Fuel In Crankcase

Diesel Power
Item Posts    Sort Order

Fuel In Crankcase

dirtybert dirtybert
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 08/07
Posted: 08/18/07
10:43 AM

I have a 1984 Ford E-350 Diesel. It was running good untill it warmed up and I started to pull a grade and all of a sudden, it started knocking and blowin'black smoke. So I would stop and let it cool (it wasn't overheating) down and it would start an run good untill I would pull the next grade and it would start knockin' and blowin'black smoke as I reached the top. So after two times I checked the oil and it showed about 1 quart down so I figured it was in the engine. I was at my driveway so I pulled it home after it cooled down. I waited a few days and was going to start it, so I checked the oil and the dip-stick showed it was full to the to top of the block with diesel. My question is where would this diesel come from? Thank You Dirty Bert Confused  

97cummins 97cummins
User | Posts: 193 | Joined: 07/07
Posted: 08/30/07
02:28 AM

How many miles are on your truck?As for when your truck would smoke when your pulling a grade, I am suspecting your injectors are worn and their spraying more fuel into your cylinders than what your cylinders can burn properly. Are your injectors the origanals since the truck was new? I'll get back to you on the fuel in your engine.Hope this gives you an idea of what to start looking for.  
afe stage 1,#10 fuel plate,bd torque lock,rear suspension air
bags,4"turbo back exhaust,banks twin ram,line-x,windows tinted,3000 rpm governor springs,3guage a-piller and more to come.4"exhaust straight piped,turbo silencer ring mia,"member-blowin-smoke gang"

murmanpsd7.3 murmanpsd7.3
Enthusiast | Posts: 411 | Joined: 08/07
Posted: 08/30/07
05:19 PM

wow, this sounds like kind of a dangerous deal, i don't know alot about diesels but common sense would tell me that that is really bad. now i am by no means any kind of certified mechanic and i may be wrong, (guys help me out) but i would think that you are gonna need to have your whole oil system flushed, and if your injectors are leaking into your cylinders and it is making it down into the crankcase, then you are probably in for a crapload of work for her... probably a whole engine rebuild... but don't take my word for it...  
'99 7.3 psd, afe stage 2 magnum force intake, banks six gun tuner(+62rwhp), superchips 1705 max micro tuner(+110hp), 4" mandrel bent exuast, 6" lift, ranch hand front and rear replacement bumpers, custom lights and lots of other cool gee-wiz stuff.
member- blowin smoke gang

97cummins 97cummins
Posted: 09/02/07
05:57 PM

As for your fuel in your engine,i am know thinking that your rings are worn out.Thats probably how your crankcase got full of fuel,The fuel that wasn't burned leaked past your rings into your oilpan. Your engine is most likely going to need to be flushed out,including your crankcase. I hate to tell you this, but you might be better off doing a full engine rebuild.  
bags,4"turbo back exhaust,banks twin ram,line-x,windows tinted,3000 rpm governor springs,3guage a-piller and more to come.4"exhaust straight piped,turbo silencer ring mia,"member-blowin-smoke gang"

dirtybert dirtybert
Posted: 10/10/07
01:37 PM

I wasn't shinin-you on I just don't get to town to check my mail every day.I kind was thinkin down the same line. I guess I can check out the injectors .I got new copper gaskets and the set that comes for the injectors.Thanks if you hear of any other possibiltys let me know. dirty bert  

dirtybert dirtybert
Posted: 10/10/07
01:39 PM

Icon Quote97cummins:
As for your fuel in your engine,i am know thinking that your rings are worn out.Thats probably how your crankcase got full of fuel,The fuel that wasn't burned leaked past your rings into your oilpan. Your engine is most likely going to need to be flushed out,including your crankcase. I hate to tell you this, but you might be better off doing a full engine rebuild.

I wasn't shinin-you on I just don't get to town to check my mail every day.I kinda was thinkin down the same line. I guess I can check out the injectors .I got new copper gaskets and the set that comes for the injectors.Thanks if you hear of any other possibiltys let me know. dirty bert  

97cummins 97cummins
Posted: 10/12/07
02:33 AM

No sweat,don't worry about it.I havn't been logging in lately because once i reply to a question or reply,on the forum section i get thrown out of it and a comment comes up and says permission denied.The computer people for this web sight are still working on it so if you don't hear anything thats why.I'll let you know if i have any more thoughts.Later.  

jbriere jbriere
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/08
Posted: 02/20/08
08:51 PM

If I am not mistaken ford used a gear driven fuel pump and I was thinking of any place fuel could come into contact with engine oil it would be through the drive gear seal if you were getting fuel in past the rings the engine would probably not run if an injector was putting that much fuel into you engine. your running engine would push it out the exhaust so if you were to pull your exhaust you should see a lot of fuel otherwise you just need to think of where fuel comes in contact (or sepperated by gasket or seal) as fuel will be a much higher pressure and will go to the oil side. hope this helps.