Diesel Power
1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

7.3 Power Stroke Problems/Fixes

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Administrator | Posts: 2112 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 07/18/06
07:10 AM

Disucssion about common problems and fixes on the 7.3 Power Stroke diesels.  

engineer189 engineer189
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 07/24/06
11:45 PM

I have a 2000 ford f-250 7.3 that I have done some minor upgrades on. I have done away with the factory air filter box and replaced with a AME brute force, I also have replaced the factory exhaust with the monster 5" with the muffler that comes with the kit. I also have programed the truck with a hypertech power programer. My problem is when I pull heavy loads such as a bobcat or excavator I can hear the turbo flutter. The turbo will do this when pulling hills and will stop when the trasmission shifts to a lower gear and the rpms are raises. I did read in this month's issue of diesel power that this may be surge in the compressor but iam not real sure if anyone could give me some more information I would be interested in hearing any ideas.  

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Administrator | Posts: 2112 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 07/25/06
01:09 AM

I've heard of the fluttering problem, as well as the surging. Several companies make a revised turbine housing that's supposed to help. I also found this product called the Turbo Air Guide.

http://www.blackclouddiesel.com/Ford/TAG/tag.htm

I thought TST made the housing, but I couldn't find it on their site. But many other companies offer one. Anyone else know anything about who makes good replacement turbo housings?  

BioStroke BioStroke
New User | Posts: 15 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 07/25/06
09:47 AM

engineer189,
Try this link, I currently have the same problem, with the same mods. I plan on installing this on my truck eventually. Supposed to be like the original Ford compressor wheel, that Ford did away with so the turbo would be quieter. Why fix it if it ain't broke. It makes the turbo spin up faster, and has a nice sound. I know a guy who installed one and he said it fixed the problem.

www.wickedwheel.com  
2000, F-350, 4X4, 7.3L CrewCab: SuperChips Gold Series, Wicked Wheel, K&N intake, 4" turbo back Exhaust, Gauges, 5" lift W/ 35" Pro Comp's, Heavy Duty Billet Trans.

TM98DYEC8-#002 TM98DYEC8-#002
New User | Posts: 43 | Joined: 08/06
Posted: 08/10/06
05:33 AM

I also wonder if it might not be fluttering from the turbo getting overheated yet I would look into the compressor surging first.  That sounds like the more likely culprit.  

STROKER STROKER
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 08/06
Posted: 08/13/06
12:29 PM

I HAVE RECENTLY INSTALLED 4" BANKS EXHAUST TURBO BACK, BANKS BIG HOSS MODULE(LEVEL 3), ALSO SIX GUN TUNER STACKED. I HAVE CHANGED THE COMPRESSOR WHEEL AND WASTEGATE ACTUATOR. I HAVE ALSO INSTALLED THE BANKS TRANSCOMMAND AND B-D POWER ACCUMULATOR BODY FOR MY TRANSMISSION. ALSO INSTALLED THE DERALE FAN COOLED TRANSMISSION COOLER. THE NEW COMPRESSOR WHEEL HAS A REAL NICE SOUND. I DO NOT HEAR IT SURGE OR FLUTTER. I HAVE CHECKED MY FUEL MILEAGE AND IT IS GREAT. BEFORE WAS 14-15MPG NOW ITS 17-18MPG. OF COURSE YOU COULD ALWAYS PUT THE GARRETT BALL BEARING TURBO ASSEMBLY ON. COSTLY.

03' F-350
4DR LONG BED
LARIAT 7.3  

BMartin11 BMartin11
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/06
Posted: 08/15/06
12:58 AM

Icon Quoteesanchez:

I recently purchased a 2000 F250 4x4 with the 7.3 it has 239k miles. I have a rear main seal leak. Overnight parking will leave a 6 inch oil spot. At what point does this become a big enough issue to fix and will a seal softner or other additive help to stop or improve the leak?  

TurboDieselEnthusiast TurboDieselEnthusiast
New User | Posts: 27 | Joined: 10/06
Posted: 08/15/06
01:14 PM

its a good thing u upgraded some parts, but all that power is good, but if u have the stock turbo. The turbo is just not keep in up with the rest of the engine. I have a 2002 ford superduty F250 2wd and i was pulling a 20 foot trailer and when i was going up hill at low speed the turbo seem to spool up, but the truck wouldn't go any faster. You probably need to upgrade ur turbo.  
2002 Ford F-250 Superduty 7.3L PowerStroke

98dirtydozen 98dirtydozen
New User | Posts: 10 | Joined: 09/06
Posted: 09/04/06
01:38 PM

i had the same problem on my dodge when i pulled heavy loads.. i either had to haul *** in 6th or hold 5th about 55 60 mph.. i put a bigger compressor cover on my turbo and it went away..  

davecarpe davecarpe
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 09/06
Posted: 09/11/06
12:16 AM

The compressor surge problem is pretty well documented on the web. Ford redesigned the compressor wheel to make the turbo quieter, which it did. But by making it smaller it increased oscillation of the air which overheats the air coming out of the turbo and with a few mods can easily get you into comprssor surge. There are several fixes that you can use from the Whicked Wheel mentioned earlier, to the new Banks turbo mods to replacemnet of the Turbo with a ball bearing design like the Garret or Turbonetics (who offers a kit with turbo and a SPEARCO intercooler).

Here are some links to check out:

http://www.off-roadweb.com/tech/powerparts/
http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/idx/0/261/article/73L_Powerstroke_Diesel_Turbo_Stall.html
http://www.ford-trucks.com/tsb/fulltext/show_article.php?tsb=03-21-40  

Get D I T or Eat **** Get D I T or Eat ****
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 10/06
Posted: 10/31/06
06:48 PM

i have heard the high presure oil galery plugs on the back of the heads can leak, and the oil can run down the block and appear to be a rear main leak.  

DJM DJM
New User | Posts: 8 | Joined: 10/06
Posted: 10/31/06
09:29 PM

Getting the upgraded compressor wheel will fix the prob like said earlier the turbo wheel in the 00-03 wont handle the extra air I had the same prob you did and that took care of the problem cheaper than buying a $1200 turbo I got my wheel for $85 It's a pain in the butt to put in so you might want to pay the extra money to get it installed.  

engineer189 engineer189
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 11/01/06
09:33 PM

I want to thank everyone for posting the information regarding my turbo problem, I have purchased the wicked wheel fan and hope to install it within a week, depending on how long it takes to get it and I like that it doesnt cost as much as a new compressor so I will let everyone know how it goes again thanks  

spotted ape spotted ape
User | Posts: 106 | Joined: 08/06
Posted: 11/02/06
09:22 AM

Icon Quoteesanchez:

Icon QuoteBMartin11:
I recently purchased a 2000 F250 4x4 with the 7.3 it has 239k miles. I have a rear main seal leak. Overnight parking will leave a 6 inch oil spot. At what point does this become a big enough issue to fix and will a seal softner or other additive help to stop or improve the leak?

In regards to your leak, my '95 F250 did the same thing but I could never tell where it was coming from and it never used one drop of oil. So I just let it be and never had a problem. Finally got rid of it at 200k - still ran great.  

trenton.jackson trenton.jackson
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 11/06
Posted: 11/07/06
09:58 PM

If yall have read the article in the dec 06 issue about the 26 mpg stroker, they mention that he disabled the backpressure valve on his turbo, if any one has done this or knows what it consists of, please fill me in.

p.s. mine is a 2000 f250 4x4 7.3l  

1 |  2 |  Next   | Last