Diesel Power
Prev |  1 |  2
Item Posts    Sort Order

catalytic converter

Karl L Karl L
User | Posts: 50 | Joined: 03/07
Posted: 10/06/07
06:51 PM

I feel like a dork, what I thought was a cat on my truck was actually the resenator! How in the world an "authorized" Ford dealer sold me my truck used with a piece of pipe where the cat was suppose to be is beyond me. Mad  But then again these were the same BONE HEADS that put a service sticker calling for a 3000 mile oil change, NOT the book recommended 7500!  
2003 6.0 PSD, Edge Juice Platinum, Airaid/big ol'hole ram air, 4" turbo-back, TureTrac, 5" lift, 35X14.5 Toyos,& bright RED!!

BCRAM BCRAM
Enthusiast | Posts: 672 | Joined: 11/06
Posted: 10/06/07
07:11 PM

Your book says 7500? That seams kinda high are you sure it's not kilometers? 7500 miles on synthetic and a good soot filter is OK but I don't care what the book says I would not run conventional oil with a stock filter for that long.  
2002 Dodge Ram 6 SPD Fass pump, afe cold air, mbrp 4" ss exhaust, 275hp RV injectors, edge ez, isspro gauges, South Bend clutch, track bar updated to 03-07 style, dss steering stabilizer system, 285 Cooper Discover

"If it doesn't have tit's a trigger or a throttle I'm pretty much not interested!"

Karl L Karl L
User | Posts: 50 | Joined: 03/07
Posted: 10/07/07
09:18 PM

You're completely right, the people who spent HUGE R&D dollars on my Powerstroke and made the service requirements up were IDIOTS!!   Crazy  Read the print on Valvoline diesel oil in a gallon bottle, then look up the service requirements for a Powerstroke, yours too for that matter. Changing your diesel oil at 3000 or 3500 is like changing the oil in your gas motor every 1000 miles. Why not? 4 gallons of diesel oil and filters are cheap!!! Smirk  
2003 6.0 PSD, Edge Juice Platinum, Airaid/big ol'hole ram air, 4" turbo-back, TureTrac, 5" lift, 35X14.5 Toyos,& bright RED!!

NuFlame13 NuFlame13
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 11/01/07
08:59 AM

Ive got a 2006 LLY with 6-Speed Auto.  Ive got the banks exhaust now but i like the stacks.  What does anyone recommend?  Keep the Cat or not?  Also I have the 6 gun PDA.  Will removing the cat interefere with the diagnostics or does anyone know?

2006 GMC Sierra
LLY 6-Speed Auto
8" Fabtech
Banks Ram Air,
6-Gun w/ PDA
Dual Monster Exhaust  

sailordave sailordave
New User | Posts: 24 | Joined: 09/07
Posted: 11/01/07
10:54 AM

To keep or not to keep, that is the question. If you happen to be one of the only ones that give a *** about emissions you can always buy an aftermarket cat to replace to original. Magnaflow makes aftermarket cats up to 5" inlet and outlet. That would probably be the best of both worlds. There are many af termarket cats available up to 6", it would seem that they would flow more than stock. Before you chop, check your state requirements. If you are required to have one and you're caught without one it could be expensive.  

sp33dracerman sp33dracerman
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/09
Posted: 11/05/09
09:55 AM

ok so I did some reasearch and found out that if you are not in california or not licing in ca with a ca emissions truck you need to get your cat from here magnaflow catalytic converter but if you are in cali you need to the this one California magnaflow Catalytic Converter it took me 5 phone calls to them to get this figured out but now Im glad i did  

MarineOne MarineOne
Addict | Posts: 2059 | Joined: 09/08
Posted: 11/06/09
12:42 AM

I believe there was an article in DP a few months ago about exhaust flow and HP/torque numbers with and without the cat.

There was no perceived difference on the dyno without the cat than with it on.

If you're in a state like the Demokratik People's Republik of Kalifornia then I suggest you keep it on.  They are really starting to crack down on emissions related violations.

