Diesel Power
1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

Cummins' Pulling RV's

WorkHard.PlayHard WorkHard.PlayHard
New User | Posts: 24 | Joined: 08/07
Posted: 08/22/07
08:10 PM

I posted this on the Ford v. Chevy v. Dodge thread because I thought it was relevent.  Thought the Dodge people might really like to hear it.

I do a lot of interstate driving and began to notice all the transport trucks pulling new RV's (5th wheels/travel trailers) to various location via I-80.  So I started to tally each brand for a six month period.  What I discovered was Dodge accounted for just under 60% of all the tow vehicles, while Ford was 25% and Chevy was 15%.  This is by no means a scientific study, but what it tells me is if I want fuel ecocomy and reliablility I should buy a Dodge to pull my RV.  

bluetech151 bluetech151
Guru | Posts: 1304 | Joined: 06/07
Posted: 08/22/07
08:27 PM

guess it all depends on where you live Fords 60%,Dodges 25%,and Chevys 15%  
Diesel Power: It'll eat up anything in its path and spit out pure charcoal.

Jason Gonderman Jason Gonderman
Administrator | Posts: 439 | Joined: 12/06
Posted: 08/23/07
02:25 PM

Yea out here (SoCal) the split would be more like what bluetech posted. Out in the desert or Glamis all you see are SuperDuty's towing the monster toy haulers, not so many Dodges for some reason.  
------------------------------------------------------------
As soon as they offer a Ranger with a Diesel in America, I'll be the idiot camping out in front of the Ford Dealer!

JoshW3235p JoshW3235p
User | Posts: 51 | Joined: 08/07
05:48 PM

I live in Kentucky. I have noticed a substantially larger amount of Dodge Trucks. Seems everyone in Central Kentucky has a diesel truck of some kind...but then again I might be crazy and notice the Dodges more because I drive one.

Who Knows....I'll keep an eye out. But my best friend has a 00 Ford 350 PS, and my Dodge 2500 will smoke his on fuel mileage with roughly the same load. Could also be a fluke. But I've heard less and less good about the un-modified ford.  
2006 Dodge Cummins 2500Q 4x4 SLT. AEM Workhorse Induction. DiabloSport Predator  stacked w/ PowerPuck, BD Deep Transmission Pan, All Royal Purple Fluids, Line-X(Over The Rail), Access Tonneau, 5% Window Tint. Recon Bed Lights, LED Bar and Tail Lights. 17 x 9 Pro Comp 6001series with Pro Comp Extreme A/T Tires (305/60R/17), Rough Country Leveling Kit, Rancho 9000 shocks. Silverline 4in Dual Exhaust

IAFF- Local 805

WorkHard.PlayHard WorkHard.PlayHard
New User | Posts: 24 | Joined: 08/07
07:20 PM

I towed my 33ft travel trailer (7500 lbs loaded) for the first time today with my stock '06 5.9 cummins and got 14 mpg doing 65 mph.  Much better than the 1/2 ton dodge with the hemi which I used to get 8 mpg.  

BCRAM BCRAM
Enthusiast | Posts: 672 | Joined: 11/06
11:26 PM

It used to be all Ford where I'm from but now it's all Dodge. On our vacation last week the Dodge's pulling RV's out numbered everything else 10 to 1. Every time we saw a RV pull into the Lake side campsite we'd say "Hey look it's a Dodge" by the end of the week it caught on and everyone was yelling it out every time another Dodge pulled in. On the way home we saw a brand new 6.4 Super Duty hooked to a shinny new triple axle toy hauler sitting dead on the side of the highway with one very pissed looking owner waiting for help. That's got to suck when you spend that kind of money.  
2002 Dodge Ram 6 SPD Fass pump, afe cold air, mbrp 4" ss exhaust, 275hp RV injectors, edge ez, isspro gauges, South Bend clutch, track bar updated to 03-07 style, dss steering stabilizer system, 285 Cooper Discover

"If it doesn't have tit's a trigger or a throttle I'm pretty much not interested!"

