How to make more boost from stock turbo

Diesel Power
Item Posts    Sort Order

How to make more boost from stock turbo

dieseldog01 dieseldog01
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/08
Posted: 01/10/08
09:07 PM

I have an 01 dodge cummins with an edge/attitude, 150 horse injectors, and a fass 150 and a stock turbo makin about 35 psi. i have read about guys who can make like 50 psi on the stock turbo. how do they do that? oh and i blocked the wastegate on it too.  

sandslinger79 sandslinger79
Enthusiast | Posts: 401 | Joined: 12/07
Posted: 01/10/08
10:38 PM

Im makin 39 out of mine but i never heard of 50 out of a stock hx 40  
2006 Dodge ram 2500 Crew cab short bed, K&N intake, Bully Dog Triple Dog W/ Crazy Larry, Quadzilla boost fooler, Boost & Pyro on A-Pillar, Magnaflow Exhaust.

NEVER ARGUE WITH A IDIOT, THEY WILL LOWER YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE!!!

Caleb_Bagwell Caleb_Bagwell
New User | Posts: 37 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 01/13/08
04:25 PM

Im still runnin the stock turbo in my cummins and with all the mods and my Quadzilla Boost Fooler i can reach 45 to 48 PSI if i get into the throttle pretty hard. Exspecially now with my new ATS tranny..  Hooks up great.  
2007 DODGE MegaCab Duallie.. Volant C/A intake. CFM+intakemanifold. ATS pulse Flow Exhaust Manifold. 5' MBRP TurboBack Exhaust. Smarty TNT-R. Quadzilla Boostfooler. Fass 150 W/100hp Shields Injectors. Autometer Cobalt Guages. Alpine 8' in Dash DVD player.

sandslinger79 sandslinger79
Enthusiast | Posts: 401 | Joined: 12/07
Posted: 01/14/08
12:19 AM

sorry caleb its a little different with our vp44 engines  
2006 Dodge ram 2500 Crew cab short bed, K&N intake, Bully Dog Triple Dog W/ Crazy Larry, Quadzilla boost fooler, Boost & Pyro on A-Pillar, Magnaflow Exhaust.

NEVER ARGUE WITH A IDIOT, THEY WILL LOWER YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE!!!

Dieseldude03 Dieseldude03
Enthusiast | Posts: 357 | Joined: 01/07
Posted: 01/14/08
02:24 PM

Not to burst your bubble, but you might think about getting some head studs on your engine before jacking the boost up any further. Just a suggestion.  
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4. H.O. Cummins, 6spd manual trans, 4.10 gearing. Intake, Exhaust, Hot Juice, HTT HTB2 62/12/65, Jake Brake, 305-65R17 (33 x 12.50) Pro-Comp Extreme All Terrains, SBC Con O FE, Fuel Tank Vent Mod,  Various other gizmos.

I-6 Cummins guys are keepin' it straight. Those other boys swing both ways.

dieselman1 dieselman1
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 01/08
Posted: 01/23/08
11:00 PM

hook the wastegate gate back up it is there for a reason. and yeah it would be a good idea to put head studs in before u jack the boost up anymore  

Dazedcowboy Dazedcowboy
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 06/08
Posted: 06/05/08
02:32 AM

Threre is a ton of missinformation out there.  Please take some time and view the following web site on Turbo's in general and how they work.  

http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/FAQ/turbo_faq.htm

The best way I have found to get things to work properly and within normal spec limits so they live and gain more power in the mid range was to make my own waist gate anti creep valve.   This is not a well known problem but what happens is the valve comes open steady under lower pressures and fully open to prevent over boosting. This is a GOOD THING!  Read what happens with over boost on that web page.  
I take a pressure relief valve with a low spring rate.  Example I set it at 29psi. This feeds the Pressure regulator valve in series.  Now the Regulator I set at 1 pound above the relief valve.  Takes a bit to set them properly but well worth the mid range power!   What it does:   The relief valve doesn't send any pressure out till it exceeds the set value, Hence keeping the Wastegate shut tight! Now once it passes the set point of 29psi it allows air to be seen at the Regulator valve and opening the Wastegate at 30 psi.  
This can be set to the same psi as stock but allows the wastegate to remain tightly shut untill just moments before top pressure is seen at the regulator!  
This will gain some noticable power in the mid range with out causing ANY probs to the eng and turbo!  
Please check out the site I posted, you will see why the Engineers put the Wastegate in place and what it protects!   The stock Turbo with the Gate blocked can build up high EGT and heat in the intake charge.  That Robs power!  The big B&D Dual turbo's are much like a 2 stage air compresser.  They can handle large volumes where the stock turbos are limited because of physical size of the turbo housing.  If you understand how a larger exhaust helps reduce back pressure then think of your turbo spooling up because the wastegate is blocked shut. Causing HIGH back pressure in the exhaust caused from spinning the turbo past physical limits of flow and EGT will climb.  Now the intake pressure rises,and we get Heat Just like a Shop air compresser will.   When air is heated it expands, thus less oxygen Parts per million. In short the reason we use COLD AIR intake systems to give us more HP. Don't restrict the Exhaust by blocking the turbo WG you will end up spending more money than you ever thought possible.  That makes for a bad day anyway you look at it.   Turbo's ROCK!  
Work with in Physical constraints and you will have many reliable and happy miles.  We race our Diesel trucks on the weekends but trust me the more power you make the more parts and money you have to spend.  
Stock heads have to be machined for O-rings, heavy Head studs, bigger cams, Valve mods, Custom Exhaust parts,Twin and Tripple Injection pumps, and the weak links are the Transmissions.  Our buddys at Ultimate Tranz in Boise Idaho build killer units that WORK!  Example an 06 4x4 with 35's and twin turbo's running 11.70-11.75 in a 1/4 mile!  They build Alison and AOD as well.  I have a 700R4 behind a sb 406 chevy with twin TBI's on top of a B&M blower.  Est 600 real horse power.  Oh Check out Snow injection units, that is a great way to build power and keep things in Check for towing ect.   The more power you make the MORE they BREAK!