Shut down procedure?

Diesel Power
Item Posts    Sort Order

Shut down procedure?

222mjh 222mjh
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 02/07
Posted: 03/01/07
08:35 PM

I have heard differant stories. Do you need to let the engine idle for a minute or so to let the turbo cool down before shut down or just shut down? Confused  

99 7.3 99 7.3
New User | Posts: 25 | Joined: 09/06
Posted: 03/05/07
11:06 PM

I let my truck run for a minute or two.  I don't get to do it all the time, but I do it as often as possible.  I let it run for 10 to 15 minutes if I haul something for a long distance or if what I'm hauling is heavy.  I let it run for a while if I dorve a long distance also.  

Jason Gonderman Jason Gonderman
Administrator | Posts: 439 | Joined: 12/06
Posted: 03/08/07
02:37 PM

It's best to add on an EGT gauge and then let the exhaust cool to a certain temp before shutting down. But if you are just cruising town I don't see it hurting to just shut down.  
------------------------------------------------------------
As soon as they offer a Ranger with a Diesel in America, I'll be the idiot camping out in front of the Ford Dealer!

JONG JONG
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 03/07
Posted: 03/12/07
09:08 PM

i have an odd 6 king and love it. it has intake and 5" exhaust from turbo back and a tuner, but i am concerned with egt and would like the best location on where to install one for my truck. can you help me on the specifics??  

lopp lopp
New User | Posts: 49 | Joined: 02/08
Posted: 03/02/08
12:58 PM

if you are just driving around town you dont need to let your turck idle but if you are driving at high speed like the highway or if your towing something you should let your truckk idle for a few mins because the turbo need to cool of and be oil  

blacksmoker blacksmoker
Enthusiast | Posts: 354 | Joined: 11/07
01:50 PM

let me give you the technical reasoning. the turbocharger has a steel shaft, that spins inside an aluminum bushing. steel retains heat better than aluminum, therefor it doesnt "shrink" as fast as aluminum after the heat is removed. so if you are working the engine hard and you stall or something, if you dont restart it right away the bushing will shrink onto the shaft leaving no room for oil to lubricate. the main purpose of idling before shutdown is so that both the shaft and bushing are as cool as possible with the engine running so it doesnt sieze up. it doesnt take long only a few minutes, the 15 minutes that 7.3 uses is probably excessive but better safe than sorry.  
1996 Ram 2500 reg. cab longbox, #6 plate, 191 Deliver valves, 60 hp injectors, star wheel turned up a lot, AFE Stage 2 intake into a Phat Shaft 62 wastgate set at 40 psi, 4" straight pipe, Auto Meter Gauges, ATS tranny and TC (unfortunately), Dick Cepek FC-II A/T 265 LR16 (good tires). FS-2500 Bypass Filter. The only hands that work on my truck are my own.

Member - Blowin' Smoke Gang

RudolfwdhveaCummins RudolfwdhveaCummins
New User | Posts: 15 | Joined: 02/08
02:17 PM

You can also refer to your owners manual. The creators of the Dodge manual suggest 45 seconds after freeway and 30 seconds around town.  
'06 Ram 5.9 6 spd. AFE 2 stage intake, 5" Magnaflow exhaust, Mopar JakeBrake, Diablosport programmer. 6" lift on 37X13.5 Toyo Open Countrys with 22" Mkws. 105 Gallon Auxillary Tank. More to come with fundage.

sandslinger79 sandslinger79
Enthusiast | Posts: 401 | Joined: 12/07
Posted: 03/03/08
10:03 AM

technicly you are supposed to let the egts come down to 200-300 deg now anyone running a commonrail cummins has probably found out this is damn near impossible if it was over 70deg outside so i would let it come down to 400. Now my 2001 cummins will cool down to under 300 in seconds.  
2006 Dodge ram 2500 Crew cab short bed, K&N intake, Bully Dog Triple Dog W/ Crazy Larry, Quadzilla boost fooler, Boost & Pyro on A-Pillar, Magnaflow Exhaust.

NEVER ARGUE WITH A IDIOT, THEY WILL LOWER YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE!!!