Ad Radar
Diesel Power
Mobile Icon BtnMobile Icon Btn RO
Newsletter

6 speed Allison auto vs. 6speed Aisin auto.

Diesel Power
1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

6 speed Allison auto vs. 6speed Aisin auto.

DuramaxBen DuramaxBen
Guru | Posts: 894 | Joined: 01/08
Posted: 02/22/08
09:35 AM

Which of the 2 automatics would you have if you were going to pull with? I need to know as I am curious to see what you guys think and PLEASE BACK THEM UP WITH WEBSITES!I want to know what the maximum torque ratings are for each and which is more reliable when left on a stock truck.Thanks  
President of the Firepack. Hate me for my Actions not my BRAND CHOICE!
Proud owner of Cornwell Tools.

E2theRock2 E2theRock2
Guru | Posts: 1625 | Joined: 01/08
11:13 AM

I'll take............................... Niether! I'll take the NV5600 thank you very much. You dummy, who would want to pull with an auto trans?!? Not me!  
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 cc/sb all stock H4 package.
2010 Camaro SS E2theRock2

Racingrancher77 Racingrancher77
New User | Posts: 41 | Joined: 01/08
12:59 PM

I would agree with E2theRock2 about the NV5600.  However, if you live in the city where having to ram in a clutch pedal every time you get into traffic would be a pain in the ass, and if you weren't going to tow all the time, I would choose niether of those 2 six-speed transmissions.  I would take a 4-speed out of a 2002 F-350.  Sure it doesn't have many gear ratios, but it is durable enough for the hotshot drivers to choose it as the transmission of choice at the time.  
2002 Ford F-350 7.3L Powerstroke 4x4 Supercab Automatic. Regularly grosses at 32,000lbs without breaking a sweat.

Proud member of the Blowin' Smoke Gang.

Balls2go Balls2go
New User | Posts: 12 | Joined: 02/08
01:26 PM

I'm guessing the guys that have replied to you so far have little to no experience with either of these transmissions. What I've noticed about most of the comments here is that if it's something they, themselves don't particularly like-whether they know anything about it or not-it's junk. Having said that, I'll tell you my experience. I have a '06 Chevrolet duelly with an LBZ Duramax and the Allison 6 speed and I couldn't be more happy with it. I've owned several diesel trucks in the past-all Chevrolets and all with manual transmissions-but after putting about 40,000 miles on the one I have now, I can assure that I will never have anything but the Allison in the future. This is my 3rd Duramax and they are great too. My current truck weighs about 7500 lbs., is making close to 600 hp, and consistently gets around 20 mpg when I'm not pulling anything. It's also quite and smooth. I haven't had any experience with Dodge's or Ford's and as long as I can a Chevrolet with a Duramax and an Allison, I guess it will stay that way. You can't really appriciate the way the Duramax and Allison work together until you pull something that weighs 10,000-20,000 pounds. Roger  

E2theRock2 E2theRock2
01:45 PM

Hey Balls2go, I owned a 2006 Chevy 2500 crew cab Duramax with the allison and i had nothing but problems with it. I had three transmissions put in it. I dont like the allison because it couldnt take what i needed it for. I traded it earlier this month and bought the Dodge and i have had no problems with it doing the same stuff the Duramax had to do. So next time you run your mouth like DuramaxBen is so good at doing maybe you outta do your homework and read all the DuramaxBen posts so you know what you are up against.  

DuramaxBen DuramaxBen
02:32 PM

Leave the Man alone for god sake all he did was tell us of his experences with the Duramax Allison combo.We can't help it that you got a Lemon or just abused the Allison.But what do you expect when you didn't leave your Dmax stock!Maybe you should shut up and listen to him.  

E2theRock2 E2theRock2
03:30 PM

Hey dont insult me and i wont strike back.  

DuramaxBen DuramaxBen
06:01 PM

I insulted the truck you no longer have so shut up already.Not my fault you can't treat a diesel the way she is supposed to be treated.ALLISON AUTOMATIC BEST DAMN PULLING TRANSMISSION FOR AN AUTOMATIC!!!  

TBISilverado TBISilverado
Enthusiast | Posts: 621 | Joined: 01/08
Posted: 02/23/08
08:12 AM

chevy`s have to be babied to last ford and dodge don`t jacka$$benny.oh and 40,000 is just after break-in. i always seem to get the lemon of whatever i buy.ill drive a ford over chevy  or dodge.ill drive any one of them but drive a ford if i can  
a person cannot argue  against themselves. member of BLOWIN` SMOKE GANG!

