Transfer pump problems

Diesel Power
Item Posts    Sort Order

Transfer pump problems

DJB3500 DJB3500
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 12/07
Posted: 12/30/07
09:42 AM

I have a 2001 3500.  At 105K the Transfer pump went.  I had it replaced by Cummins Atlantic.  They beat all the local Dodge dealers on price.  Plus, I figured that they would know more.  Now, I am at 135K and seems to be having the same symptoms.  I contacted the Cummins shop and they told me to replace the filter to see if that was it.  I did and it is still loosing power.  It idles fine but on the road it has problems now and then... kind of like a miss.  Is the pump a common problem?  Any ideas?  

HOcummins HOcummins
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 12/07
10:22 AM

My name is Lucas i am new to this forum, I have a 2002 2500 cummins and both of my pumps went out at 170k. I replaced them with a hot rod vp44 and a fast fuel system and the combo seems to work well. The fast fuel system seems to do alot better than the stock pump, that is what i would sugjest doing.  

KMKDiesel KMKDiesel
User | Posts: 53 | Joined: 07/07
12:52 PM

If they put a stock one back on and you have mods that could be your problem you need and upgraded one. Your injector pump could also be going out and what mods to you have.  
2007.5 6.7 3500 A few mods to crank out 554 hp and 1121 ft-lbs

DJB3500 DJB3500
03:22 PM

The only mod I have so far is a 5" Turbo back exhaust.  I put about 350 miles a week on the truck.  

DJB3500 DJB3500
03:24 PM

I have seen the Fast Fuel system in the mag.  Are you running it instead of the stock or in series with it?  

dukeboy_318 dukeboy_318
Guru | Posts: 897 | Joined: 01/07
Posted: 12/31/07
01:15 PM

run it instead, for your truck get the 95 gph set up, also install and fuel pressure gauge or light from BD, ive actually got an extra one you can buy that i never put on my truck, tells you when the pressure drops below 5 psi which will help save your injection pump.  if the fass dont cure it, then its your vp44 injection pump, my advice is to upgrade it if you can to a hot rod vp44 from BD power  
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 24 valve, 5spd with south bend 550hp+ clutch, 150 horse injectors, Fram Boost intake(for now), Edge Juice with attitude, 150 gph fass fuel pump and much more, all together 450 dyno proven HP and 1170 ft lbs.
DPMAG May Ride of the Month

and a quote from Dmax007-  this site is entirely the blind leading the blind. nobody on this site has the balls to stand up to this stupid blowin smoke gang. got news for you, i do.  

Recruiter/member of the Blowing Smoke Gang!

xstreemdiesel xstreemdiesel
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 01/08
Posted: 01/01/08
11:00 PM

woo woo there's dj lets not jump right out there and spend thousands of dollars,the problem with your truck is the transfer pump no doubt,common problem,vibration and heat from the engine causes the tp to prematurely fail,and possibly take out the vp44,the only lube for the vp is fuel,every time it misses could be damage to the vp,so a repair should be done quickly.i was a diesel mechanic for chrysler for 7 years,and i can't tell you how many vp's and tp i 'v replaced.here's what your chrysler dealer won't tell you.buy a blue holley pump,relocation kit,vulcan big line kit.install these parts for about $220,this is the cheapest way to repair this problem.all the instruction comes with the relocation kit.good luck  

dukeboy_318 dukeboy_318
Guru | Posts: 897 | Joined: 01/07
Posted: 01/02/08
09:33 AM

i work for cummins fuel systems tech center, DO NOT, i repeat DO NOT use a holley blue pump,if you plan any major mods like injectors, chips, anything like that, the pump will not survive long, holley's pump is just like the OEM pump, only difference is it mounts along the frame, not in the heat of the engine bay, it works fine for stock and mildly warmed engines, but dont expect it to last long with major upgrades, fass system will run you about 400-500 bucks depending on who you buy from, you can either choose a transfer pump by itself(cheapest route 400-500) or you can choose to upgrade you factory water seperator with the kit from fass that includes canister filters, and the transfer pump(600-800 bucks)  again use the 95 gph one for your truck it will provide the pressure needed to cool the injection pump. also after installing one, i no longer have to spend half an hour tryign to prime the lines after a filter change, takes one turn of the key with fass.  just my  two cents, take it for what its worth :2cents:  
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 24 valve, 5spd with south bend 550hp+ clutch, 150 horse injectors, Fram Boost intake(for now), Edge Juice with attitude, 150 gph fass fuel pump and much more, all together 450 dyno proven HP and 1170 ft lbs.
DPMAG May Ride of the Month

and a quote from Dmax007-  this site is entirely the blind leading the blind. nobody on this site has the balls to stand up to this stupid blowin smoke gang. got news for you, i do.  

Recruiter/member of the Blowing Smoke Gang!

DJB3500 DJB3500
Posted: 01/05/08
09:16 PM

I just had Cummins replace the pump.  just under 500 bucks.  It is still acting the same.  The truck seems to surg and the RPMs drop.  It only lasts a second but, happens often and iratically.  I tried to call them today but, they are closed.  I will follow up with them on Monday.  Plus,  I never found my key I left them... lol... They left the truck out front for me to pick up after hours.  I really do like them even if it is not fixed right yet.

I am sorry to say that 3 of the dodge dealers here in the area all tried to soak me for 1200 bucks to do this work...  

BCRAM BCRAM
Enthusiast | Posts: 672 | Joined: 11/06
Posted: 01/05/08
10:57 PM

If your loosing power you should really scan your truck for codes. If you get a 0216 your VP-44 injection pump is toast. A VP-44 with a 135K on a stock lift pump is actually pretty good. Don't waist your money on a stock Carter or Holley Blue pump their junk. You could have got a FASS pump for $500 and it's an easy install. I think you'll find your surging problem will get worse.  
2002 Dodge Ram 6 SPD Fass pump, afe cold air, mbrp 4" ss exhaust, 275hp RV injectors, edge ez, isspro gauges, South Bend clutch, track bar updated to 03-07 style, dss steering stabilizer system, 285 Cooper Discover

"If it doesn't have tit's a trigger or a throttle I'm pretty much not interested!"

heathww heathww
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 01/08
Posted: 01/11/08
05:17 PM

yes the lift is located in wrong place on engine block it is designed to push feul not pullit