Diesel Power
Mobile Icon BtnMobile Icon Btn RO
Newsletter

2003 Duramax Injector Problems, caused by EZ Amp power box?

Diesel Power
1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

2003 Duramax Injector Problems, caused by EZ Amp power box?

Desperate Duramax Desperate Duramax
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 09/06
Posted: 09/11/06
02:34 PM

I'm looking for some concrete evidence that points to related injector failures on early model Duramax motors.  Does GMC have an existing and on-going problem with their injectors OR did the 2003 I just purchased (7-26-06) from John Raycraft in Arizona pass the problem on to me by not stating the EZ Amp Power Box (made by Edge Manufacturing) caused the failures. Does this company not warn the customer of this possible problem? This truck only had 35,425 miles when experiencing the problem for the first time. I had to prime the fuel system every morning to get the truck started on vacation, and the GMC dealership (Becker Buick/GMC, Spokane,
Wa)after diagnosing the problem staed it was caused by the power box forcing to much fuel into the injectors. In fact the dealership even stated and noted on my invoice THE MANUFACTURE WARRANTY IS VOIDED DUE TO AFTER-MARKET ADD ON, is this possible? Does anyone out there have some good news and proof regarding this type of situation?  If you don't know already, replacment of the injectors runs in the neighborhood of $4700.00 or more!

Mr. Desperate Duramax (should have bought a Cummins?)  

colt49 colt49
User | Posts: 97 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 09/26/06
07:12 AM

Just trade it for a new 06'Duramax LBZ before the 07's fill the lot. Get rid of the one you got stuck with by someone who played with it and something went wrong so they dumped it and you bought it. I just got an 06' and the new tranny Allison has coupled onto the Duramax is so nice even in stock power settings. Go drive an 06' and drive that Dodge last. You will buy the GMC!!Mopar is behind now. The new Semi's have the new emmission equipment on their new diesel engines and cost $7k dollars more and have to run special fuel and oil and have to have a bigger hood to pack all that EPA California Granola Head Crap under it!!!!  

Bentwrench Bentwrench
New User | Posts: 27 | Joined: 09/06
Posted: 09/29/06
03:40 AM

Chevy has had a on-going issue with the injectors from '03 to late '04.
My 03 had 875 miles and had to have them all replaced, no chip installed.
My 04 had 2 injectors replaced, no chip. Your dealer is using this as an excuse not to cover warranty. Although it is true that these module increase fuel pressure and change the timing, there is no proof that the Edge caused this failure. You should only buy a Cummins if you want a noisy truck with a crappy ride and weak transmission.
I have purchased the 06 LBZ and let me tell ya, get one dude!!!  
06 Chevy 2500HD LBZ CC/SB: Triple Dog/Crazy Larry, AFE ST2, MBRP 4" SS, 265 TOYO's

dieselhuffer dieselhuffer
New User | Posts: 7 | Joined: 10/06
Posted: 10/06/06
07:41 PM

unplug your box and visit another dealership, Forget that cummins! I dont believe the chip ruined your injectors, the rail will only support 23,600 PSI regardless of tuning. The LB7 is known for injector issues, so fight to get yours replaced under warranty then keep a clean filter on your rig and dont hesitate to install an inline liftpump to support the extra fuel the your box is calling for. the duramax dosent come with a lift pump and GM says the injector pump is aduquate, but my truck seems to like the extra supply of fuel when your foot gets heavy. dont be afraid to run fuel additive either, the extra lubrication definetly isnt going to hurt anything.  

03Duramax 03Duramax
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 11/06
Posted: 11/21/06
07:50 AM

Same here I have a 03 and have had the injectors changed twice, I got a letter from gm stating they had problems with the injector's also.  

colt49 colt49
User | Posts: 97 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 11/30/06
07:59 AM

I found info about you having coverage for 200k miles from GM it's in dieselpage.com with actual guys having GM acknowledge the injector failures issue and getting replacements for that long in mileage coverage. Click over there and find out for yourself. There is alot on the Ford 6.0 motor failures too that is showing the extent of that problem. I found it really good reading,.  

needforspeed needforspeed
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 12/06
Posted: 12/22/06
11:55 PM

not much you can do when they void the warranty..........trade it in  

cooperhauling cooperhauling
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 01/07
Posted: 01/29/07
09:23 PM