97cummins 97cummins
User | Posts: 193 | Joined: 07/07
Posted: 08/24/07
02:04 AM

I'd be pissed to if i spent that much money on a new truck and it died pulling my travel trailer.Thats why i'm a dodge guy and not a ford guy.Also goes to show what ford stands for,(Found On Road Dead).Have you all seen Diesel World magazines october issue yet? They test the big three diesels.Guess who came in dead last?!!!  
afe stage 1,#10 fuel plate,bd torque lock,rear suspension air
bags,4"turbo back exhaust,banks twin ram,line-x,windows tinted,3000 rpm governor springs,3guage a-piller and more to come.4"exhaust straight piped,turbo silencer ring mia,"member-blowin-smoke gang"

desertdodge22 desertdodge22
New User | Posts: 10 | Joined: 09/07
Posted: 09/03/07
06:19 PM

I just got pack from the Labor Day weekend where I took my travel trailer to Flagstaff AZ. I was pulling my 8000lb trailer at around 80 MPH with the cruise on. There seemed to be more Fords than any other make for this trip. I got to see quite a few of them because they were all going so slow up the hills so they wouldn't blow up. I have a 05 5.9 with the Superchips tuner and K&N filter. This truck is a pulling monster. I hope the 6.7 lives up to the 5.9.  
"Death is not the worst thing that can happen to men" by Plato

hustler_shan hustler_shan
Enthusiast | Posts: 430 | Joined: 03/07
Posted: 09/03/07
08:10 PM

the split is about that up here in south dakota i mean ford is the leader then dodge then chev  
were pissin up a rope guys!!!

gotmike gotmike
User | Posts: 81 | Joined: 09/07
Posted: 09/28/07
08:55 PM

i think it could possibly also depend on the number of dealerships in the area... here we have 2 chevy 1 ford 1 dodge and a ton of used car lots... so there are quite a few chevy/gmc's running around... but we've got alot of oilfield in the area and alot of those guys get company trucks... which they'll gladly use to haul toys on the weekends  
J.E.E.P: Just Everybody Elses Parts
1977 Jeep cherokee w/ 12 valve cummins, NV4500, NP205, DANA 60 front axle and DANA 70 rear axle...

murmanpsd7.3 murmanpsd7.3
Enthusiast | Posts: 411 | Joined: 08/07
Posted: 09/28/07
09:05 PM

haha usin the company rig to pull your toys.. haha funny, i would get fired so fast...  
'99 7.3 psd, afe stage 2 magnum force intake, banks six gun tuner(+62rwhp), superchips 1705 max micro tuner(+110hp), 4" mandrel bent exuast, 6" lift, ranch hand front and rear replacement bumpers, custom lights and lots of other cool gee-wiz stuff.
member- blowin smoke gang

jbgoodtrader jbgoodtrader
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 03/08
Posted: 03/23/08
01:38 PM

Hi Guys! I just did an interview about a wk. & 1/2 ago with a local RV Transport carrier here in Ontario.

They recommended a Dodge Cummins, as the Ford O/O's are paying $200-$300/trip more for diesel fuel & they said that the maintenance (parts like injectors)costs for the Duramax were higher.

A friend of mine bought a 99' Ford F350 4x4 with the Powerstroke, & I noticed that it was "labouring" more than the Duramax's I'm used to. He also sold it to one of his plumbers, because it got lousy fuel mileage, compared to his other diesel trucks & vans.

I realize that his other vehicles are lighter, but if you are hauling RV's, then you have to have a heavy-duty pickup anyway.

John Good  

needpower needpower
Addict | Posts: 2069 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 03/23/08
06:42 PM

ive been hearing more and more about rv transport can someone send me some info on the better companys.  
1997 f-250 7.3 powerstroke. just another old truck making big power hahaha
my lug nuts need more torque then what your honda makes

Christine5 Christine5
Enthusiast | Posts: 310 | Joined: 12/07
Posted: 03/24/08
08:22 PM

To bad you didnt count all the moter homes 40 ft long,98% being Cummins ranging from B+series,ISB,ISC, ISM,ISL and the mechanic knightmare the ISX Cummins(leaves no room in eng compartment to work on it.  
A real toy for big boys.I installed a 5.9-B Cummins, P-7100 inline stage one pump,  banks cooler,5in exh,removable air bags for towing, 1in body lift,2in hanger lift,2 12in elect fans, customized mounting,(eng mounts,intake piping,trans adapter etc) Runs on home made bio-fuel at 70 cents a Gal.

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Administrator | Posts: 2112 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 03/27/08
01:42 PM

Hey FYI, our company is about to launch a new RV magazine. It's going to be newsstand-only to start out with, but if there's enough demand, they might consider offering subscriptions. I'll let you know more information as it becomes available.  

1 |  2 |  Next   | Last