Diesel Power
1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

SMARTY JR

allaroundathlete50 allaroundathlete50
New User | Posts: 18 | Joined: 02/08
Posted: 02/28/08
07:15 AM

does anyone have the SMARTY or SMARTY JR and what are your thoughts, comments, complaints, about it, from what I have gathered so far it sounds like a good programmer but would it be good for someone just beginning to modify? I think that the smarty JR would be better just cause the 40 70 and 100 hp options rather than doing all that in depth stuff, but I would like some help on deciding a beginning tuner/programmer for my 04 2500 HO so any feedback would be appreciated.  

darrenb darrenb
New User | Posts: 16 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 03/01/08
05:31 PM

i got the smarty and love it! along with the fact that they are making the most power(+230hp/+4000 rpm tnt tune which is soon to be released) and they keep coming out with new, free updated tunes to suit any and all applications, you can't go wrong.

one thing i would recommend is that you should just pay the little extra and get the regular smarty. you will outgrow/get bored of the jr in no time.

the rave about smarty tunes vs. others is low smoke, low egt's and obviously strong smooth power, and no codes! smarty on a stock truck is dynoing +470 hp....at the wheels. and as of a few days ago with proper supporting mods...+860 hp on diesel alone. probably a bunch more in it but they could not keep tires from breaking loose on the dyno..... many think smarty will be the first programmer to put the cr well over 1000hp on diesel alone...maybe even by this summer.  

maybe all this monster hp is not for you, don't worry they have tons of free tunes to download and try on for you applications...and did i mention they're free!

good luck in your decision making!

darren  
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 MegaCab DRW SLT 5.9 4x4 6-Speed Black: Smarty BETA 4.4SL,Silverline 4" SS Turbo-Back Exhaust,AFE Stage 2,Silencer-Ring MIA,Triple A-Pillar AutoMeter Ultra-Lite II: Boost,Pyro & Fuel Pressure, SRT Hood,Line-X,RECON Smoked fender and cab LEDs,80% De-Badged,22.5 Alcoas on 255/70/22.5 Sumitomo ST908s....

cummins4life cummins4life
New User | Posts: 13 | Joined: 03/08
Posted: 03/01/08
08:00 PM

Cummins4life

I have a smarty on my 2007.5 dodge 5.9l it is good power and keeps your EGT lower. But the Smarty wil start fires and shred your tranmition to nothing on level 9
but if you wont power go for it. But it could *** up your truck!! Do not put it on if the only thing you plan to do is chip it thats my 2cents  
www.google.com/Images cummins power logo

darrenb darrenb
New User | Posts: 16 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 03/02/08
05:04 AM

no disrespect cummins4life but i think that response is a little misleading. the standard smarty that gets shipped to you is very stock truck friendly. the only major warning is if you have a stock tranny to not load anything above level 3 just because it has too much power for stock tranny parts.  i have also never even heard of it starting fires with even the new, stronger beta tunes. like i said earlier. smarty is the most versatile product in my opinion. because if you want to stay mild and preseve your stock truck parts they have many tunes for you to choose from includuing the ones it comes shipped to you with. . and later on down the line as your need for hp grows or your truck use evolves into towing and such, they offer many free tunes to fit your style/needs. this product is able to evolve as your needs do.  
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 MegaCab DRW SLT 5.9 4x4 6-Speed Black: Smarty BETA 4.4SL,Silverline 4" SS Turbo-Back Exhaust,AFE Stage 2,Silencer-Ring MIA,Triple A-Pillar AutoMeter Ultra-Lite II: Boost,Pyro & Fuel Pressure, SRT Hood,Line-X,RECON Smoked fender and cab LEDs,80% De-Badged,22.5 Alcoas on 255/70/22.5 Sumitomo ST908s....

Tempest2 Tempest2
User | Posts: 120 | Joined: 01/08
Posted: 03/02/08
10:26 AM

do they have a comparable smarty for 2001 cummins 24v and above level three whats the first part of the stock tranny that goes the convertor or input shaft or internals i would like to buy a smarty or powermax 3 in the spring still researching.  
2001RAM BANKS POWERPACK KIT BANKS 4INCH BRAKE 4INCH STRAIGHT EXHAUST

Posted: 04/22/08
10:37 AM

as far as trans. goes, I have the 6 spd manual, I know that doesn't mean I can't shred anything either, but above level 3 what would be a suggestion to strengthen my tranny? a new clutch altogether? or should I start looking into having my tranny reworked? I personally think that putting a stronger clutch in would help. any guidance of course would not fall on deaf ears.  

