Ad Radar
Diesel Power
Mobile Icon BtnMobile Icon Btn RO
Newsletter

2005 LLY Duramax Diesel Air In Fuel, HELP?

Diesel Power
Item Posts    Sort Order

2005 LLY Duramax Diesel Air In Fuel, HELP?

DuramaxPower DuramaxPower
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 04/07
Posted: 04/24/07
06:12 PM

I have a 2005 duramax with about 40,000 miles and am having starting problems.  Every time i go to start the truck will not start, either i have to cycle the key 3 times and then it will start, or i loosen the bleeder and prime.  The truck will then start right up.  Every time i have to start i have this problem.  I change my filter every 3,000 miles and recently since this problem i have changed 2 other times to make sure it wasnt the filter, or o-rings.  Has anyone else had this problem or know what would be causing this.  thanks  

crockettchevyman crockettchevyman
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/07
Posted: 05/02/07
03:36 PM

I have just purchased a 03' duramax and am having starting issues.I took it in to the dealer and they cant find anything wrong.It has nearly 97,000 plus miles on it and I have to add starting fluid to get mine to start when hot.I am going to change the wix brand filter to the ac filter and see if it helps.Also I am going to thoroughly check the filters o-ring and seat to make sure none of the old o-rings are there making the ball type valve stick. I talked with one dealer and the mechanic said this is a common problem.I don't want to eat the 580$ for the fuel heater assembly which is what the fuel filter screws up and onto on the side of the block.If this helps please let me know your conclusions as well . thanks  

DuramaxPower DuramaxPower
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 04/07
Posted: 05/03/07
06:09 PM

I have checked everything that i can possibly do at home, and have even changed the filter 3 times to check for bad filters.  still have not found nothing to fix my problem.  the truck will be going to the shop tuesday to get looked at by one of gm's finest.  I have heard problems that can cause this filter, water in fuel sensor, bleeder screw, and injectors.  from the way you are talking with the problem with yours is that the injectors are losing vacuum and thus there is no prime or pressure.  There has been many problems with the lb7 engine.  Get that check out but i am 99% sure it is your injectors and i will also let you know what they find on my truck.  thanks for the reply.  

ksl2676 ksl2676
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 11/30/07
05:12 PM

well i have the same problem on the 04 duramax and i heard it was because of some o-ring/washer on the injectors going bad causing it to suck in air. i posted a new topic just today on it and waiting to see what is going on  

ksl2676 ksl2676
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 12/11/07
01:34 PM

i figured out my problem. ever sense i put on my new fuel filter at around 48000, i had to bleed out the air in my fuel system. well, i traced the airleek down to the bleed screw ontop of the fuel-filter housing. there is an o-ring on that screw and it was bad. only bad thing is you cannot just buy the o-ring because it is a special o-ring made by chevy. it is as thick as the normal ones. they are around 10.00 at chevrolet, but your also paying for the screw too.  

DieselGuru DieselGuru
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 03/18/08
11:02 PM

You Either Wanna Check The Bleeder Screw O-Ring Or The Filter O-Rings If That Doesnt Help You Might Wanna Check The Fuel Supply Line Because The Bosch CP3 Injection Pump Has A Engine Mounted Lift Pump So That Means That The Supply Line Will Be Under A Constant Vaccuum So Any Hole Even A Small One Will Suck In Air Which Can And Most Likley Will Cause Problems Down The Road If That Doesnt Solve Your Problems Check The Injectors And The Nozzles For Clogs And Excessive Wear If That Still Doesnt Solve Any Of Your Problems Tell Me And Ill Call My Mechanic Who Owns A Diesel Repair Shop And 3 Duramax-Equipped Thucks.... Good Luck!!!  
2003 Gmc Sierra 3500 Crew Cab Dually. 4" Silverline Turbo Back Exauast, S&B Air Intake, Banks Bullet..... For Now!!!

joeypaz joeypaz
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 06/10
Posted: 06/17/10
09:36 PM

Im having trouble with me duramax its a 2004 6.6  if anyboby could or know a mechanic that could help me with my problem. My truck started this a week ago, it has 120570 miles on it. when the truck is cold it will take a bit to start on the first crank, but when the is running for more then 5 minute and i turn it off the truck will not start it just crank.Ihave change the fuel filter and nothing  

dbrookscpi dbrookscpi
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 01/13
Posted: 01/05/13
12:46 PM

I have 350k on my duramax 6.6 it starts great when i run it a little while the check engine light comes on .I have to pull over and there it is air in the fuel but only when the motor gets hot  

farnsworth_78 farnsworth_78
New User | Posts: 33 | Joined: 08/08
Posted: 04/11/13
12:18 PM

once you guys fix your air leak problems a fass or airdog system will help keep constant fuel going.  

Bohab Bohab
User | Posts: 50 | Joined: 04/13
Posted: 04/13/13
09:29 PM

A FASS/airdog is not needed if you don't have air leaking into your fuel lines.  
-----
ASE certified Master Technician