Catalytic Converter removal

Diesel Power
Item Posts    Sort Order

Catalytic Converter removal

tbodiesel79 tbodiesel79
User | Posts: 57 | Joined: 09/06
Posted: 01/04/08
03:27 PM

Just to clarify this the, 2007 5.9L's don't come with a DPF on them right???   There is a catalytic converter on it, at least I think it is, because it's in front of the muffler towards the turbo.  I plan on removing it before I take my truck down to upgrade the muffler and I want to make sure that it is a catalytic converter, not a DPF.  I am pretty sure that the DPF's only come on the '07's with 6.7L's.  Any info would be great!!!  
'07 Dodge 5.9L Cummins 4" Turbo Back Aero Turbine Exhaust.......Blowin' Smoke

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Administrator | Posts: 2112 | Joined: 07/06
03:48 PM

As far as I know, the '07 5.9s have the cat only. Only the 6.7s have the DPF. In terms of modification, you're a lot better off with the 5.9, since it's less sensitive to emissions tampering, and there are a lot more parts out for it right now.  

2001.SCOTT 2001.SCOTT
Enthusiast | Posts: 464 | Joined: 12/07
03:57 PM

you can remove the cat from the 07 5.9 because there is no emissions attached to it but on the 6.7 the dpf is hooked up to the computer it will not ever run is what i heard and the newer dodge trucks come with a good free flowing exhaust factory I would just remove the cat and muffler. So you could spend the rest of the money on a programmer get the crazy larry tune from bullydog and spank the new fords so great twin turbo diesels ha ha ha  
2001 dodge with 5in exhaust k@n intake with edge comp box,2in leveling, added holley blue lift pump kit member-"Blowing Smoke Gang" Ranchhand bumbers

ksd5 ksd5
User | Posts: 80 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 01/05/08
05:02 PM

Yeah only the 6.7s have dpf, ur 5.9 has a cat whcich you should remove along with stock muffler, i wouldn't buy an entire exhuast system as the newer 04.5 and up cummins trucks already have 4 inc pipes and the curves are prettty smooth so i would just put on a performance muffler or no muffler at all along with removing the cat and you will have a good flowing and sounding exhaust. Grin  
----------------- --------