out with the hemi in with the cummins.

Diesel Power
Item Posts    Sort Order

out with the hemi in with the cummins.

nmlakerat nmlakerat
Enthusiast | Posts: 372 | Joined: 01/08
Posted: 01/24/08
12:56 PM

need help with choosing the right cummins. I have an 03 2500 4dr 4x4 with a nv4500 5spd. I need diesel power to pull all my toys. the hemi is great but.... I need a diesel. my truck is almost paid for and i love it, although i don't want to spend 50k on a new one. so will an 03 cummins bolt right in ? or should i go with a P pump motor ? any help would be appreaciated.  
member-Blowin' Smoke Gang
board of directors

freematt freematt
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 01/08
01:59 PM

Seems to me like you'd be way ahead of the game if you sold your truck and bought the one you are trying to build. Of course if you like scrounging for parts and taking on big projects it might be just the thing for you.  Don't forget to upgrade to a NV5600 6spd tranny and that huge 13" clutch while you are at it. I hear you can pick up a used NV5600 for around $2500  

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Administrator | Posts: 2112 | Joined: 07/06
02:33 PM

Yeah. I agree with freematt. Even though it may seem like you're saving money by keeping the truck and trying to do an engine swap on it, unless you're an experienced mechanic that has easy access to parts, equipment and facilities, you'll probably end up spending more money trying to do the conversion than it would have cost you in the first place by just selling your gasser and buying a diesel.  

nmlakerat nmlakerat
Posted: 01/25/08
11:28 AM

I do have the facilitys and the know how, i was ASE cert in auto and diesel i let the cert's expire since i dont do it for a living. and I do love my truck. ive seen an 03 powerwagon that a cummins was swaped into. why not build my idea of the perfect truck ?  just need help on desiding the right generation of 5.9 I also like the idea of having one bio-diesel compatable. come-on diesel nuts need the pros and cons of common rail vs a p-pump for my application and any experience with swaps?  please all opinions are valued  
board of directors

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Administrator | Posts: 2112 | Joined: 07/06
11:55 AM

For sure, the old mechanical-pump diesels are way friendlier to running straight veg oil. Biodiesel can pretty much be run on anything as long as you keep a close eye on the fuel filter for the first few tankfuls.  

nmlakerat nmlakerat
12:01 PM

I plan on going with fass fuel and fs2000 oil filtration systems. seem to be best on market that i have found. I like the idea of running a P-pump on a 24v other than a cam change any other mods needed ?  
board of directors

Meatus Meatus
Posted: 01/28/08
08:37 AM

I have the same problem.  97 Ram SLT 2500 4x4 LB with a 360 that can't pull my toys anymore.  The body is still good,  rear bumper has rust, hood is starting to get specs of it as well.  I added a Fastman Hi flow throttle body for better low end torque, cold air intake & better exhaust.  I'd have to wait a while to save for a 50+grand new truck.  I can afford a 30ish used diesel.  Or should I spend what, 10 grand on a new paint job, new rims & new diesel engine.  Maybe have some funds left over.  I could trade it in for 3800 (haha) or sell it out right for 6000. Confused  

Meatus Meatus
09:10 AM

I guess I should ask if its possible to do the switch and if it needs to be the same year engine?  Thanks to any help fellas!  

Christine5 Christine5
Enthusiast | Posts: 310 | Joined: 12/07
02:53 PM

Depends what state you live in for emissions.The easy way is to buy a wrecked 03 dodge and start swaping. the challeng is moter mounts, coolant hoses, a/c, charge air syst (size of cooler piping etc),trans adapter or if using dodge trans is it Four wheel?,Drive line angels,cond of frame,poss exstra crossmembers.cummins makes kits to make it a little easer but trust me when I say little.  
A real toy for big boys.I installed a 5.9-B Cummins, P-7100 inline stage one pump,  banks cooler,5in exh,removable air bags for towing, 1in body lift,2in hanger lift,2 12in elect fans, customized mounting,(eng mounts,intake piping,trans adapter etc) Runs on home made bio-fuel at 70 cents a Gal.

TXcharger07 TXcharger07
User | Posts: 55 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 04/13/08
04:58 PM

you've got a hemi with a stick shift???!!! thats badass!

if your in texas i might consider taking the HEMI off of your hands...

sounds like a awesome project, good luck!  
i want a cummins...

or a 06 GTO...

or a 06 GTO with a cummins TXcharger07

nmlakerat nmlakerat
Posted: 04/17/08
08:52 AM

im next door to the west in NM. not to far away. pm me if your serious  
board of directors