Ad Radar
Diesel Power
Mobile Icon BtnMobile Icon Btn RO
Newsletter

Duramax injector problem class action suit.

Diesel Power
Prev |  1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

Duramax injector problem class action suit.

Blakester63 Blakester63
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 08/03/09
08:58 AM

I would be very interested in a class action lawsuit. I have had problems with my 2006 Duramax LLZ since 108,000 miles. (now at 140,000) Going into limp mode, code P0087 "low fuel rail pressure". Been in several dealerships at least 6 times for this with no fix. I had to get out of the ltl freight business due to this! Have only pulled a couple of loads since 8-08 and it happened both times. The problem has gradually worsened. Originally it only happened while towing uphill, and has progressed to the point where it happens when pulling an empty trailer now or a fairly good load on flat terrain. I think it is a grand cover up by GM to avoid the responsiblity of repairing all these Duramaxes! I have my doubts as to whether or not the fuel injector problem was ever fixed. It is my opinion it is either the injectors or something related.  

distr777 distr777
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 08/09/09
06:16 AM

I was just about to buy a chevy diesel.  BIG "NO"!
what diesel make do you suggest (pick up truck)?  

15MetalMan 15MetalMan
New User | Posts: 8 | Joined: 06/09
Posted: 08/10/09
03:37 PM

DISTR777: If you take a look at the different threads for all the big 3, Duramax, Cummins, and Powerstroke; you will come across threads with people having issues from all 3. I am also in the market for a new diesel truck, but I am going to put it off as long as possible to see if at least one of the big 3 can get it right. I was originaly a GM fan, but with there current financial issues and information like this has changed my mind. I was leaning to Dodge with the Cummins, but the new ones are having issues of there own from what I read on here, they also went to Washington for help and they are made in Mexico from what I have read. That leaves Ford, the only one not asking for help, but one that definately needs to prove itself after the flop of the 6.0. There are issues with the Powerstroke also. It seems that they are having a serious issues with the lower sulfer diesel and trying to meet the emissions. If things don't start getting better, I will end up getting a 98-02 Ford and putting a 5.9 Cummins in it and let them keep their new ones. Good luck trying to make a decision.  

chappy603 chappy603
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/09
Posted: 09/20/09
05:04 PM

count me in on the class action, were do i sign up? 02 dmax with 115,00 and about 8 months out of warrinty. I was told too bad you got 100,00 out of it. customer assistance was a joke, after about two hours on the phone with them giving them all but my shoe size i was told someone would get back to me in 24-48 hours. after the 5th day i called back to find out they had the wrong info for me and they closed the case after they coud not get in touch with me. i gave them 3 phone numbers how many more do they need. so i asked customer sevice for a superviser, and was told the guy i was talking to was the superviser so i asked for his boss "sorry you have gone as far as you can go there is nothing more we can do". its no wonder gm is now government motors. i bought a diesel because they are supose to last a long time, 3-400,000 miles, boy was i wrong i could of replaced a gas engine for what i have into the diesel injectors ($5,295.00). so if anyone needs some names for a class action or has some info that might help me out (like the name and number of a gm exec) i would greatly apreciate it
thank you
from a former gm fan  

wildeman wildeman
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/09
Posted: 09/22/09
01:28 PM

I have a 2002 2500HD crewcab longbed diesel that is on it's 3rd set of injectors. The 7/200,000 warranty ran out so now I'm stuck with a $4000 bill! The truck only has 72,000 miles on it! I was pulling my rv and white smoke started pouring out the exhaust like the time before. I've put 7000 miles on it since last injectors which were put in it under warranty. Injectors are junk and I'm stuck with the bill. Let me know if you need help with the class action suit!
Brad  

SCSUAviator SCSUAviator
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 10/09
Posted: 10/27/09
03:49 PM

Sign me up for a class-action lawsuit. I've got a 2001 Chevy 2500HD with 68,000 and just found out that my injectors are bad. The dealership is charging $5300 to replace all eight. I really pisses me off that the warranty only covers 7 years or 200,000 miles, whichever comes first. GM Customer Service has told me that I am one year out of warranty even though my truck hasnt yet reached even 100,000 miles.  

ctrypicker ctrypicker
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 10/09
Posted: 10/29/09
09:15 AM

Count me in as well.. just joined. I bought a 2001 duramax in July 09, low miles 115,000, and beautiful truck. I thought I'd done enough research before purchasing it and went with GM over Ford and Dodge, even though I'm a Ford man. I was towing a car in last week for a friend and it laid down on me to the point we had to take the car and dolly off of my truck and hook to his, 2005 5.3 1500 2X4 just to get it home. My 13yr son even made the comment "dad, what if we'd been pulling the camper?". I originally bought the truck to pull my 25' camper that weighs in at around 5000lbs. At this point I've got my doubts with the injector issue. Like every one else, I was thrilled with my "new" diesel at first, and at this point, I think I wish I had my Toyota back. I drove it for 12 years and NEVER had any problems. So, I'm new at this and haven't even contacted either GM, a Lawyer, or another Diesel Garage, which I do have one lined up. I don't have the 5000.00 to replace injectors on a truck that I had hoped to drive forever. I'm still researching, but if anything comes of this PLEASE let me know, I'll provide any/all information I can!
Thanx
Dan  

tinderbox427 tinderbox427
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/09
Posted: 11/10/09
12:07 PM

