Diesel Power
First |  Prev |  16 |  17 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

6.7 Cummins vs. 6.4 Power Stroke vs. LBZ/LMM Duramax

gmoney284 gmoney284
New User | Posts: 8 | Joined: 07/07
Posted: 08/16/07
04:05 PM

In my opinion the new diesels haven't been out long enough to really make a definite top pick. I drive fords... always have, always will. On the other hand I am a firm believer that the inline six is a better design for low end torque and longevity, but in my opinion the Dodge truck itself leaves a lot to be desired. Time will tell where diesel engines will go from here, and I say hats of the manufacturer that opens new doors for making reliable, long lasting power. I don't believe engines modified to produce horsepower that could never be used in real world situations are really the "best".  

BarronPFC BarronPFC
New User | Posts: 39 | Joined: 08/07
Posted: 08/17/07
07:47 PM

I Like the cummins but the Duramax is right there at the top with it, but the Powerchoke ha! You should just drop that from the competition. If someone could figure out a way to put the old P7100 on the new 6.7 with the old school Nozzle injectors that would by far be better than anything the other makes could do.  

02CUMMINS 02CUMMINS
Enthusiast | Posts: 276 | Joined: 03/07
Posted: 08/20/07
08:34 AM

well seeing as the 6.7L cummins is the only one fit for 2010 emissions and there has been talk about the duramax 6.6L not making another appearance, I'd go with the cummins because it is technology that has been proven over the last 20+ years . im not saying the duramax is a bad engine (in my opinion it should have cast iron heads) but what will we see after it ?  
02 Dodge Cummins. w/ Banks Six Gun w/Speed Loader,K&N Intake,4" exhaust, FASS 150gph,150hsp injectors,

actiontex actiontex
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/07
Posted: 08/20/07
11:40 AM

Been in the biz from ASE Master Tech, owning shops, and dealing used- for 25yr. Yes they all have their probs- the corn-binder 7.3 OLD school was a POS, would hold together forever if u didn't mind having it in my shop all the time for everything under the sun, aside from motor blowing up entirely.  The GM 6.2 and 6.5 were laughable excuses, and Dodge was the King w/ the Cummins- if you didn't mind the rest of the truck falling apart.  Now they are all making fine products, although from personal experience on a '06 Pstroke I helped a freind build- it seemed as soon as we started bumping up the power w/ chip, exhaust, induction that it was popping heads and in the shop all the time.  I've also seen issues on the Cummins w/ computer probs, and u gotta love the 50k injectors on the first generation dmax. I'm reading all your opinions cuz I want to get in a duramax 4x4.  GM just fits me better and I gotta ask where is the discussion about creature features?  WHY wont ford and dodge catch up?  I LOVE all the toys- I want my 5'3" old lady to jump in there and push that button which adjusts the mirrors, seats, AC, and radio presets for god's sake; where when i get back in it w/ my 6'3" ass and push MY button everything goes back EXACTLY where i had it.  The OnStar, satellite radio and other computer toys are nice too, just the little *** like rotating your outside mirrors down when u put in reverse is just *** COOL!  Also, dmax OWNERS or guys in the biz- please tell me if you've had actual headaches on the independant front suspension and transfer case.  I know many die hards think that a solid front axle is the ONLY 4x4, but I have a 99 4x4 suburban w/ 250k miles on it and you gotta like running across ranchland without spilling your beer... and I've had zero issues w/ the front suspension, differential, or even axles.  In fact for my 2 cents on overall quality I'm blown away by that GM - other than one fuel pump, one water pump, and an intake gasket, I've done nothing but maintenance, even still running original starter, alternator, and AC compressor- that kinda thing used to be unheard of on ANY of the big three... Anyways, all these horror stories kinda make me wanna just run that one till it drops but I want in a diesel for the the towing power and mileage, all your input is appreciated.  

cwedge cwedge
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/07
Posted: 08/21/07
07:35 PM