Posted: 04/22/08
10:41 AM

hey darren I think I am gonna roll with the smarty by the way I have heard nothing but good things about it from all my boys back home. you should be a salesman though you were pretty much the one that sold me on it.  

weakender weakender
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 01/10
Posted: 01/16/10
08:38 AM

hello i am also trying a smarty jr all i do is pull a 11,000 lb camper just looking to add a little millage and power safeley i tried setting for towing and 99 power level problem is timming and torque. running banks high ram and 5 inch exhust. auto trans with billet torque converter. its a 2005 3500 dulley 4 door any sugjestions on jr. thanks.  

weakender weakender
Posted: 01/17/10
07:26 AM

hey darren i have a smarty jr no big mods this is just my weakend truck pulling a 11,000 lb camper to the coast and nascar. i am running 5 inch exhust banks high ram intake and high ram filter system. i was running a puck extreme dont like the problems of broken injectors. i work at a dodge store diesel tech. i have been trying to get a good feel for the jr but no luck so far. setting on tow and 99 power level but cant come up with a good timming or torque setting. have not hoocked to trailer yet. any sugjestions. thanks  

drillersfool drillersfool
New User | Posts: 9 | Joined: 01/10
Posted: 01/21/10
07:08 PM

Hey Bud I have an 02 Dodge ram with the 6 speed manual, and all sorts of add on and anythings over level 3 will shed the 6 speed I have blown 4 trannies in 2 years.  Not that the smarty is a bad chip it just builds too much power at just off of Idle to run over level 3.  
02 Dodge 2500 sport 4x4.  Twin turbos, 5 inch exhasust to 6 innch exhaust, 100 hp injectors, bd hot pump, Fass 150 150, South bend dual disk race clutch, serpico intercololer, studded and o ring head, Hot stick cam, edge  comp box stacked with Smarty, Electirc fan.  500 hp 1200-1300 ft lbs torque, last run @ 14.2 92 mph.

dsc405 dsc405
New User | Posts: 9 | Joined: 12/09
Posted: 01/21/10
08:21 PM

The regular smarty probably the best programmer out there for HP and tourque but leads to cracked injectors, which leads to engine failure.  The smarty moves more fuel in turn putting more pressure on the rail and then more pressure on the injectors, which eventually will fail.  If the injector fails on the body it is unrebuildable because bosch hasen't released the part yet, but many companies will claim to rebuild the injector but really just put a new tip on it and cross there fingure hoping that it will hold together.  When the injector cracks the fuel system is putting out such a high amount of fuel pressure, that it will actually start burning a hole in the top of the piston and if the body is cracked it will actually burn a hole in the cylinder wall, either way leads to an overhaul, that costs about $1500 in just  engine parts because cummins has the only available pistons for a commonrail at this point, although pro seal claims to make one but every dealer is on back order.  The injectors cost over $350 a piece to replace.  
2005 dodge ram 3500
5.9 Cummins 6 spd double disc clutch, Fass 150, 75 hp injectors, hx40 turbo, S&B Intake, % inch Straight Exhaust, Colt Cam, Haisley Head Studs & Rod Bolts, Haisley valve Springs.

skinnysfd skinnysfd
User | Posts: 52 | Joined: 11/08
Posted: 01/22/10
05:57 PM

I know of several guys running the smarty and smarty jr and they have never had any problems with injectors from the smarty. The leading cause of injector failure in these cr motors is the fuel and also that that is their weak point. I melted the motor down in my 05 because of the banks 6 gun but the smarty is the safest most reliable programmer out there and you will really like it. for some really good info on it go to dodge cummins diesel forums. bob wagner is a very good guy and knows all about the smarty. look him up on there and also talk to the guys there. also dieselbombers.com is another good site for questions about smarty. Smarty is by far the best. I have had edge,banks,and superchips and they do not hold a candle to the smarty. but back to the injectors....guys with completely stock trucks are going through injectors like crazy so it tells you it is not just the programmers. After i melted down the motor on my 05 i ended up getting a FASS system as well to help with the fuel issue and it did pretty good job of it. I tow everyday and tow a lot of weight and smarty is the only programmer i will run. thats just my .02 hope that helps you out  
SOLD 2005 2500
Just bought 2006 3500 cummins, blackouted,B&W turnover ball,4" TB exhaust,and a couple other things that make it go fast and tow like a B$%^T

weakender weakender
Posted: 01/24/10
11:00 AM

thanks guys. like i said i am just a weakender. towing camper other wise just a dailey driver. selling smarty jr i just bought and already installed a edge juice with adatude. easy set egts at 1350 and set level 2 for towing 40hp still running babks high ram and banks air filter system whith scoop and a 5 inch exhust  with magnaflow.  

megaboy megaboy
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 06/10
Posted: 07/03/10
04:55 PM

i have been reading the threads and have been learning a lot, but still would like to know if the smarty jr is safe for towing on a stock 5.9 dodge. i will at some point get a tranny upgrade, but wife will kill me if i do now, so will have to keep it safe till it happens.  

dieseldoc dieseldoc
New User | Posts: 28 | Joined: 06/10
Posted: 07/03/10
05:25 PM

we have the smarty tnt r, on a o6 mega cab thats a daily driver an race truck,far as a stock smarty if u have a g56 6 speed ur clutch wont hold that great just depeands how u drive.an we also the third company in the united states to have a smarty tnt for the 6.7,marco sent it to us 6 monthes ago ,the 6.7 has a arir dog 150,5 inch mrbp egr delete kit, 90hp injectors from dan at ddp,dual cp3's from ppe an a 72m turbo from htt,with a suncoat trans,an smarty tnt,ya remember this the 6.7 for 1 have to have big turbors with lots of cfm,an the other ,no matter standard or automatic the 6.7 will never have turbo slag even with racing twins ,an that tnt file will be available at the end of the year.  

1 |  2 |  Next   | Last