Diesel Power
Mobile Icon BtnMobile Icon Btn RO
Newsletter

Anyone Getting Decent Mileage on 6.4 Power Stroke?

Diesel Power
1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

Anyone Getting Decent Mileage on 6.4 Power Stroke?

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Administrator | Posts: 2112 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 04/08/08
04:36 PM

For all of you that own 6.4L Power Strokes. Are any of you guys getting decent mileage? I keep hearing from everyone what fuel hogs these engines are? Are any of you guys getting above 16 mpg on a consistent basis? If you are, what change/modification seemed to make the biggest difference?  

DMAX007 DMAX007
User | Posts: 74 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 04/08/08
05:13 PM

i talked to a guy last thursday. portage wisconsin fort bp station. i asked him what he got with the 6.4 and he said 12.5 to 12.8. all the time no matter what. not a hater. just what he told me. said he liked the power but no mileage. and he said it was a hog if he let it idle. just what the guy told me. it was a crew cab fx4.  

E2theRock2 E2theRock2
Guru | Posts: 1625 | Joined: 01/08
Posted: 04/09/08
02:20 PM

My brother just got a 08 F-350 crew cab long bed srw and so far he is gettin 16mpg. He drives it like its his grandpas Caddilac and he hasnt towed anything yet to let everything break in. I drove it once and got the onboard computer to read 3mpg, that was also at 98 mph lol The 6.4s are fun trucks, i love the fact they come with 40 psi of boost from the factory.  
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 cc/sb all stock H4 package.
2010 Camaro SS E2theRock2

02:22 PM

E2, that's probably the best mileage I've heard for a 6.4 so far. Yeah, they're running pretty high boost from the factory.  

E2theRock2 E2theRock2
02:28 PM

Thats the thing i really love about his truck. Stock to stock it leaves my Dads LMM in the dust. The 6.4s are quick! But yea the truck is bone stock, not a thing done to it and he isnt plannin on doing any mods to it until he gets more miles on it. If he gets better mileage after mods then I'll post the results.  

DMAX007 DMAX007
User | Posts: 74 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 04/10/08
11:37 AM

NO WAY IS IT BEATING AN LMM! i have read three magazines including one from diesel power. LMM is fastest of big three. and then cummins. then powerjoke.  

murmanpsd7.3 murmanpsd7.3
Enthusiast | Posts: 411 | Joined: 08/07
Posted: 04/10/08
01:25 PM

reading a magazine and actually doing it yourself are a little different. it isn't unheard of for an unloaded truck to beat another brand of a lesser year...lol aside from that none of us know the circumstances behind his observation. you might ask about how e2 came to that conclusion before simply dismissing it and rattling off about some magazine article you read somewhere...  
'99 7.3 psd, afe stage 2 magnum force intake, banks six gun tuner(+62rwhp), superchips 1705 max micro tuner(+110hp), 4" mandrel bent exuast, 6" lift, ranch hand front and rear replacement bumpers, custom lights and lots of other cool gee-wiz stuff.
member- blowin smoke gang

bluetech151 bluetech151
Guru | Posts: 1304 | Joined: 06/07
Posted: 04/11/08
06:19 PM

and don't forget that a 4x4 is fast in 0-60 that a 4x2  
Diesel Power: It'll eat up anything in its path and spit out pure charcoal.

Stircrazi Stircrazi
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 04/08
Posted: 04/12/08
10:10 AM

I bought my 08 F350 Super Cab FX4 in Dec 07 for a couple of reasons. I had on 04 F350 with the 6.0 it was fast, MPG was about 13 but man you could hear me coming from a mile away. The new 6.4 was quiet, dealer told me to expect 15 to 18 MPG and it was faster than my 04, with still all of the towing capacity. FAST FORWARD to the real world. Mad  I baby this truck, I have 3700 miles on her and I am getting on average 9.5 MPG, when I am hauling my trailer I am getting 7 MPG. And it isn't faster than my 04 F350. I love the truck, it is tough looking, very quiet and it does have good towing capacity, but the mileage is killing me. I am even considering a different truck because the mileage is so poor. For all of you out there who claim 15 MPG and more, please tell me how you are getting it.  

7.3stroker 7.3stroker
New User | Posts: 49 | Joined: 02/08
11:01 AM

I've noticed on my dad's 6.4 that if the the dpf filter has just been cleaned that it will get 20mpg with cruise control on at 70mph, but it the dpf is clogged it will only get 13mpg.  
Member-Blowin Smoke Gang

E2theRock2 E2theRock2
03:43 PM

Icon QuoteDMAX007:
NO WAY IS IT BEATING AN LMM! i have read three magazines including one from diesel power. LMM is fastest of big three. and then cummins. then powerjoke.

