Lowering your EGT's

Diesel Power
Item Posts    Sort Order

Lowering your EGT's

BULLYDOGCUMMINS BULLYDOGCUMMINS
New User | Posts: 24 | Joined: 04/08
Posted: 04/15/08
06:41 PM

What is the best way to lower your EGT's? If I race, I've got mine up to 1400 degrees. I know thats not good, I only got it up there for a second then I let off. So my question to yall is "what is the best way(s) to lower your EGT's?" I plan on gettin a intercooler and intake elbow. And I have the Bully Dog Tri Dog and Outlook Monitor. Does exhaust pipe material make a difference? Stacks or out the back? And what the FASS fuel system do for you vehicle? I hear alot about after market fuel systems on vehicles and waswondering what the big deal was with it. Thanks for the help....  
2006 Dodge 3500 4x4, Lonestar Edition, 5.9L Cummins, 6 spd. trans., Bully Dog Downloader and Outlook Monitor, 4" straight pipe and 6" tip, Volant Cold Air Intake with Ram Air Scoop, AFE Bladerunner, 2.5" Leveling Kit, Clear cab lights and 3rd brake light, Lots of extras. Next is Stacks and Water/Methanol Injection.

Nickname: T-Bone
Member of Blowin' Smoke Gang

TBISilverado TBISilverado
Enthusiast | Posts: 621 | Joined: 01/08
Posted: 04/16/08
12:05 AM

well for egt`s a minimum 4" exhaust and there`s also water/ methanol injection kits.you hane a good start with the inake and intercoller.and after market fuel pumps deliver more fuel to your lift/injection to keep it from starving with tuners set on max power.  
a person cannot argue  against themselves. member of BLOWIN` SMOKE GANG!

E2theRock2 E2theRock2
Guru | Posts: 1625 | Joined: 01/08
06:12 AM

Well like TBI said you have a good start with the intercooler, it will help alot more than you think but i would also try water/meth injection. I have in on my 06 Cummins and i love it. Whats not to like about 70 extra horse and lower egts? The only tricky part about the water/meth is that each truck is different so you will have to expiremant with different nozzle sizes and because if you use too much and quench your truck (i have done it a couple times and it sounds like you are about to blow up your truck) another thing to try is a bigger exhaust like 5" if you dont have it already. Hope that helps.  
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 cc/sb all stock H4 package.
2010 Camaro SS E2theRock2

brad101985 brad101985
User | Posts: 93 | Joined: 04/08
07:53 AM

another option to look at is getting a bd or ats exhaust manifold and air arc. that will help lower egts and help spool the turbo up faster. As far as how hot u have had ur egts. i would be to worried about running them that high just make sure to let the turbo cool down. i have had mine at 1900 and i usually have mine at about 1500 or 1600. i have been driving the truck like that for a year and no problems. don't be afraid to let that cummings have it. it will take the punishment and more.My mechanic pull a 2 cummins and hits that hot for the full pull. so don't worry about it to much. just make sure to give the truck time to cool itself down.  
03 Ram 2500, edge juice with attitude and hot unlock code, Smarty, 90 ddp injectors, fass 150, BD air arch, BD super B turbo, ATS manifold, Custom exhaust, K&N intake.

brad101985 brad101985
08:00 AM

as far as the fass system it will help push fuel like the others have said and also when u get it get the filters with it. i had to replace my injectors because i found out that dodge uses a 10 micron filter. well that is not very small. so my injectors got cloged. i would recommend a lift pump with filter for anyone with a cummins. Also make sure u r using good lubricants in ur truck. that will also help with high egts. the better the product like rottela t and lucas is what i use in mine all the time and never have any problems. always use a fuel additite also.  
03 Ram 2500, edge juice with attitude and hot unlock code, Smarty, 90 ddp injectors, fass 150, BD air arch, BD super B turbo, ATS manifold, Custom exhaust, K&N intake.

05:21 PM

Yea Im goin to get the intake next, and then the intercooler. I've heard about some of the water/methanol systems, but havent did my research on it yet. Im also goin to look at a bigger exhaust system. What about stacks? or out the back? Does that make a difference? And I don't have a after market intake system yet? Any recommendations on that? My dad has a S&B on his and he seems to like it. I just haven't made up my mind on one yet, theres so many. Thanks for all the help everyone.  
2006 Dodge 3500 4x4, Lonestar Edition, 5.9L Cummins, 6 spd. trans., Bully Dog Downloader and Outlook Monitor, 4" straight pipe and 6" tip, Volant Cold Air Intake with Ram Air Scoop, AFE Bladerunner, 2.5" Leveling Kit, Clear cab lights and 3rd brake light, Lots of extras. Next is Stacks and Water/Methanol Injection.

06:40 PM

Also whats the difference in a Stage 1, 2, and 3 cold air intake?  

Dieseldude03 Dieseldude03
Enthusiast | Posts: 357 | Joined: 01/07
07:08 PM

You may also look into a turbo upgrade. My HTB2 62/12/65 (pretty small as far as performance turbos go)cools my EGT's a full 250 degrees with the "hot" Juice compared to the stock turbo. Much smoother power delivery also. With the stocker, the truck would hit 1400 degrees by the time I hit 5th gear and de-fuel. If I overrode the de-fueling, EGT's would hit 1500+ unloaded on a flat road. Now I can't get it over 1250 degrees on the same road, no matter how hard I push it.

