Diesel Power
Mobile Icon BtnMobile Icon Btn RO
Newsletter

Tuners, Programmers, Chips (Which is best)

Diesel Power
1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

Tuners, Programmers, Chips (Which is best)

JoshW3235p JoshW3235p
User | Posts: 51 | Joined: 08/07
Posted: 08/22/07
07:09 PM

I would like to see an article or survey whichever...addressing a common question that I have run into.

Which electronic performance products are best for each vehicle. Now I realize that this question is quite broad and open to alot of interpretation. Maybe compare make/model with each programmer, and include real information like real world fuel mileage, HP gains at the wheels, etc.

I know that I personally am in the market for a diesel tuner for my 06 dodge 2500Q. Every manufacturer tells you that their product is the best, and the claims they use to back those claims up are all basically the same. So for a novice like myself, I would be highly interesting in hearing alot of other opinions, backed up with real world numbers.

Perhaps this issue has already been visited, if so, I apologise. Any information that anyone could provide would be wonderful.

Thanks  
2006 Dodge Cummins 2500Q 4x4 SLT. AEM Workhorse Induction. DiabloSport Predator  stacked w/ PowerPuck, BD Deep Transmission Pan, All Royal Purple Fluids, Line-X(Over The Rail), Access Tonneau, 5% Window Tint. Recon Bed Lights, LED Bar and Tail Lights. 17 x 9 Pro Comp 6001series with Pro Comp Extreme A/T Tires (305/60R/17), Rough Country Leveling Kit, Rancho 9000 shocks. Silverline 4in Dual Exhaust

IAFF- Local 805

Dieseldude03 Dieseldude03
Enthusiast | Posts: 357 | Joined: 01/07
07:28 PM

For my personal needs/wants, the Edge "hot" Juice with Attitude monitor was hard to beat. Though not the most powerful option on the market, it's a good mix of power, driver convenience and safety for the truck. Just my opinion.  
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4. H.O. Cummins, 6spd manual trans, 4.10 gearing. Intake, Exhaust, Hot Juice, HTT HTB2 62/12/65, Jake Brake, 305-65R17 (33 x 12.50) Pro-Comp Extreme All Terrains, SBC Con O FE, Fuel Tank Vent Mod,  Various other gizmos.

I-6 Cummins guys are keepin' it straight. Those other boys swing both ways.

bluetech151 bluetech151
Guru | Posts: 1303 | Joined: 06/07
08:43 PM

I like Banks because of the fuel curves in my opinion if you need more power just add higher horsepower injectors

they also have lots of safety features  
Diesel Power: It'll eat up anything in its path and spit out pure charcoal.

bluetech151 bluetech151
Guru | Posts: 1303 | Joined: 06/07
Posted: 08/23/07
11:53 AM

well sometimes it is a personnal prefrence on which is best and sometimes it is which one is really the best
you have to take into account HP gain in rpm range that is stated 3400 vs. stock 3200rpm,tranny smart,fuel curves,fuel timing,fuel pulse,boost mapping,and there are various other things that makes a "chip" to be the best of the best  
Diesel Power: It'll eat up anything in its path and spit out pure charcoal.

Jason Gonderman Jason Gonderman
Administrator | Posts: 439 | Joined: 12/06
01:09 PM

What brand underware do you like best?

Same type of question.

It's all personal preference. Pick the one that provides the power gains and added features that you desire. Most of them do the same things, but they all have their little quarks.

Really it is easier to get an answer if you have a specific question, like which one monitors egt better or which one looks cooler. Which one is the best is a hard question to answer...  
------------------------------------------------------------
As soon as they offer a Ranger with a Diesel in America, I'll be the idiot camping out in front of the Ford Dealer!

Dieseldude03 Dieseldude03
Enthusiast | Posts: 357 | Joined: 01/07
02:11 PM

Cool Fruit of the Loom! Cool  
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4. H.O. Cummins, 6spd manual trans, 4.10 gearing. Intake, Exhaust, Hot Juice, HTT HTB2 62/12/65, Jake Brake, 305-65R17 (33 x 12.50) Pro-Comp Extreme All Terrains, SBC Con O FE, Fuel Tank Vent Mod,  Various other gizmos.

I-6 Cummins guys are keepin' it straight. Those other boys swing both ways.

