Tahoe conversion??

Diesel Power
Item Posts    Sort Order

Tahoe conversion??

SUVDiesel SUVDiesel
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/07
Posted: 07/20/07
02:10 PM

I'm in need of a full-size vehicle, good fuel mileage (20+ MPG), occasional pulling (nothing too heavy), room for at least 6 passengers, and 4x4 capability.  

For room and 4x4 I figured that I need to go SUV (vs. van). A 4 door, Tahoe/Yukon/Expedition size would be about right.

For mileage and pulling (and other of reasons besides) I'd like to go diesel.

Problem is that the Suburbans are too long for my application (maneuverability), but I need four doors and the Tahoe class diesels don't come in 4door (to my knowledge).

Because of this I was considering a conversion of a gas-burner 4door Tahoe (mid-late 90's) to a diesel.  My preference is a Cummins and I've been looking all over the diesel boards about how to go get this done.

After reading a lot of different stories, I've been wondering if it might be easier to find a Dodge truck, increase the rear-diff ration (maybe even swap trans if necessary) to get better mileage, and drop the Tahoe body on it?

I guess if this won't work, finding a 2500 Tahoe would be the easiest to use in doing a conversion to a Cummins??

If all else fails, maybe I can just put a 6.2 Chevy in the Tahoe... there are some available that have come out of CUCV HUMVEEs....

Any ideas?  

nevrenufhp nevrenufhp
User | Posts: 111 | Joined: 02/07
Posted: 07/21/07
04:55 PM

By far, the quickest & most painless would be a 6.2 or 6.5.  
Daily driver: 67 F100, 300, 4V,cam, 4 spd, soon to be Ford 6.6 from 92 F600
My low buck fuel rate site:
www.freewebs.com/nevrenufhp/index.htm

bluetech151 bluetech151
Guru | Posts: 1304 | Joined: 06/07
Posted: 07/21/07
05:56 PM

I say if you have the 700R4 trans get a lower stall t.conv the 700R4 can handle the torque I have a 350 on one thats pushing about 280hp 400ft of torque thats 80hp and 100ft. over stock with the stock tranny but any way drop a 6.2 in it if you want a little more go to banks but please read the 6.2 build-up in the tech section on the top of the page just click "tech" and scroll to the bottom then click 2nd page this will give you some helpful info by the way make sure you have a doner for the heart transplant  
Diesel Power: It'll eat up anything in its path and spit out pure charcoal.

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Administrator | Posts: 2112 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 07/23/07
11:58 AM

I think Four Wheeler did a story a few years ago on a guy back in Ohio that did a Duramax swap into a 2500 Suburban. It was quite a surgery. Definitely not a plug & play solution. The big kicker (literally and figuratively) is the Allison tranny. That thing is really monstrous.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/featuredvehicles/129_0407_chevrolet_duramax_suburban/index.html  

tbutch tbutch
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 11/20/07
02:07 AM

Did you ever find a way to convert the Tahoe ?

I have one want to convert a 2001.

Thanks