I have a 2001 HD I bought before my 2nd tour in Iraq.  The injuctors suck, the coolant sucks, the whole truck sucks because of the all mighty dollar.  I have a 97 Silverado with the 6.5 diesel and I treat it like complete crap but it still out performs the junkmax.  I have 17 years in the Army because I believe in the American People, the American greed can go to Iraq and get the *** blown out of them like I did.  Sue there ass.  tinderbox427@hotmail.com  

desertrider1776 desertrider1776
Posted: 11/11/09
08:17 PM

Count me in as well. I have an 01 2500HD (heavy duty MY A$$). Replaced the 1st set of injector at 70,000 miles due to leaking. This was covered under warrantee. But because there was such a shortage of new injectors available at the time because everyone else's injector were failing as well, the dealer didnt explain the problem just said there was a problem with the injectors but I could drive the truck for the next 30 days till the new injectors came in. The jerk didn't tell me the injectors were leaking diesel fuel into my crankcase, leaning out my oil!! I discovered this when I drained the oil at home and discovered it was full of diesel. And the moron service advisor said it was okay to drive??? Had I not drained the oil I would have melted the motor! So I ended up leaving the truck to sit until I could get my hand on new injectors.
Then at 90k miles the front wheel bearings go out.... I figure no big deal bearings are cheap. Till I discover the "new design" uses pressed bearings which are integral with the entire hub. Dealer wants $900 to replace... I speak to my friend who works at parts desk at dealer and I discover DEALER COST is $220 per hub... So for HALF THE Price he buys the hubs and I replace them myself. Dealer was going to screw me by DOUBLING the costs of the parts.
120k miles the water pump goes out.... $1400
130k miles the drive shaft needs to be rebuilt $700
150k miles the dealer just informed me that the truck needs ANOTHER full set of injectors as they are clogged..NOT under warrantee. Dealer wants $4300 for the repair. That is 1/10 the cost of the entire truck new! I am sure Bosch makes a fine injector but $500 per injector seems just a little steep if I am going to need to replace them every 2 years.
I spoke directly to the mechanic and he said the problem was the 10 micron filter on the truck was inadequate for filtering the fuel... which is leading to all the injector problems. So GM is giving us a gold plated injector and a POS filtering system.
That is only PART of the dealer/truck issues for the major items... I must have went through just about every dealer service department in San Diego county trying to find an honest mechanic. One mechanic even broke the poles on a battery then claimed the pole was broken when brought in. This guy was the only one who ever touched that battery! Ended up costing me $200 for a set of new batteries.

I am done with GM... unfortunately I can't afford a new truck and can't afford the new injectors either... I am just waiting to get a notice in the mail for a gross polluter someday. If and when I do come up with the funds to replace injectors I am going to look for a 2nd filter to place after the stock injector to further filter the fuel... may work may not... but going to need to get another 2-3 years out of this truck.  

insprick insprick
Posted: 11/16/09
12:43 PM

I also agree a class action suit is in order.. I brought a 2002,6.6L LB7 Diesel with 129,000 miles. Injectors were replaced at 109,000 under warrenty. I bought what I understood to be the work horse of a truck. I am pulling a 32' 5th wheel. At 183,000, ( only 54,000 ) for me, 5 out 8 injectors are bad. Of course the fix is to replace all 8, while it's open. Problem is several injector tubes have come out also, resulting in talk of two new heads. Cost now is through the roof, a new motor is less expensive then the repair parts. The Silverado 2500 with a Duramax and Allison tranny are billed as the best, GM should stand behind them in all maintenance problems. I did talk to a GM rep, who basically told me I am SOL.
GM should warrenty all injector problems to the 200,000 mile range anytime they are replaced. My main problem now is if I buy a new replacment motor, do I get one that has been sitting since 2002, with the same injectors in it, which are junk.
Is the LB7 my only option for replacment? Anybody have a motor for sale?  

shookme shookme
New User | Posts: 26 | Joined: 09/09
Posted: 11/16/09
09:23 PM

Icon Quoteinsprick:
I also agree a class action suit is in order.. I brought a 2002,6.6L LB7 Diesel with 129,000 miles. Injectors were replaced at 109,000 under warrenty. I bought what I understood to be the work horse of a truck. I am pulling a 32' 5th wheel. At 183,000, ( only 54,000 ) for me, 5 out 8 injectors are bad. Of course the fix is to replace all 8, while it's open. Problem is several injector tubes have come out also, resulting in talk of two new heads. Cost now is through the roof, a new motor is less expensive then the repair parts. The Silverado 2500 with a Duramax and Allison tranny are billed as the best, GM should stand behind them in all maintenance problems. I did talk to a GM rep, who basically told me I am SOL.
GM should warrenty all injector problems to the 200,000 mile range anytime they are replaced. My main problem now is if I buy a new replacment motor, do I get one that has been sitting since 2002, with the same injectors in it, which are junk.
Is the LB7 my only option for replacment? Anybody have a motor for sale?