RSieck RSieck
New User | Posts: 11 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 10/12/07
12:52 PM

Well why can't you do a test?  Just take your big 3, say a 06' Ford 6.0, a 06' Cummins and a 06' DMax, strap them all to a dyno, and spend a couple days installing programmers/chips in them all, and do a comparison of HP, TQ, Egts and whatever else...Mileage would be hard to do unless you had a couple weeks with each truck, and a lot of free time to just go tooling around...  

TXcharger07 TXcharger07
User | Posts: 55 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 11/12/07
05:19 AM

ya... thats a really good idea imo  
i want a cummins...

or a 06 GTO...

or a 06 GTO with a cummins TXcharger07

GnatCook GnatCook
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 11/12/07
08:50 AM

As a new diesel owner, I too would like to see a comparison of tuners.  My concerns center around my new 6.7L Cummins and warranty issues, detection and performance improvements.  I'm very familiar with what tuners do since I used to drag race and tune my Mustang.  I'm not familiar with diesel technology and can't afford to rush out a buy something that will possibly void my warranty because it left a telltale fingerprint in the ECM or elsewhere.  Thanks.  
07.5 6.7L Dodge 3500, 68RFE, QC, LB, 4x4, DRW
Albuquerque, NM

JoshW3235p JoshW3235p
User | Posts: 51 | Joined: 08/07
Posted: 11/19/07
09:50 PM

Warranty Swarranty...there are gonna stick it to you with just about anything if they can. If mine blows up..I plan on blowing it up good, With pieces of turbo spoils and valves like shrapnel in the ecm. that'll show em. Download THAT> LOL  
2006 Dodge Cummins 2500Q 4x4 SLT. AEM Workhorse Induction. DiabloSport Predator  stacked w/ PowerPuck, BD Deep Transmission Pan, All Royal Purple Fluids, Line-X(Over The Rail), Access Tonneau, 5% Window Tint. Recon Bed Lights, LED Bar and Tail Lights. 17 x 9 Pro Comp 6001series with Pro Comp Extreme A/T Tires (305/60R/17), Rough Country Leveling Kit, Rancho 9000 shocks. Silverline 4in Dual Exhaust

IAFF- Local 805

SteeleRice SteeleRice
New User | Posts: 10 | Joined: 09/09
Posted: 10/16/09
10:12 PM

I know a little bit about programmers and chips and i know that they are all different but i was wondering what most chips focused on. I know some do timing advancement and the fuel curve but was wondering if there are other changes they make.  

71diesel 71diesel
New User | Posts: 29 | Joined: 10/09
Posted: 10/29/09
07:35 AM

In my opinion a chip or a tuner or a programmer is just a sup up for a computer geek. What happened to turning up the pumps and putting a bigger turbo on it? I know on the electronics part you can't really turn the pump up(fuel metering is registered by pulse width) but you still can bump up the pressure with different fuel pumps and like I said, put a bigger squirell cage on the thing Laugh . Or like in the previous thread, bigger injector nozzles. Sure the chips are fast, but that is what a computer geek would do. Not a diesel tuner.  

dsirekis dsirekis
New User | Posts: 8 | Joined: 12/08
Posted: 11/01/09
09:38 AM

bullydog(powerpup) throws a lot power but tranny has a hard time ford is what i have now a predator been pretty good so far all you can do is sspend monie and see go to blogs forums dont take the word from a sales guy even one you trust i was told sct was a good one by a dealer but go to a comments pg and you see diff also ats but if nobody that buys can say anything nice cancel that one out and move on to nextjust a thought  

megaboy megaboy
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 06/10
Posted: 06/28/10
11:24 AM

you could go for the smarty as they don't leave any foot prints and they are gentle on a stock tranny. then after you warranty goes it's game on! this is what im getting for my stock dodge.  

theSLEEPER. theSLEEPER.
Guru | Posts: 1748 | Joined: 04/08
Posted: 06/28/10
07:29 PM

CR Cummins-Smarty
12V Cummins-Screw Driver
7.3 PowerStroke-6 Position Custom tuned TS Style Chip Or DP Tuner Chip
6.0 PowerStroke-SCT with Custom Tunes
6.4 PowerStroke-Different options of tuners, but TSD, Innovative, and Elite all are good.
Duramax-EFI Live

That's the run down from all I've researched each.  
DIESEL INNOVATIONS

Call me for all your performance part needs!

228-365-Zero Six Nine Eight!

$1150 shipped for Garrett 6.0 PowerMax's.
$1350 shipped for 7.3  38R's!

1 |  2 |  Next   | Last