Item Posts    Sort Order

Duramax Injector Issues

duramaxx0404 duramaxx0404
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 12/07
Posted: 12/12/07
05:52 PM

We own an 04 6.6 Duramax c4500 160000 miles
the truck has been in the shop 5 times for the same
issue. Injectors Injectors Injectors all GM wants to do is replace them. The underlying issue is that GM
nor its repairs shops have NO idea what causes the failures. We have now contacted someone in the legal field to let them know that this problem cannot be repaired or fixed. The only resolve to it is eith anew "upgraded" engine or a new truck ! If there any
people who read this please understand the Duramax is a good engine when running BUT it had to be understood it has to run ! 160000 mile is nothing for a diesel
We pull a trailer and it has plenty of power.Dont let GM tell you there is nothing wrong there is ! They sent letters out claiming  warranties up to 200000
check with them to see if you qualify. I hope this will
make users BEWARE of this issue. Good luck  

02CUMMINS 02CUMMINS
Enthusiast | Posts: 276 | Joined: 03/07
Posted: 12/12/07
08:23 PM

weird i thought the injector issues were solved around the 01 and 02 years .  
02 Dodge Cummins. w/ Banks Six Gun w/Speed Loader,K&N Intake,4" exhaust, FASS 150gph,150hsp injectors,

BD_POWER_PAT BD_POWER_PAT
New User | Posts: 9 | Joined: 12/07
Posted: 12/19/07
12:13 PM

They should be the updated version of the injectors going in.  Are they replacing all the injectors or just one or two at a time?  I have seen a couple of cases where even with new injectors they are still having to replace them.  
www.dieselperformance.com
pat@bd-power.com
1-800-887-5030 xt 101

Posted: 12/19/07
12:26 PM

They have replaced a full set. Then they replace the injectors that fail> Then they replaced the fuel lines. This as I have said is an on going issue. GM does not have a fix nor a repair for this failure. 5 times for the same issue with regular service changing the filters and so on you would think would be a fix.So we wait to see what GM intends on doing. The updated injectors have been installed several times. So I feel the techs dont even know what causes the failure. Thanks for your imput.  

DaWongOne DaWongOne
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/07
Posted: 12/27/07
09:46 AM

I have a 01 duramax that has had all the injectors replaced and after that GM would only replace the high return rate injectors. I'm going to be on the fifth replacement and my truck only has 120k on it. Could I persue the legal route?  

dieselwheelies dieselwheelies
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 11/07
05:50 PM

HA! Just injectors? Get in line. All of the injectors on my 05 LLY have been replaced at least once. The truck has been in "limp mode" over twenty times for fuel system related problems. First it was a bad fuel/water separator, then the next three times it was injectors, then now it is the fuel control module, injector pump, and all related seals and backflow prevention. Not to mention that the injectors can not be flow tested at this time and they are still a suspect. This is all in less than 67,000 miles. Three weeks have passed since the truck went from 19.8 mpg to 6 mpg. Yep, SIX. GM has at this time told me to stuff it and keep putting my young daughters in a truck that often dies and goes into limp mode during normal driving. No help there. The math works out to a $180.00 a day cost to get to work. The parts needed are not expected at the dealer anytime soon. This lifelong Chevy guy is about to jump ship. Even my 6.5 has been more reliable than this. I would be VERY interested in learning more about this 200K warranty you mentioned... . Best of luck to you and me.  
Lightly massaged Duramax passing Mustangs, imports and fuel stations.

dieselwheelies dieselwheelies
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 11/07
06:00 PM

Did not mean to come off rude on my reply. Sorry if I did. I am pretty unhappy with my $53,000 truck that I , for the umpteenth time, can not drive my family around in safely. I sincerely hope that you can get your issue resolved. Your truck is currently out of warranty, right? How much are these repairs costing you? I am petrified to own my truck after 100K at the rate of failure I am currently seeing. I wonder if I am able to follow the legal path as well. That is the only way to get noticed these days is to hit their wallets.  
Lightly massaged Duramax passing Mustangs, imports and fuel stations.

2001cummins 2001cummins
User | Posts: 160 | Joined: 10/06
Posted: 12/28/07
10:45 AM

The dealer should have to take the truck back because of the lemon law, I was talking to a old guy the other day that has been Ford his whole life and traded in his 7.3 for a new 6.0 back when they came out and had nothing but problems with it, heads, turbos, trannys 3 motors, and a lot of little problems all over a few years, he told his dealer that he was very unhappy with this truck and he was taking legal action and before he went to court the dealer offered to take his truck and give him a new one at no cost, another 6.0, dealer said they had all the bugs worked out of the new ones, well they didn't, he started having the same issues with the new one and said he wanted his money back, after battling with the dealer for a little bit they worked out a deal and he is now driving a D-Max.  
06 Dodge Cummins 2500 4x4, Edge Juice w/ Attitude w/ Hot Unlock, Predator 2018 STG 3, S@B Air Intake, CFM+ Intake Manifold, 5" Turboback Magnaflow, South Bend DD 3600 Street Comp, Top Gun Custumz leveling kit. Dyno- 495HP-962TQ, 15.20 in the 1/4 Hot only

