cummins with rough idle help!!!!

Diesel Power
Item Posts    Sort Order

cummins with rough idle help!!!!

BullyDogDallas BullyDogDallas
User | Posts: 129 | Joined: 04/08
Posted: 04/23/08
06:09 AM

my truck is an 04' cummins with the 305hp motor it has a rough idle thought it was the bullydog but i took it out and it still has a rough idle, feels like its about to fall apart any help is greatly appriciated

Thanks
Dallas  
2004 Dodge Cummins Quad Cab,Rolling Big Power Tuner, 4 inch straight exhaust, BD Adjustable Wastegate, K&N cold Air Intake, 35 inch BFGs, 17x9 inch Mickey Thompson Wheels

"Member of the Blowin' Smoke Gang"

blacksmoker blacksmoker
Enthusiast | Posts: 354 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 04/23/08
08:53 AM

what RPM is it at when it starts shaking? does it get any better when you rev it up? start by checking the motor mounts, tranny mounts, and the bell housing bolts. is the check engine light on? ive seen engines shake before because they had a dead cylinder.  
1996 Ram 2500 reg. cab longbox, #6 plate, 191 Deliver valves, 60 hp injectors, star wheel turned up a lot, AFE Stage 2 intake into a Phat Shaft 62 wastgate set at 40 psi, 4" straight pipe, Auto Meter Gauges, ATS tranny and TC (unfortunately), Dick Cepek FC-II A/T 265 LR16 (good tires). FS-2500 Bypass Filter. The only hands that work on my truck are my own.

Member - Blowin' Smoke Gang

Posted: 04/24/08
03:44 PM

only when im idling at every other stop sign/ light ECT... i dont know what it is , i thought it was the bully dog i took that out returned it to stock and its still doing it . is it possible the bully dog damaged something, or threw a code and its getting a messed up signal somehow, it never did this before i threw the bully dog in it, it does smooth out when i accelerate, and some times when im stopped it idles totally normal.

Thanks
Dallas  
2004 Dodge Cummins Quad Cab,Rolling Big Power Tuner, 4 inch straight exhaust, BD Adjustable Wastegate, K&N cold Air Intake, 35 inch BFGs, 17x9 inch Mickey Thompson Wheels

needpower needpower
Addict | Posts: 2069 | Joined: 11/07
03:59 PM

what rpm does it idle at?  
1997 f-250 7.3 powerstroke. just another old truck making big power hahaha
my lug nuts need more torque then what your honda makes

blacksmoker blacksmoker
Enthusiast | Posts: 354 | Joined: 11/07
10:00 PM

normally vibrations occur from something being worn out or unbalanced. but if it just the engine when it idles than that isnt possible. take it to a dealer and have them check for codes. it could just be an injector on its way out or with a bad spray pattern. check all the mounting bolts like i said before engines typically dont run as smooth at idle as they do at higher RPM, so if you have loose mounts it would make it noticable.  
1996 Ram 2500 reg. cab longbox, #6 plate, 191 Deliver valves, 60 hp injectors, star wheel turned up a lot, AFE Stage 2 intake into a Phat Shaft 62 wastgate set at 40 psi, 4" straight pipe, Auto Meter Gauges, ATS tranny and TC (unfortunately), Dick Cepek FC-II A/T 265 LR16 (good tires). FS-2500 Bypass Filter. The only hands that work on my truck are my own.

Member - Blowin' Smoke Gang

Posted: 04/25/08
06:05 AM

it idles at 750, and my dad and i think the bully dog F'ed something up electronically, were going to undo the batteries for 15 minutes and see if that works IT DID NOT start doing this until i had that BULLYDOG  

DieselDoc28 DieselDoc28
New User | Posts: 7 | Joined: 07/08
Posted: 08/01/08
12:48 AM

Easy way to tell if you have a dead cylinder: use a Infrared heat gun. Point at exhaust port from Cyl head at each cyl before turbo. All temps should be within approx 50deg. One too hot is overfueling, one too cold is intermittant miss or dead cyl. The engine's firing order naturally will help smooth over an intermitant miss.  

red_96 red_96
User | Posts: 226 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 10/16/08
12:21 PM

I would take it to the dealer and reflash the ECM.
and have them check for codes.  