I'm glad you boy's know so much about diesels beacause it's clear you don't know much about spelling!  To clear the  air, the Cummins is unique as it is a proven big rig design, shrunk down for 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.  The thing that makes the better is the long stroke which provides for extreme torque for their size.  Neither Ford or GM's stroke is as long as a V-8 does not have the room to do so.  In addition, the Cummin's bearings cover more than double the surface area for longer life and durability.  Yes the smaller cubes and longer stroke is a horsepower limitation but this engine is designed for pulling torque. If you want to have higher horsepower at higher rpms, go buy a big gas job.  If you want to pull a big load and do it with the least amount of fuel, buy a Dodge.  I regularly run against GM's and will beat the every time unless they put the big chip in.  As far as Fords, the only one I know is a sow on fuel but pulls okay. (again, might as well buy a gas job as no savings here)  

Dieseldude03 Dieseldude03
Enthusiast | Posts: 357 | Joined: 01/07
Posted: 08/23/07
01:25 PM

Icon Quotecwedge:
I'm glad you boy's know so much about diesels beacause it's clear you don't know much about spelling!

When did I join a grammer forum??? Confused Grin  
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4. H.O. Cummins, 6spd manual trans, 4.10 gearing. Intake, Exhaust, Hot Juice, HTT HTB2 62/12/65, Jake Brake, 305-65R17 (33 x 12.50) Pro-Comp Extreme All Terrains, SBC Con O FE, Fuel Tank Vent Mod,  Various other gizmos.

I-6 Cummins guys are keepin' it straight. Those other boys swing both ways.

1972 1972
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 08/07
Posted: 08/26/07
05:50 PM

D-MAX IS STILL SUCK!  

pirhana pirhana
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/07
Posted: 09/14/07
12:44 AM

All factory vehicles have already been in the testing phases for about 3 years to meet the 07 emissions cums6.7 has been in production as the qsb for industrial apps for 4 years. The reason for the larger displacement is because they need to generate higher cylinder psi, for emissions, but the contrary to beliefe of powerloss there is actual increases in power and performance. The trucks are now installed with dpf's (diesel particulate filters) so no black smoke, factories can now advance timing and there is no need for afc to slow the engine down for black smoke output. I think the only down fall is in the aftermarket performace, they will have a hard time bypassing emissions. 2010 emissons are going to be even more strict looks like we cant go backwards now.  

stillburningas stillburningas
New User | Posts: 17 | Joined: 09/07
08:36 AM

Icon Quotemxdiesel:
well as far as suspensions are concerned here in the ranch chevys are the first to give out, fords and dodges are what every hardworking rancher prefers...

very true thats is my only arguement against chevys, while the ifs set up does offer a better ride for passengers, it just cant stand up the same kind of thrashing that a solid axle can  

08:42 AM

Icon Quotepwrstrk96:
What do you call the 6.9 Ford Diesel, bad?  Compare that to GM's 6.2 which was a piece of junk.  Then came Ford's 7.3L diesel not the greatest, but again compared to the competion of a 6.2, still better.  Now the 7.3L Powerstroke ('94) made by International and is arguably the best light diesel to date.  What was GM's diesel while the 7.3L Powerstroke was out, a 6.5L turbo diesel that was also a piece of junk.  Now, International does make the Powerstroke, but who makes the Duramax?? Isuzu!, not GM.  Figure it out before you trash talk here, and if you can't tell there is a record of crap diesels from GM, so be careful judging Ford or Dodge, b/c they both have a better track record than GM.

you have to remember that the 6.2 and the 6.5 was back when chevy thought they could make a diesel but they arent completly retarded since they out sourced it to bring a better product to the market, and the 7.3 is the best engine in my opinion because of their reliability, which makes me wonder why there arent more performance accesories for it, and it also makes me wonder, who the *** decided to get rid of it!!but with all the problems they had with the six liter and the recalls with 6.4 there have been rumors of ford cuttin ties with navistar and makin thier own which will be interestin to see espicially with the new emission standards  