2001.SCOTT 2001.SCOTT
Enthusiast | Posts: 464 | Joined: 12/07
Posted: 12/29/07
07:22 AM

There is a guy I work with who's duramax has had injectors twice one time at 120000 and at 160000 if they have worked on it that many times you can get a lawyer and the limon laws come into. But make sure they are replaceing all the injectors at one time there is no reason to replace one or two I know its $3600 dollars to do it on 01 duramax.  But I run trans fuild half of a quart when I fill up my dodge and my dads does the same to his 05 duramax the tech at chevy and dodge told it would help clean and lubicate the injectors and pump.  Maybe it would help your case, but I would to all who's having that much trouble call a lawyer. Good luck  
2001 dodge with 5in exhaust k@n intake with edge comp box,2in leveling, added holley blue lift pump kit member-"Blowing Smoke Gang" Ranchhand bumbers

08:20 AM

Please read this:
To all that own this 6.6 Duramax engine
Years 2000 - 2004
Injector(s)
GM finally has settled with us. It is a company that is not customer service friendly by no means.They
had to get a wake up call to this issue.What they did was replaced the engine. This was not an easy task.I will tell you that you need to contact their executive office and make sure that they understand that repairs have been done at a GM Shop and the issue needs to be taken care of. Dont give up ! Good luck to all  

02sierra4x4 02sierra4x4
08:23 PM

Being a GM diesel technician for 4 years now, I have not seen a noticable amout of failures with 04.5" and newer duramax diesels (lly,lbz,lmm), an occasional injector and cp3 going out is normal. However 01-04' duramax diesels (lb7) are a common thing for replacing injectors for ball seat erosion and the seats cracking causing high return rates and of course gallons of diesel in your crankcase (one or two a week) but are covered under warranty for 200,000, or 7 years, and are replaced with upgraded injectors. I have seen duramax diesels coming in the shop with well over 250,000 miles with minimal repairs. I have talked to many gm district managers and engineers about this related concern, from what I get out of it is that injectors should not be a concern anymore, and if there is, there could be an issue with fuel, electrical, or mechanical causing these failures. If anybody has any questions feel free to ask, I enjoy the diesel seen very much, and I deal with it on a day to day basis.  

E2theRock2 E2theRock2
Guru | Posts: 1625 | Joined: 01/08
Posted: 01/08/08
08:32 PM

sounds like you have run that truck pretty hard... if its the LB7 then you kinda got to expect injectors issues bcuz that wasn't the best year for the DMAX. if its an LLY then i have no idea why that would happen besides runnin it real hard.  
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 cc/sb all stock H4 package.
2010 Camaro SS E2theRock2

carl5 carl5
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/08
Posted: 01/13/08
12:01 AM

Help,

My 2004 Duramax (LLY) with 170,000 miles has a coolant leak.  A dealer in Colorado diagnosed the problem as a head gasket leaking to the exterior of the engine, not into the combustion chamber or engine oil..  Having the GM service manuals and 2 experienced diesel mechanics to work with, I ordered the seals and gaskets.  Upon starting disassembly, it became apparent that the leak was NOT the head gasket.  We pressurized the coolant system and found seepage from the number 1 injector opening, running down the valve cover and cylinder head.  We removed the injector and found the top o-ring damaged from the seepage.  The copper seal at the base of the injector was intact.  We repressurized the coolant system, and saw that it was seeping through the casting into the injector opening, above where the copper seal seats.  This engine has never run hot or been overheated.  We believe that there is a casting flaw in the aluminum cylinder head.  According to the service manuals, the (LLY) engine, with aluminum cylinder heads, does not use injector sleeves as the (LB7) engine does.  Normally an injector sleeve replacement would be adequate, but they are not used in the (LLY) engine.  We stopped disassembly at this point, fearing invaladation of any possible coverage by GM. I understand that GM has covered some injector issues on the (LB7) up to 200,000 miles, and am hoping that GM would consider my issue.  I would greatly appreciate any information, guidance or contacts to assist me.

Carl
cholm341@yahoo.com  

dhutch dhutch
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 02/08
Posted: 02/12/08
08:46 AM

I have a 2002 Duramax with 215000 miles on it
It has a slight lope when it idles Does anyone have any ideas.  

Tempest2 Tempest2
User | Posts: 120 | Joined: 01/08
Posted: 02/12/08
01:22 PM

HEY BEN HOPE YOUR READING THIS  
2001RAM BANKS POWERPACK KIT BANKS 4INCH BRAKE 4INCH STRAIGHT EXHAUST

1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last