If the injector sleeves pulled out of the heads, as long as the heads aren't scored where the bottom of the sleeve fits, they should be able to just put loctite on the bottom of the sleeve and some new o-rings and pound the sleeves back in.

I checked just last week, and a reman LB7 from GM lists for $7,777.78. That should be a long block w/injectors.

Why aren't they warrantying the injectors? What was the rep's excuse?  

awcianfaglione awcianfaglione
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 12/09
Posted: 12/22/09
07:11 PM

Hello Stephan My name Andrew W. Cianfaglione my email address is awcianfaglione@gmail.com I live in Ohio.I too have had a major problem with GM about injector failure in my 2002 2500HD duramax diesel. In early march of 2009 I started having trouble with my duramax engine, fluid was coming out of the front breather tube,so I called the service manager at Classic Chevolet in Mentor,Ohio.I explained the problem to him that I was having and At that time he told me that my truck was past the 5yr., 100,000 mile warrenty, but if Iwould bring it in yhey would look at it and if they found something wrong with it maybe GM would replace the parts. Iasked him what about the labor ,he said I would have to pay for it. At that point I told him that I was mechanicly enclined, and I had several certified technician friends and that we would do the work our selves, and if we found a problem with a part then we would go to GM to see if they would warrenty it. He said fine. At that time he didn't say anything about a extented notice on the injectors of 7yrs. or 200,000 miles. I am a construction contractor so at that time I put it off because we where starting to get busy with work, farming,and summer family functions. Summer went by, we started slowing down and about the 1st of november we started working on my truck. We first noticed that it had a miss and had some crank case blow by, so we thought it had a bad piston. We started to work pulling the engine out to do so you have to take the bottom half of il pan off to clear the front differencial,and to do that you have to drain the oil pan. At that time we got 61/2 gallons fluid out of the crank case,we got the engine out ,started disassembling it, we found that the diesel fuel had washed out the rings on the pistons, washed out the bearing, rods and mains,scored the cylinder walls and had caused damage to crank shaft, cam shaft,vavles in heads.I took the block, heads, crank , cam, and injectors to Francis Engineering to have the block line honed, and cylinders honed, and block decked, the crank polished, cam polished, heads had to have valves and valve springs replaced and heads decked.Piston needed to be cleaned and checked , and new rings installed.We also needed new rod, and main bearings. These engines are known to stretch head and main bolts ,so we put ARP stud in engine. We got back report from Columbus Diesel that was "We tested these injectors for deliver, return amount, spray pattern, reponce time, opens and grounds. We found 1 of the bodys to be cracked and had extrunal fuel leak. he other 7 injectors had high fuel return on one or more of hte 4 delivery checks. We feel all 8 of these injectors should be replaced." At this point I contacted service manager at Classic Chevolet and told him what we had found and faxed him a copy of the report and a copy of the bill from Francis Engineering that was 8,600.00.He said that I would have to call GM customer service department and make a claim, in doing so I was given a claim no. 71-779513211. After customer service reviewed my case with Classic Chevolet they determined that at this time,12/17/09, I was out of the time limitation of 7yrs,but I only have 104,000 miles on my truck.At the time I first contacted Classic Chevolet in early March i was only out of warrenty by 45 days, being that I took possesion of my truck 1/15/02. At this time I still do not have any injectors because of the price of them and no plow truck to work this winter. I only found out about the extended notice by getting on line, and finding out how many people had injector problems and problems with GM.  

JQmile JQmile
New User | Posts: 19 | Joined: 11/06
Posted: 12/24/09
02:25 PM

Class Action suit:

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=335247  

awcianfaglione awcianfaglione
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 12/09
Posted: 01/15/10
05:12 AM

I don't know of any class action law suits yet but I am ready to join one also, Andrew W. Cianfaglione. Email address awcianfaglione@gmail.com.  

Dgordon505 Dgordon505
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 01/10
Posted: 01/29/10
08:34 PM

Please add me to your class action lawsuit.
GM just denied me any help with my 2002 GMC Duramax with injector failure.
They stated that I was over my warranty by 6 months
The Dealership stated that there was injector failure; and the injectors pumped diesel fuel into the engine.
The engine will require a complete overhaul or replacement!
The bill will be approximant $14,000.00
2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD
123,000 miles

Daryl Gordon
86 Washington ave
Glendale Ohio 45246
Dgordon505@aol.com
513-404-1999 cell #  

Prev |  1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last