2002 Dodge 5.9 Cummins oil leak

Diesel Power
Item Posts    Sort Order

2002 Dodge 5.9 Cummins oil leak

blkegn blkegn
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 06/07
Posted: 06/09/07
11:35 PM

I have a 2002 5.9 HO 4x4 with around 86000 miles on it.  Within this last year the truck has developed an oil leak coming from under the engine.  Every time truck is parked it leaves about a 3/4 inch oil spot on the ground.  Truck has been to 2 different Dodge Shops and no fix.  I was told that the leak is coming from crank case breather bottle and blow by tube on bottom of engine.  There fix was to tell me to service breather bottle more often and power wash bottom of motor while washing truck.  My question is why is the truck developing this problem now?  It did not do this when it was newer.  They did a pressurization test and said the motor is not blowing by any more oil than it should be.  Any thought?  I want to make sure there is not a deeper problem that is being over looked.  I will talk about the grinding inn the rear end later.  

2001cummins 2001cummins
User | Posts: 160 | Joined: 10/06
Posted: 06/10/07
10:57 AM

My 01 did the same thing to me, I thought it was the front seal going out so I took it to Dodge and they said it was the breather bottle too but mine was I didn't know you had to empty it every oil change, if you don't it leaks out and the fan blows it all over the motor, it's a mess.  
06 Dodge Cummins 2500 4x4, Edge Juice w/ Attitude w/ Hot Unlock, Predator 2018 STG 3, S@B Air Intake, CFM+ Intake Manifold, 5" Turboback Magnaflow, South Bend DD 3600 Street Comp, Top Gun Custumz leveling kit. Dyno- 495HP-962TQ, 15.20 in the 1/4 Hot only

blkegn blkegn
Posted: 06/10/07
11:16 AM

Yeah that is what the book says, but they serviced the actual bottle both times it was in the shop, but it still leaks the next day.  They also said there is just a tube with no bottle that runs off the bottom of the motor.  My concern is why is it leaking so much oil now when it used to not do that.  Does that mean my rings, or seals are going bad inside motor?  Is there an easy way to service that bottle?  I have a very hard time getting to it.  

stock4now stock4now
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 06/07
Posted: 06/11/07
06:17 PM

Is this problem only after its been driven hard? if thats the case its just a sign of rings wearing which is normal. after being driven hard and getting full boost the pressure in the crankcase gets higher and has to be relieved which is why that crankcase breather is there.mine has 120000 miles on it and does the same thing but only after its been driven hard. its not a sign of a problem either way its just the crankcase breather doing its job. if ever starts to leak more than that, thats when you should be worried  

blkegn blkegn
Posted: 06/11/07
11:14 PM

It seems to do it almost all the time.  I dont notice any difference when I pull a load or not.  GUess it is time to start being concerned.  

jimmyddec jimmyddec
New User | Posts: 11 | Joined: 04/07
Posted: 06/15/07
11:34 PM

You might also want to get the blow by checked. You will find out how many inches of water your eng is pushing. Sometimes the turbo will push boost pressure into the crankcase. I know this might cost as much as 150
.00 dollars but if you take it to a shop that has a dyno for pickups not OTR trucks. And if you take it to that kind of shop I can not remember what size orifice to use or the max blow by is, but if it is at max or higher than spec. have them put the turbo drain into a bucket and run it again and see what the reading is. If the reading drops under spec change the turbo or no change it is going to be rings.  

timkat67 timkat67
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/08
Posted: 07/31/08
08:42 AM

Two common oil leaks from the front of the motor also include the gear housing cover about 8 hours if you're adept or if you're like me, 20 hours but better than $3000 the mechanics will charge you.  The other appears to come from the front of the motor and will grease your engine front to back top to bottom but it really is from the power stearing pump, check out:  

http://www.fixinrams.com/id21.html

This should take about 2 hours of labor but dodge will insist on replacing the complete unit which alone they wanted $2200 for plus the labor.

both of these were found on my 02 at around 80k and now again at 178k.  DIY man  

backwoodsboy916 backwoodsboy916
Enthusiast | Posts: 260 | Joined: 10/06
Posted: 08/02/08
12:14 AM

I used to have a 99 ram, and it leaked a little spot of oil every night, about the size of a half dollar. Me and my dad replaced, checked and tightened every thing we could think of, and nothing helped. I didnt even take it to the dealer cause they are rarely ever help. I got to where every other day i would put oil in it, and after awhile i didnt even have to check it, i could eventually tell how much it needed. Well to make a long story short, one day i was suprised cause it didnt need oil, and it never leaked again. Sounds wierd, but it never leaked again.  
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 4 Door 4Wd Longbed 6SPD manual, Silverline 4 inch exhaust,ATS Performance Exhaust Manifold, K&N Intake,CFM Intake Manifold, Edge Juice w/Attitude, Recon Smoked Roof and Fender Lights, 285/70/17 Firestone M/Ts,  MUCH MUCH MORE to come, one day...when im not so BROKE.....

Member: Blowin Smoke Gang

dukeboy_318 dukeboy_318
Guru | Posts: 897 | Joined: 01/07
Posted: 08/02/08
03:29 AM

another very common over looked cause of leaks is that over time the oil pan bolts will loosen, mine was leaking a lot, on this last oil change, i noticed them loose, tightened them down and degreased and powerwashed off the oil and it hasnt leaked since.  also check for leaks around your vaccum pump, that also tends to leak over time.  
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 24 valve, 5spd with south bend 550hp+ clutch, 150 horse injectors, Fram Boost intake(for now), Edge Juice with attitude, 150 gph fass fuel pump and much more, all together 450 dyno proven HP and 1170 ft lbs.
DPMAG May Ride of the Month

and a quote from Dmax007-  this site is entirely the blind leading the blind. nobody on this site has the balls to stand up to this stupid blowin smoke gang. got news for you, i do.  

Recruiter/member of the Blowing Smoke Gang!

CMEP5-18-98 CMEP5-18-98
New User | Posts: 24 | Joined: 02/08
Posted: 08/04/08
05:13 PM

check your oil level if it is over half way it can be blowen out of the b-by tube.  
04.5 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab 4X4