Posted: 11/20/08
09:10 PM

It was 3 injectors.  

07CrawlerHauler 07CrawlerHauler
User | Posts: 82 | Joined: 06/08
Posted: 11/20/08
10:28 PM

How'd u figure that out? Did you take it to the dealer? Give us a little more here.  
07Cummins5.9 Edge Hot Juice w/ Attitude, AFE Stage 2, Bladerunner, ATS Sub Zero, 5"Straight Pipe w 7" Black Miter Cut Stack, Fass 150, CP3 Dual Line,Leveling Kit, 33"Pro Comp XTreme A/Ts on Black XD Hoss 20s, AmsOil & Mag Hy-Tecs Front, Back & Under, Line-X, & A ****load Of Bass.

Posted: 11/21/08
03:11 PM

Took it to a dealer and put it up to an injector kill test. They charged me $500 to let me know it was my injectors and wanted another $2500 on top of that to replace the 3. So I bought 3 injectors off of eBay and had my mechanic put them in there for free. in other words i saved $1700. I wont be going to the dodge dealership again.  

luckysdiesel luckysdiesel
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 07/12
Posted: 07/02/12
07:04 AM

Guys I had this same problem. The fuel control actuator made by Bosch and located on the injector pump is sticking or malfunctioning. I replaced the fuel filter and before placing the new filter in the housing, I added about a fourth of a cup of automatic transmission fluid. Replaced the fulter and cap, then started the engine. Within a minute the engine smoothed out. Until I got lazy within the past year, I always added a quart of ATV to a tank of uuel. The ATF keeps the fuel system clean, helps fight alge and adds lubrication to the fuel that you no longer get with the low sulfer diesel. This practice will keep your fuel system clean, provide much better lubrication to your very expensive injector pump and save money in the long run. The down side is, you will need to replace the fuel filter more often as all the diesel residue will go directly to the filter. Hope this is useful.If you need a new Bosch fuel control actuator you can get one here.
http://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/p-5061-bosch-fuel-control-actuator-03-07-59l-dodge-cummins.aspx  

luckysdiesel luckysdiesel
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 07/12
Posted: 07/02/12
07:17 AM

I neglected to mention, I use the cheapest ATF I can find at WalMart. No need to use good stuff for this purpose. If you are curious as to how this works, get your hands good and greasy and then clean them with ATF. Also, I know many diesel owners who use ATF as a fuel additive and know of no problems incurred. I have used it for years in a Ford Powerstroke and now for several years in my cummins, at least until I got lazy. Grin By the way, I also use a 50/50 mixture of ATF and 15-50 synthetic oil to oil my firearms. Works better than any gun oil I am aware of.  

terrylsark terrylsark
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/13
Posted: 01/25/13
06:04 PM

HI MY NAME IS TERRY, I HAVE A 1999 3500DIESEL THAT HAD A MISS AT IDLE   WAS TOLD BY A CPL SHOPS THAT IT WAS THE INJECTORS BAD , I PUT NEW INJECTORS IN IT , NO CHANGE, I WAS TOLD THAT IT HAD TO BE THE TURBO BOOST SENSOR, I REPLACE IT AND NO CHANGE, I FINALLY FIGURED THAT IT MIGHT BE THE CRANK SENSOR AND THAT FINALLY AFTER ALMOST A YR MESSING WITH IT IT FIXED IT IT RUNS PERFECTLY NOW, THE THING IS THE TRUCK WILL RUN WITHOUT THE CRANK SENSOR BECAUSE THE INJECTION PUMP IS TIMED TO THE ENGINE SO IT GOES TO LIKE A PREPROGRAMMED MODE SO IT WONT LEAVE YOU ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD BUT THE CRANK SENSOR FIXED IT              TERRY   I HOPE THIS WILL BE SOME HELP TO ALL THE GUYS IVE SEEN ON HERE WITH THE SAME PROBLEM