Wastegate controller

Diesel Power
Item Posts    Sort Order

Wastegate controller

6FiveTurboDSL 6FiveTurboDSL
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 10/06
Posted: 10/02/06
01:39 PM

I've got a 94'6.5 turbo diesel. I was just wondering if anyone has a 6.5 with a wastegate controller on their turbo.I've been looking to find one for mine, and I recently have found one. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if it had made an improvement on their truck. Thanks for your help!!!  

Turbine Doc Turbine Doc
New User | Posts: 7 | Joined: 10/06
Posted: 10/25/06
07:36 AM

All 6.5's 94-2000 have a vacuum controlled WG, depending whether you are a S or F 8th digit VIN truck the systems are more complicated to diagnose, both use a vacuum PWM controlled solenoid to keep the WG closed to make max boost, and venting of vacuum allows the WG to open reducing boost made.  are you having a problem with yours.

Make sure main vac from vac pump at idle is 20+", if not vac pump may be bad or you have a vac leak.  follow the routing schematic under your hood to help you diagnose your vac issue  if your sticker is missing try the FAQ section www.dieselplace.com

WG solenoid should also high vac at idle reasonably close to what mainline vac is reading, if not you may have a WG solenoid or power to solenoid issue.  Do you have heavy sustained black smoke on acceleration, then that is too much fuel, another indication of turbo/WG problems  

6FiveTurboDSL 6FiveTurboDSL
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 10/06
Posted: 10/26/06
08:19 PM

Hey, Thanks again Turbo DOC..I see that you are on Diesel place ,and i totally forgot to ask you about this. Ill get back to you on the dieselplace website regarding this, i am always on it, and i hardly ever get a chance to be on this site. Thanks again for the advise.  

patttttttt patttttttt
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 11/06
Posted: 11/17/06
04:52 AM

can you put a vac reserve (and or) restriction in line between the sol. and the wastegate     to hold vac and inturn incerase boost pressure  

firerobb57 firerobb57
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 06/08
Posted: 07/01/08
07:07 PM

I put the maual wast gate controler in my 93 6.5 fro heith diesel and it came alive. and my mpg went up too.  

plbooth plbooth
New User | Posts: 11 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 08/18/09
05:56 PM

I , too , use the heath mechanical boost controller and it works just fine, i can run w/o catalyst where I live and that helped as well, insulate the exhaust going to turbo below engine and turbo will spool faster still.