I would also pull the box and take it to another dealer chevy has to cover it 7yr/200,000 upto 03 just be very firm with the dealer or youll get punked  

hoppflyer hoppflyer
New User | Posts: 13 | Joined: 04/08
Posted: 04/28/08
05:41 AM

what I found in researching the injector problem I have with my 2003 is that high pressures now used in the common rail induction systems caused the 7 micron and greater particles in the dirty diesel fuel they are selling in America, errodes the seats in the injectors. This was not a problem in the older diesels when the injector pressure was 3,000 to 5,000 psi.
Also for everyone to know is that GM is using REMANUFACTURED injectors to replace the faulty ones under the extended factory warranty! This means the injectors you get from GM have failed at least once already (anyone see a problem here?) and when I asked who was remanufacturing the injectors, what was their process, and how were they tested prior to shipping, I was stonewalled by my dealer (Davis-Moore in Wichita, KS)
Bye the way my truck is headed back to the shop this week.  After D-M changed all 8 injectors, my towing fuel mileage dropped from 10-12mpg to  6-7 mpg ( I have driven this truck since it was new and pulled the same trailer since Sept. 03), and they can't find any codes being set so they will not do anything.  I'm taking it to an independent diesel mechanic to get it fixed right.  

94F3507.3iditurbo 94F3507.3iditurbo
New User | Posts: 8 | Joined: 04/08
Posted: 04/29/08
10:33 AM

your stupid 4 buying a riceburner diesel  

gunman41mag gunman41mag
Guru | Posts: 1175 | Joined: 01/08
Posted: 04/29/08
04:30 PM

HEY 94F3507.3, NOW THAT WAS UNCALLED FOR, NO NEED TO BE MEAN TO hoppflyer, ALL TRUCKS WILL HAVE THEIR PROBLEMS, WHEN A TRUCK BREAKS WE STICK TOGETHER, AND HELP OUT!!! OR ELSE NO ONE WOULD TELL US THE PROBLEMS THERE HAVING, IF DIESEL POWER MEMBERS WILL MAKE FUN AND INSULTED THEIR TRUCKS!!!  
2008 F250 SUPER-CAB 6.4 PSD 2WD 1999 F250 super-cab 7.3 PSD 2WD(sold)
MEMBER- BLOWIN' SMOKE GANG Commerative Heart

hoppflyer hoppflyer
New User | Posts: 13 | Joined: 04/08
Posted: 05/02/08
08:27 AM

Thanks gunman41mag.
94F3507.3iditurbo, get a life. This forum is for informational exchanges and sharing of knowledge and expirences.  
 I bought the truck I wanted and I assume you did the same. Too bad you haven't had any problems yet.  When you do, come back.  

gunman41mag gunman41mag
Guru | Posts: 1175 | Joined: 01/08
04:32 PM

HI hoppflyer, YOU KNOW WE HAVE SOME 13 YEAR-OLDS, THAT DON'T RESPECT OTHER DIESEL POWER MEMBERS TRUCKS!!! THIS WEB-SITE IS HERE SO WE CAN ALL LEARN, ABOUT THE DIFFERENT DIESEL ENGINES, IF THIS WEB-SITE WAS JUST ABOUT ONE BRAND NAME, IT WOULD BE BORING!!  
2008 F250 SUPER-CAB 6.4 PSD 2WD 1999 F250 super-cab 7.3 PSD 2WD(sold)
MEMBER- BLOWIN' SMOKE GANG Commerative Heart

2001.SCOTT 2001.SCOTT
Enthusiast | Posts: 464 | Joined: 12/07
10:03 PM

my friend at work had his injecotrs  replaced twice under warrenty no power adders they just went bad they really cant just void the warranty cause you found a jerk off dealer take it off call edge and go see another dealer some dealerships dont even have a diesel tech just another parts changer that didnt know how to change them saw the programmer and said hey this caused the injectors to go out its been a ongoing problem i sure the box didnt have nothing to do with it even dodge and ford have had this problem  
2001 dodge with 5in exhaust k@n intake with edge comp box,2in leveling, added holley blue lift pump kit member-"Blowing Smoke Gang" Ranchhand bumbers

ACR2500hd ACR2500hd
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/09
Posted: 02/15/09
08:05 PM

Mr. D D     I have a 2003 Sierra with the Duramax I have 198750 miles on mine, and my truck is at the dealer right now getting new injecters put on. My service rep. @ Carriege Motors in Temecula Ca. John Hernandez tells me that GM covers the injecters for this year for up 200000 miles. This is the 4th time my injecters have gone bad. Also the glow plugs are covered also for the same miles.  Gm reworked the injecters after this model year due to so many problems.   If you would like talk John the #(909)694-6060 or 800-521-6555.                  Any other questions you can call me Angel Ramos (760)419-4470  

1 |  2 |  Next   | Last