DuramaxBen DuramaxBen
12:39 PM

Well you can have your Powerjoke.I still would take a Dmax over any other Brand Dodge Sucks with an auto and Ford just lacks power.  

TBISilverado TBISilverado
Enthusiast | Posts: 621 | Joined: 01/08
01:16 PM

now you are bieng reasonable.i like ford you like duramax thats fine but leave at that.there is no need to go insane over witch is better. everybody likes different things for different reasons.  
a person cannot argue  against themselves. member of BLOWIN` SMOKE GANG!

DuramaxBen DuramaxBen
05:54 PM

Yeah I couldn't agree more just don't insult the Duramax or the Allison and you shall have no problems from me.  

R0oster31 R0oster31
New User | Posts: 13 | Joined: 02/08
06:04 PM

Hey ben maybe you missed it in his post but he claimed his truck was making close to 600 that doesn't sound stock to me.  Maybe you should ask him what all he has done to his truck to get 600 out of it and what he has had to do to make it take the power.  
02 CTD QCLB 6speed
Scotty II, ATS intake and exhaust manifold, Silver 62, studded and ringed, FASS, hot VP44, 155 sticks, dual disc southbend, edge w/attitude, pac brake, almost everything with my own hands

DuramaxBen DuramaxBen
Posted: 02/24/08
06:33 AM

I don't know but if his transmission can take 600hp then 310-365 isn't going to hurt it any.  

Dieseldude03 Dieseldude03
Enthusiast | Posts: 357 | Joined: 01/07
Posted: 02/24/08
11:09 AM

Hi. Ben. I'm not sure if you are aware of this or not, but Dodge actually "offers" 2 6-speed automatic transmissions in the new Rams. The Aisin 6-speed that you are asking about is Made in Japan and is known as a pretty darn stout commercial trans. Thing is, it's only available in the 3500 Ram Chassis Cabs and the 4500-5500 Ram HD's (plus the new Sterling Bullit class-4 and class-5 commercial trucks). It is offerd behind a slightly de-tuned 6.7L Cummins (305hp / 610 lb.-ft.)and has features like PTO drives.

The other 6-speed auto is a Chrysler/Dodge trans known as the 68RFE "Orion" and is a strengthened version of the 48RFE 4-speed auto used behind the 2003-2004 Cummns H.O. and the 2004.5-2007 Cummins 600-610 with two more gears added (it has a double overdrive). It is the one offered in the 2007.5 to present 2500-3500 "regular" 6.7L Cummins Rams that you usually see on the road. The diesel tech at the local Dodge Garage says, so far, is gaining the reputation of being a very strong and reliable trans.

The aforementioned Aisin 6-speed auto is not available in the regular 3/4 and 1-ton Rams, only the Chassis Cab 3500 and th4500-5500 HD's that are shipped without bed and designated for commercial use.

I'll be the first to admit have never been a fan of Dodges automatic transmissions, though the 48RFE 4-speed wasn't necessarily a bad trans, but not really a keeper in my book. I'm picky. But I drove a 2008 2500 Ram with the 68RFE a few months ago, and I was VERY impressed. The shifts were very positive and firm without being harsh, and the trans always seemed to be in the right gear, no matter the road conditions (hills, city, highway, etc.) plus the ability to manually shift (or hold) in any gear with the rocker switch on the shifter stalk. If I was in the position to buy a new Dodge truck (i'm not), I would have to say I would give up my NV-5600 6-speed for the 68RFE.

For more information on this trans, you can go to http://
www.dieseltruckresource.com/
and look around in the 3rd generation 6.7L threads. There's a lot of info there.

As far as the Allison? I'm afraid I don't have any info other than what I read on the forums. It's obviously a stout trans, but I've heard that if you start adding power, the stock torque converter gets cranky at about 60-70 hp over stock and the rest of the trans will complain at or around the 100hp over stock limit.

Hope this helps answer any questions.  
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4. H.O. Cummins, 6spd manual trans, 4.10 gearing. Intake, Exhaust, Hot Juice, HTT HTB2 62/12/65, Jake Brake, 305-65R17 (33 x 12.50) Pro-Comp Extreme All Terrains, SBC Con O FE, Fuel Tank Vent Mod,  Various other gizmos.

I-6 Cummins guys are keepin' it straight. Those other boys swing both ways.

1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last