08:49 AM

Icon QuoteDMAXPOWER:
6.2 non turbo was junk haha you deff dont know what you are talking about i had one yes it was not a fast diesel it is a real diesel it would pull anything you put behind it or in front i had one a 6.2 with 362,000 miles on it and pulled a F-250 7.3 WITH NO PROBLEM the only diesel that gave me a fight on that 6.2 was the old cumm the real cumm witch was a great engine they should have left it alone 6.5 was an good diesel too powerfull and strong only problem it had was fuel supply but after recalled and fixed it was a great engine i go by facts and as of 2006 the best diesel between powerjoke,cumm and Dmax the best is DURAMAX

that is arguable, personally in my book it isnt a diesel unless it has a solid axle, with all the torque our(oilburners in general) engines produce, ifs just isnt a good choice, at least in my book, there are to many parts to break and plus the cv half shafts have three dimensions of stress to endure rather than just two like on solid axles dodge and ford still use Grin. p0ersonally if they brought bake the old c30 or the k5 with the same styling and solid axle with a dmax alison combo pushin it, i just wouldnt know what to do with myself, and im a born and raised ford man  

08:56 AM

Icon Quotestacy:
all three diesels have been decent the last five years.the 6.0 had its problems,but so did the duramax at first.and the pre 03 5.9's [24v] had terrible inj.&lift pumps.my opinion of the best of anything is how long it lasts and how close to "performing like it's new" while it lasts.the 5.9 is definitely that motor.it can take more abuse than any other diesel ever put in a light duty pickup.whether its stock or tuned up.there are 5.9's sled pulling with 250k miles on them.and i understand that they might not win every sled pull or drag race,but they win one or the other more than not.if the 6.7 turns out to be as good as the 5.9 was then cummins and dodge will still be the diesel pickup of choice.barring a cat powered truck.

well no *** the cummins is a *** good engine, hands down, but in the f 650 with a choice between the cummins and a cat, i think we can all agree on the cat, *** thats just to cool and yall know it, espicially since the cat comes with the allison tranny. Cool  

08:59 AM

Icon Quote6wheelstanley:
Not sure where all the bad info is coming from. I currently own an F350 crewcab, longbox, dually. Absolutely no problems and puts 4 big black lines on the pavement about 100ft long from a dead stop and runs mid 14's w/very minor mods.Also owned 2 7.3's and loved them also. note: best friends Dmax can't keep up and he's looking at an F350....sorry

dont be sorry stanley thats a good thing Smile  Grin  Wink  Tongue  

09:07 AM

Icon Quotecummins rider:
for a lot of you guys Cummins is releasing a new 6.7 engine in dodge trucks and i'm reading something like a lot of you are scared of the change... this summer I had the chance to run a 6.7 Cummins in a 2007 PC200LC8 excavator;if this engine is good enough for a worlwide industrial manufacturer like KOMATSU i think it's the best choice for trucks engine. Just think about the common rail equiped 5.9 engine;Rated at 300HP in a snow blower,reving 2650rpm all the day long(a true work day-18hours!!!)burnig something like a hundred gallons of fuel!!! well.............
CUMMINS RULES for DODGE TRUCKS others is just pick-ups Cool

now thats just down right *** cool, komatsu is puttin the 6.7 in thier excavaters? if a were in charge of dodges ad campaign that would be the commercial is the excavater then a black screen with white letters spellingENOUGH SAID Cool  

09:14 AM

Icon QuoteBCRAM:
Just remember 360 is the rated HP when the DMAX first came out it was rated at 300HP but when one of the local shops put one on the mustang dyno it was a disappointing 186HP. An episode of TRUCKS found the same results after some nice mods they showed 400HP.I would highly recommend closely looking at the trucks these motors come in. The GM guys talk about there car like ride but that comes at a cost. The front end won't take any weight. A buddy of mine put his camper on his Dmax and the front diff bent he had to buy an after market brace kit.The company that makes the kits to put a cummins in fords won't make one for GM because " The GM IFS cannot support the weight of the cummins." What about that frame? Dude, you can get high centered on a speed bump! It's to bad they won't change that frame and put a 60 up front it would be a sweet truck.

i love the way you think Laugh  

First |  Prev |  16 |  17 |  Next   | Last