The Duramax LMM is a 2008 has 8800 miles on it leveled out with 33s 2500 crew cab short bed. The Powerstroke is a 2008 F-350 long bed Crew cab every opition available bone stock nothin done. Both trucks are autos. Its about how you launch. Seems to me that none of these editors in the mags know how to lauch a turbo charged pickup. The common fallacy is to hold the petal to the floor to get maximum boost which is great if you wanna smoke someone out (if you are running lots of fuel) or burn all the rubber off your tires but not for launching or at least at 7220 feet. The trick is to only spool the turbo to to about half spool, if you dont have gauges you have to play it by ear (i can tell where a turbo is at because of the flux in noise) that way when you launch the turbo hits complete and full spool by the sixty foot mark. By doing this you avoid breaking loose for the most part and your truck pulls harder. We did this several times and we got the same result everytime. We even switched drivers to try to change the results and it was the same every time. The 6.4 needs to be given its dues. The engine has come along way since its debut and they are improving with each motor produced. I talked down about the 6.4s all the time before i drove my brothers and realized what a great truck it is. Granted he has only had it for two weeks but this truck is hard at work everyday and it never complians. The Duramaxes must be made for lower elevation because every one we have had has sucked. Every single Dmax has gotten piss poor mileage and has ahd problem after problem. My Dads old 02 dmax which he traded on the 08 was a constant battle. It would never tow anything! We had to unload 90% of any trailer and make multiple trips to get anything done. Then whats even worse is that the salesman talked him into getting an 08 after all the problems he had with the 02 and all the problems that I had with my old 06 LBZ. Now i did love my LBZ but after problem after problem it was costing me too much money and time to get fixed so i had to trade it on the Cummins that i have now thats listed in my signature. I wrote a letter to GM telling them my story and that i would like to by a customer in the future but i would like all those things fixed first. But everyone needs to give the 6.4 there dues because if we dont, I have heard Ford is talkin to CAT and if a CAT resides between the fenders of a SuperDuty the market will be gone Ford will swallow it up.  

gunman41mag gunman41mag
Guru | Posts: 1175 | Joined: 01/08
Posted: 04/13/08
01:45 PM

Icon QuoteStircrazi:
I bought my 08 F350 Super Cab FX4 in Dec 07 for a couple of reasons. I had on 04 F350 with the 6.0 it was fast, MPG was about 13 but man you could hear me coming from a mile away. The new 6.4 was quiet, dealer told me to expect 15 to 18 MPG and it was faster than my 04, with still all of the towing capacity. FAST FORWARD to the real world. Mad  I baby this truck, I have 3700 miles on her and I am getting on average 9.5 MPG, when I am hauling my trailer I am getting 7 MPG. And it isn't faster than my 04 F350. I love the truck, it is tough looking, very quiet and it does have good towing capacity, but the mileage is killing me. I am even considering a different truck because the mileage is so poor. For all of you out there who claim 15 MPG and more, please tell me how you are getting it.

HI STIRCRAZI, Talk with MATT from SPARTAN DIESEL, he has a programmer, that gives the 6.4 up to 260HP and better MPG, also KEM DIESEL has the same deal. SEE WHO GIVES YOU THE BETTER DEAL.  
2008 F250 SUPER-CAB 6.4 PSD 2WD 1999 F250 super-cab 7.3 PSD 2WD(sold)
MEMBER- BLOWIN' SMOKE GANG Commerative Heart

06cumminspower 06cumminspower
Enthusiast | Posts: 334 | Joined: 03/07
Posted: 04/13/08
04:53 PM

well this is irreleavant because my truck is a dodge but last saturday was Mopars At the Rock at rockingham dragway and i averaged 21.3 mpg's driving down and back from greensboro, running down the track 4 times, and idleing in line for probably an hour worth of waiting in line to run. i will out run, out pull, and get twice the mileage doing it in my cummins. no need for me to spend 50k on a new powerjoke only to get worse mileage than a gasser that cost 8,000$ less that burns fuel that is 70cents cheaper. just my 2 cents  

coalboy82 coalboy82
New User | Posts: 14 | Joined: 03/08
Posted: 04/14/08
06:21 PM

I own one if the guy isn't getting but 12 odd mpg he can't drive. My gauge is showing 16.2 mpg right now. And that's in the moutains of Virginia. About the idle problem, it's only when it's cheaning itself out. The new duramax does it and the new dodge also. I drove all three before making my decision and the ford topped out. I don't hate any of them all are good trucks.  
2008 F-250 Power Stroke 6.4 liter Dual Sequence Turbo 6 speed manual 4x4 off road

Posted: 04/15/08
05:52 PM

Icon Quote7.3stroker:
I've noticed on my dad's 6.4 that if the the dpf filter has just been cleaned that it will get 20mpg with cruise control on at 70mph, but it the dpf is clogged it will only get 13mpg.

Wow. Didn't know a clean/dirty DPF made that much difference, but I guess it does.

I know when I was testing out an '08 SD, it seemed it would only go into re-gen when I parked it, right before it shut off. How is it ever supposed to complete a full cleaning cycle if it waits until you stop?  

1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last