Kris  

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 5.9L - Smarty CR S-06 on SW #5

2008 Dodge Ram 3500 QC 6.7L - H&S MiniMaxx on DPF tune for towing
Titan Fuel Tank
Aero Muffler 4040XL
Nathan AirChime K3LA

01 24 valve 01 24 valve
Enthusiast | Posts: 317 | Joined: 11/09
Posted: 11/12/09
10:43 AM

take it off thats all i can say my dad has a 1991 chevy half ton 4 speed standard and i know its a gas but he took it off now its just got the muffler now the truck has way more power and gets way better mileage  
2001 dodge ram 2500 ext cab short box 5 speed 4 inch down pipe into 5 inch strait pipe exhaust into 6 inch chrome dual aussie stacks, 90hp injectors with 200hp tips, quadzilla adrenaline tuner with monitor , ,  bd lift pump, AFE stage 2 cold air intake, ARP head studs, ATS three piece exhaust manifold with t4 flange,Garrett ta45 turbo southbend dual disc 750hp clutch with 1 3/8" input shaft

01 24 valve 01 24 valve
Posted: 11/12/09
10:44 AM

take it off thats all i can say my dad has a 1991 chevy half ton 4 speed standard and i know its a gas but he took it off now its just got the muffler now the truck has way more power and gets way better mileage  
2001 dodge ram 2500 ext cab short box 5 speed 4 inch down pipe into 5 inch strait pipe exhaust into 6 inch chrome dual aussie stacks, 90hp injectors with 200hp tips, quadzilla adrenaline tuner with monitor , ,  bd lift pump, AFE stage 2 cold air intake, ARP head studs, ATS three piece exhaust manifold with t4 flange,Garrett ta45 turbo southbend dual disc 750hp clutch with 1 3/8" input shaft

LDay0 LDay0
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 12/10
Posted: 12/29/10
01:45 PM

I have an '02 Duramax that came with the stock exhaust system but with straight pipe in place of the stock muffler. I am wanting to lose the catalytic converter but was told by the exhaust shop its a $2500 fine if your caught without it. I am very satisfied with the sound presently and do not want it too loud, so would removing the cat make it much more noticeably loud?  

01 24 valve 01 24 valve
Posted: 12/30/10
04:13 PM

i dont think so but cops never pull u over for that like they dont even know wat that is lol like if your vehicle is to loud there not gona be like hey let me check underneath your truck so youll be fine  

LDay0 LDay0
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 12/10
Posted: 02/21/11
06:50 AM

Alright, just purchased an '08 duramax bone stock. Would like to lose the whole restrictive system. It has 75k on it so not too worried about voiding the warranty. Mainly would like to get the exhaust system as efficient as on my LB7. Any suggestions?  

jason.thompson jason.thompson
Guru | Posts: 839 | Joined: 06/08
Posted: 02/21/11
09:12 AM

I'd say its better to leave it on. Remember how back in the 80's everyone thought it was better to take the cat off because it felt like it had made more power?

Turns out it was all in their heads and not supported by dyno runs. You couldn't find a shop today who would take the cat off a new Corvette and put in a straight pipe, they would just look at you funny.

Still factory DPFs pretty much suck. The aftermarket is hard at work on coming up
with a new solutions. Canning and cleaning the DPF.

I met Rich Schevis at a party at work. The company he works forDiesel Emission Technologies uses waste heat to reform syngas from diesel fuel and injects it into the DPF lowering the burn off heat needed to carry out the reaction. We talked for about an hour on how diesel enthusiasts need to look to the future. I like diesel performance but I also like breathing clean air, hunting, fishing, enjoying the outdoors, and people's health.  

This would create jobs for shops and give people a workable solution. I've even heard of some serious diesel drag rails who are going to put one on. It would take a shop ten years of cleaning
filters before they had to call someone to come get the stuff that would  
otherwise go into our lungs.

I think we should correct ourselves before the man does (they tend to overreact).

Smoke on the street is a bad idea is you really want to be able to modify your diesels in the future.  
___

My personal goals include developing perpetual motion and bringing power to the people. I’m also working on building a ’87 Ford F-250 7.3L IDI (Project 300) on a paycheck- to-paycheck budget. One day, I’d like it to be a renewable diesel-steam-hydraulic-compressed- air-wind-solar-infinitely-variable-transmission-equipped hybrid, but until then, I’m just happy to have a simple diesel-powered pickup.

jason.thompson@sorc.com

Prev |  1 |  2