DT466E starting problems

Diesel Power
Item Posts    Sort Order

DT466E starting problems

Ramman1979 Ramman1979
New User | Posts: 9 | Joined: 08/07
Posted: 08/29/07
03:33 PM

I drive a 1997 international recycle truck that has the DT466E with automatic. Lately it has been getting harder and harder to start it starts ok in the morning but after having run the route and hauled it to the place to dump it I have a hard time trying to refire it . The engine sounds like it is starving for fuel it just sits there and kinda knocks then dies. So then I have to tilt the nose and use the primer on the fuel pump to get it to fire. The hand pump has been replaced and the filter below ceaned and the pick up tube checked for cracks to see if air is getting in the line when it is shutdown. Keep in mind this does not happen everytime I try to start it. Anyone have any ideas what the problem is.  Confused  

bluetech151 bluetech151
Guru | Posts: 1304 | Joined: 06/07
Posted: 09/06/07
09:17 PM

check the pump pressure the pump might be your problem  
Diesel Power: It'll eat up anything in its path and spit out pure charcoal.

Ramman1979 Ramman1979
New User | Posts: 9 | Joined: 08/07
Posted: 09/11/07
03:07 PM

Thanks for the advice finally found out that the relays where breaking down when there hot. You just gotta love those electrical gremlins. But thanks again I really appreciate the response. By the way is that a wagoneer or a commander in the pic.  

c h c h
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/14
Posted: 11/17/14
06:40 AM

I have a 98  DT466E that jus quit on me and will not restart.. I was told it was probly the fuel pressure. does anyone know if that is wht it could be? and if it is how hard is it to replace???   thanku!!!