If I ever decide to stack or upgrade the injectors though, I'll be looking real hard at water/meth injection to keep things nice and cool.  
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4. H.O. Cummins, 6spd manual trans, 4.10 gearing. Intake, Exhaust, Hot Juice, HTT HTB2 62/12/65, Jake Brake, 305-65R17 (33 x 12.50) Pro-Comp Extreme All Terrains, SBC Con O FE, Fuel Tank Vent Mod,  Various other gizmos.

I-6 Cummins guys are keepin' it straight. Those other boys swing both ways.

brad101985 brad101985
09:31 PM

the difference that i have seen is what it comes with. like stage one is just the cone filter. stage 2 will be the cone filter and intake tube to the turbo. and stage 3 would be cone filter and box for it and also ur intake tube to the turbo.  

jms_shepherd jms_shepherd
User | Posts: 245 | Joined: 07/08
Posted: 07/23/08
02:35 PM

Ok here is what I would do to lower EGT's.  Buy a cold air intake and Exhaust Manifold Elbow (CFM Manifold).  Once that is done, I would upgrade you're exhaust from a 4 to a 5 inch.  Not only do you get better throttle response, it will lower EGT's a little and the sound, my god it's awesome you have no idea.  Water Methanol would be an incredible upgrade for you if you're looking to lower EGT's.  The Highest I have seen my truck was just yesterday when I smoked a Mustang GT (320rwhp).  My temp didn't get above 1000 at open throttle.  I have a few more things than that but yeah.  You will see an incredible difference in EGT's.  You're intercooler however, with what you have on the truck so far,  don't spend the money on it yet.  Those stock intercoolers are pretty effecient buddy so they will last for awhile.  Once you start getting up in horsepower, then I would upgrade, but right now there are other things you can do beside spending the 1200 on a intercooler.  That could buy your water/meth intake and CFM elbow there.  I think you already have the intake but yeah.  
5.9 2007 Cummins. Wastegated 5000 with PDI manifold 2nd gen, Snow Water meth, Pro Sportsman Valve Spring, Banks Intercooler with tubing, Banks Elbow, Smarty TNT-R, Predator Box,F1 Flux injectors, Floor It Diesels Stage III Modified CP3 AirDog 150/150, 5 inch exhaust, S&B intake, Billet Transmission Flex plate, Converter and Valve Body.  
791hp. 1489ft lbs

jms_shepherd jms_shepherd
User | Posts: 245 | Joined: 07/08
Posted: 07/23/08
02:46 PM

Regarding the fuel pump.....  If you're using any chip, providing your fuel pump with a lift pump is essential buddy.  When you use those chips, they tell your pump to shove in ALOT of fuel, thats what they do to give you more power.  Well the stock pump will only go so far.  You may not even realize it, but you're fuel pressure may, probably is lower, than normal.  This is bad for the pump and can suck it dry it will actually begin to pump air in with the fuel and this my friend will put a lot of stress on the internals of the pump.  Not to mention that the pumps lubricity comes from the fuel.  What the lift pump does is supply the fuel pump, whether it be by suction of pressure, by shoveling the fuel into the fuel pump so it can provide the fuel you're turck is needing.  The lift pump will restore that.  I would go with an AirDog myself, they have a lifetime warranty and they also have a water/air seperator built into their pumps, and they're cheaper. 550 for one I think  
5.9 2007 Cummins. Wastegated 5000 with PDI manifold 2nd gen, Snow Water meth, Pro Sportsman Valve Spring, Banks Intercooler with tubing, Banks Elbow, Smarty TNT-R, Predator Box,F1 Flux injectors, Floor It Diesels Stage III Modified CP3 AirDog 150/150, 5 inch exhaust, S&B intake, Billet Transmission Flex plate, Converter and Valve Body.  
791hp. 1489ft lbs

2001.SCOTT 2001.SCOTT
Enthusiast | Posts: 464 | Joined: 12/07
Posted: 07/27/08
02:31 PM

the factory exhuast i have heard its really free flowing just have to get rid of the cat and muffler you can really hear to turbo when you do this my buddys done it to his truck and it worked out good that way you can put the snow kit on or intercooler  
2001 dodge with 5in exhaust k@n intake with edge comp box,2in leveling, added holley blue lift pump kit member-"Blowing Smoke Gang" Ranchhand bumbers

comanche6 comanche6
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 08/10
Posted: 08/28/10
08:30 PM

I have a 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Heavy Duty 5.9. I've got an Edge juice with attidue,MBRP 4" turbo back straight exhaust, AFE Cold air Intake Pro Dry,and AFE Bladerunner. Stock Turbo and Stock Clutch still. I was towing a Tractor the other day that weighed 10,650# on a 30Ft Gooseneck. My exhaust temps were reaching 1,480. and kept over 1,350. I tried down shifting and letting off the gas and it didn't make a differance for long. Also My Engine Temp was getting up around 220 Not anything to worry about I know but when it has never gotten that high before towing heavier loads than this..... Whats going on? and What do I need to do to keep The temps down so I don't cook the turbo. Keep In Mind this truck still Has WARRANTY! So I have to watch what i do so the dealer won't void. The truck was dyno'd at 408RWHP before new exhaust and Hot code unlocked.

Thanks,
                                   Jr