that I've seen, meaning they won't work on N.A. diesels. Any of you know of any that aren't?  

1baddmax 1baddmax
New User | Posts: 32 | Joined: 02/08
Posted: 04/27/08
08:45 PM

WHAT KIND OF MILAGE INCREASE DID ALL OF YOU RECEIVE WITH YOUR SYSTEM?  
04.5 CHEVY DURAMAX BANKS 6-GUN TUNER WITH PDA, VOLLANT AIR BOX,4 INCH CAT BACK EXHAUST, FS2500 BYPASS FILTER, Sun Coast stage IV and 1056 Torque Converter, MAG-HYTECH  TRANS.PAN, PROPANE INJECTION, EGR BLOCKER PLATE, PCV RE-ROUTE, AIR DOG 150 GPH, BF GOODRICH A/T 265/70R17, 16K SUPERGLIDE FIFTHWHEEL HITCH   RUNNING ON AMSOIL WHERE I CAN

Steve.Sykes Steve.Sykes
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 08/08
Posted: 08/16/08
08:09 AM

I am still trying to find out how to get hold of the man who owns the chevy in the power challenge who won the miles per gallon catagory. He had a compressed natural gas system hooked up. I feel like he used a propane system and simply is injecting CNG instead, but assumptions don't usually work out very good form me. Could someone fill in the gaps for me? I drive an average of 300 miles/day and would like to cheapen up my fuel cost asap. I live in the Texas Panhandle which has good availability of CNG. Please email me with info, as I don't visit this website every day.
Steve Sykes
sykes5@suddenlinkmail.com  

cheepsk8 cheepsk8
New User | Posts: 22 | Joined: 02/09
Posted: 04/20/09
01:54 PM

Putting propane on a class 8 big rig would be way cool! Would have to be sure the tank is mounted D.O.T. approved!! The next problem would be the air intake for the air compresser. The air line comes directley off the intake manifold. That way the air compresser gets filtered and boosted air for easier pumping. I don't think it would be a good idea to put a pressurized mixture of air and propane into the trucks air system! Would have to disconnect the hose, plug the hole, and put an air filter on the air pump. Water injection would need the same treatment.  
42 GPW "project"

jason.thompson jason.thompson
Guru | Posts: 839 | Joined: 06/08
Posted: 01/13/10
04:52 PM

http://www.delucafuelproducts.com/ makes a good kit.

Propane works under a lower pressure compared to CNG.

Diesel Power CNG Article  
___

My personal goals include developing perpetual motion and bringing power to the people. I’m also working on building a ’87 Ford F-250 7.3L IDI (Project 300) on a paycheck- to-paycheck budget. One day, I’d like it to be a renewable diesel-steam-hydraulic-compressed- air-wind-solar-infinitely-variable-transmission-equipped hybrid, but until then, I’m just happy to have a simple diesel-powered pickup.

jason.thompson@sorc.com

IBLEWUP IBLEWUP
User | Posts: 68 | Joined: 07/09
Posted: 01/14/10
07:16 AM

Superchips DPI (Digital Propane Injection)!!! Check it out!  
2003 F-250 CC/SB, FX4, factory 20's w/325's, 24V P-Pumped Cummins, 191 Delivery valves, 4K GSK, tork-tek OFV, rack kit, fully modified AFC, 5" straight pipe exhaust, Intake, Built Tranny- There's probably some other stuff I forgot about...  (Had a 7.3)

fraso fraso
New User | Posts: 10 | Joined: 01/11
Posted: 01/11/11
12:30 PM

The best diesel dual fuel systems use a fuel map (RPM vs Boost Pressure) to supply propane to the engine.  This allows the engine to use more propane at low loads but cuts it back at higher loads to prevent the engine from melting down.  The only system with a fully-programmable load-based fuel map that is commonly available in North America is the EcoDiesel System.

The EcoDiesel System also has the ability to supply propane post-intercooler for better fuel control, which avoids control-issues from fuel transport delay through the turbo and intercooler.  Also, the EcoDiesel System has a TPS feature which allows it to be used on NA engines.  In addition to the LPG EcoDiesel System, there is also a CNG EcoDiesel System available.  

bluetech151 bluetech151
Guru | Posts: 1304 | Joined: 06/07
Posted: 01/11/11
08:42 PM

All of them can be connecting rod killers. With higher EGTs propane will fire sooner adding extra timing and stress on the engine. RPM and Boost mean noting if the your engine is pushing higher cylinder temps.  
Diesel Power: It'll eat up anything in its path and spit out pure charcoal.

fraso fraso
New User | Posts: 10 | Joined: 01/11
Posted: 01/12/11
06:33 AM

The problem with using gaseous fuels (propane and CNG) in a diesel is the danger of detonation, which is what melts pistons and kills rods (see Dual Fuel Fumigation).  Propane has a critical compression ratio (CCR) of about 12:1 while natural gas has a CCR of about 15:1.  Diesels easily have compression ratios higher than 16:1 so it is very important to carefully control the amount of LPG or CNG added.  As loads increase, the gaseous fuel must be cut back, with propane having to be cut back even more than CNG.

Using a fuel map to control gaseous fuel delivery in a diesel dual fuel system allows the use of more gaseous fuel during low-load cruising while not over-fueling at high loads and risking detonation.  Besides being a much cheaper fuel than propane (comparing BTUs), CNG can be used in relatively greater amounts because of its higher CCR.  With diesel fuel prices rising, a diesel-CNG system will usually be much cheaper to operate than a diesel-LPG system.  See DIY Diesel Dual Fuel.  

firedick firedick
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 03/11
Posted: 03/28/11
11:45 AM

Gentlemen,

I've noticed many makers and retailers discontinuing propane systems. Is there an inherent problem with propane ?

Sorry if this has been asked. I have tried searching.

Thanks.
FD  

1 |  2 |  Next   | Last