Diesel Power
1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

burning transmission fluid

FORDTRANSTECH FORDTRANSTECH
User | Posts: 58 | Joined: 04/07
Posted: 06/13/07
10:06 AM

you may have heard the old school diesel trick to put a quart of trans fluid in your fuel tank to clean and lubricate the fuel system. well me and a couple other guys in my area took it a step further, like running 50% or even 100% trans fluid for fuel. i have a 1999 powerstroke and i usually run 50% or less. a friend has a 1991 7.3l idi running 100% trans fluid. we get it for free from doing trans flushes. very small loss of power and mileage but who cares free fuel. no problems running it so far. we have a truck that has run it for 25,000 miles so far without any problems.
just thought it would be an interesting thread.  
99' SUPER DUTY, CUSTOM POWER MODULE, CUSTOM EXHAUST, CUSTOM SHIFT KIT, TORQUESHIFT TRANS COOLER, WORKING ON CUSTOM INJECTORS.

JoshW3235p JoshW3235p
User | Posts: 51 | Joined: 08/07
Posted: 08/23/07
06:31 PM

i bet your truck smokes a like train with that stuff.  
2006 Dodge Cummins 2500Q 4x4 SLT. AEM Workhorse Induction. DiabloSport Predator  stacked w/ PowerPuck, BD Deep Transmission Pan, All Royal Purple Fluids, Line-X(Over The Rail), Access Tonneau, 5% Window Tint. Recon Bed Lights, LED Bar and Tail Lights. 17 x 9 Pro Comp 6001series with Pro Comp Extreme A/T Tires (305/60R/17), Rough Country Leveling Kit, Rancho 9000 shocks. Silverline 4in Dual Exhaust

IAFF- Local 805

Jason Gonderman Jason Gonderman
Administrator | Posts: 439 | Joined: 12/06
Posted: 08/27/07
02:47 PM

That has got to be the worst smelling exhaust ever... lol  
------------------------------------------------------------
As soon as they offer a Ranger with a Diesel in America, I'll be the idiot camping out in front of the Ford Dealer!

Posted: 08/28/07
09:52 AM

it really doesnt smoke other than on cold mornings. ya it doesnt smell too great either. but you cant complain for the price.  
99' SUPER DUTY, CUSTOM POWER MODULE, CUSTOM EXHAUST, CUSTOM SHIFT KIT, TORQUESHIFT TRANS COOLER, WORKING ON CUSTOM INJECTORS.

Jason Gonderman Jason Gonderman
Administrator | Posts: 439 | Joined: 12/06
10:36 AM

Question... Arn't you guys worried about how thick trans fluid is compared to #2? Have you seen any issues with pumps yet? Just out of sheer curiosity...  
------------------------------------------------------------
As soon as they offer a Ranger with a Diesel in America, I'll be the idiot camping out in front of the Ford Dealer!

bluetech151 bluetech151
Guru | Posts: 1304 | Joined: 06/07
06:35 PM

what about metal shavings from the auto trans there has to be metal shavings in that trans fluid

that could equal pumps,injectors,piston rings going out and I know some metal shavings are going through the filter

just maybe you might have a strong magnet to get all of the metal shavings

just worring thats all safty in mind but if this is an experiment on that 91 go for it and tell us how many miles yall get on it running ATF 25,000 I want to see over 75,000 plus but all in all good luck

150,000 miles or more sounds better  
Diesel Power: It'll eat up anything in its path and spit out pure charcoal.

Posted: 08/29/07
09:55 AM

yes at first we were worried about thick fluid so we started with very small amounts and worked our way up untill eventually we tried 100%. my friend with the 7.3l idi was running 100% inthe winter even. it would start fine if it was plugged in, but wouldnt start if not. he then started running one tank on strait #2 and the other on strait trans fluid.
as far as metal goes, i use an old fuel pump from a super duty that made noise to pump the fluid. then i run a 5 micron inline trans filter inline to a 3 micron inline gasoline fuel filter.  

Stroken97 Stroken97
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 09/07
Posted: 09/28/07
07:20 PM

I have been burning transmission 50/50 for about 2000 miles in my 97 powerstroke. No adverse effects so far. The truck doesn't seem to know the difference. No loss of power. No hard cranks. Might have even gained a mile to the gallon.  

murmanpsd7.3 murmanpsd7.3
Enthusiast | Posts: 411 | Joined: 08/07
Posted: 09/28/07
08:46 PM

haha this is amazing, i love some of the crap you can burn in a diesel engine.. haha i am seriously laughing at this, haha what an awesome idea, next thing you know someone is gonna try radiator fluid...lol just kidding. but i bet somewhere someone has probably tried that.. haha wow that is seriously amazing. i mean from a purely chemical standpoint i would guess that it probably has an almost identical comp to diesel but i never would have even though about something like that. just filter the crap out of it, you could probably benefit from putting a little magnet in one of those filters if it didn't restrict too much...  
'99 7.3 psd, afe stage 2 magnum force intake, banks six gun tuner(+62rwhp), superchips 1705 max micro tuner(+110hp), 4" mandrel bent exuast, 6" lift, ranch hand front and rear replacement bumpers, custom lights and lots of other cool gee-wiz stuff.
member- blowin smoke gang

Posted: 10/01/07
08:46 AM

THE TRANS FILTER I USE ACTUALLY HAS A MAGNET IN IT.  

Stroken97 Stroken97
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 09/07
Posted: 10/01/07
05:48 PM

Where did you get the filter?  

Posted: 10/02/07
09:36 AM

from the dealer i work at. it is a transmission inline filter kit. i know you can also get them in the aftermarket but dont know where.  

ford351w ford351w
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 11/10/07
10:41 AM

Do you know as any used it in a 6.0 yet?  

JoshW3235p JoshW3235p
User | Posts: 51 | Joined: 08/07
Posted: 11/19/07
10:08 PM

I read this magazine article the other day, it was similar to popular mechanics or something. This guy mods diesel engines for people...like Gov. Arnold and Jay Leno...anyway...he put a modified duramax in a hummer h2, strained mcdonalds grease thru a pair of blue jeans and poured it in, hooked up some Hydrogen injection. He claims he's making 800 hp max, and like 40+mpg driving normal. I'll find that article again and post the specifics. it was an amazing read. Even if he did choose a ducolax. LOL  
2006 Dodge Cummins 2500Q 4x4 SLT. AEM Workhorse Induction. DiabloSport Predator  stacked w/ PowerPuck, BD Deep Transmission Pan, All Royal Purple Fluids, Line-X(Over The Rail), Access Tonneau, 5% Window Tint. Recon Bed Lights, LED Bar and Tail Lights. 17 x 9 Pro Comp 6001series with Pro Comp Extreme A/T Tires (305/60R/17), Rough Country Leveling Kit, Rancho 9000 shocks. Silverline 4in Dual Exhaust

IAFF- Local 805

VWdiesel VWdiesel
User | Posts: 102 | Joined: 12/07
Posted: 12/11/07
12:03 PM

ya i love diesel u can run em on just about anything just filter it good,, run em for free with lots of power.

HAHA stupid gassers!  
'81 VW caddy diesel 3.5 inch exhaust,, smokes reel good and sounds like a big truck now. and still gits 46 mpg!

'93 F250 cold air intake , straight pipe w/ 5" stack

1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last