Power loss until truck warms up.

Diesel Power
Item Posts    Sort Order

Power loss until truck warms up.

Big_Pappa_Thump Big_Pappa_Thump
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 08/06
Posted: 04/01/07
08:13 PM

I have a 2002 Cummins 3/4 ton 4x4 and I have no power with the truck until it warms up. When I am driving it is very sluggish for a while and then all of the sudden it takes off. I have been told that the injectors are clogged and have tried different products to clean them out. Any advice on cleaning them or can I replace hte nozzels with an upgraded one? Thanks  

02CUMMINS 02CUMMINS
Enthusiast | Posts: 276 | Joined: 03/07
Posted: 04/01/07
09:37 PM

i would take them out and clean them if your not comfortable doing this yourself id take it to a mechanic  
02 Dodge Cummins. w/ Banks Six Gun w/Speed Loader,K&N Intake,4" exhaust, FASS 150gph,150hsp injectors,

Creyes Creyes
New User | Posts: 11 | Joined: 03/07
Posted: 04/04/07
06:56 PM

This could also be caused by your trucks ECM the ECM will not give your truck all the fuel untill the engin gets to about 150 degrees this is just a to prevent your engin from becoming damaged.  

Axemanlv Axemanlv
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 04/07
Posted: 04/18/07
11:18 PM

I have the same problem. Trying to get more info.

Axemanlv  

hustler_shan hustler_shan
Enthusiast | Posts: 430 | Joined: 03/07
Posted: 04/24/07
06:55 PM

well my pickup does this to but it has did it since the day i got it. when you start it up in the morning it sounds like crap but when your in a hurry and start it up and leave right away (((very hard on diesel engines))) it has absolutly no power i mean it wont move goose neck trailer untill it warms up when it is winter time and very cold.

see when i go down to the shop and drive the pickup up to the house about 60 yards and i put my foot in it very little and it does nothing i am thinking it is just cause diesels are not meant to be making power untill they are kind of warm.     like i said it wouldent move a goose neck trailer if i started it up and took off right away.    just let it sit and idol in the mornin for like 5 mins or more and you should be fine.  

if the problem still happens after you have let it waarm up then i would take it to the dealer.  
were pissin up a rope guys!!!

Big_Pappa_Thump Big_Pappa_Thump
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 08/06
Posted: 04/29/07
09:13 PM

Good news, I took my Dodge to a local Cummins mechanic, he called Dodge and they have been having problems with both the lift pump and injector pump, he said that they have been aware of the problem.
They replaced both of them under warranty. My Dodge runs like new.  

BCRAM BCRAM
Enthusiast | Posts: 672 | Joined: 11/06
Posted: 04/29/07
09:47 PM

I would still put a fuel pressure gauge in your truck. I've seen new lift pumps fail in as little as six months. Here's the fuel pressures. Idle – 10 to 14 psi
Cruising – 8 to 12 psi
Pulling a hill with trailer – 8 to 9 psi. You do not want to go below 8 psi this will damage your VP-44 injection pump.  
2002 Dodge Ram 6 SPD Fass pump, afe cold air, mbrp 4" ss exhaust, 275hp RV injectors, edge ez, isspro gauges, South Bend clutch, track bar updated to 03-07 style, dss steering stabilizer system, 285 Cooper Discover

"If it doesn't have tit's a trigger or a throttle I'm pretty much not interested!"

hustler_shan hustler_shan
Enthusiast | Posts: 430 | Joined: 03/07
Posted: 05/08/07
09:24 AM

yes i would to but it might cost a little much. im not sure but i have heard they are pretty spendy  
were pissin up a rope guys!!!