Diesel Power
1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

Inline 6 vs. V8 Diesel

EaTmYSMOKE EaTmYSMOKE
User | Posts: 106 | Joined: 03/08
Posted: 05/08/08
01:11 PM

Ok I started this thread because recently I was told by a couple members that a v8 diesel produces more power and torque than an I6 and gets better fuel mileage. Obviously I don't agree with them and I think that they need to pay close attention to what we have to say. An I6 is more efficient than a v8 in quite a few ways and I would like all your inputs on this with as many facts as you can and possibly providing some sources. I do believe that many of the members in the blowin smoke gang will have something to say! Smile  
FOR SALE 1998.5 Dodge 2500 24v Cummins~~AFE Stage 2 Cold Air Intake~CFM+ High Flow Intake~Quadzilla XZT+ Module~Superchips MaxMicrotuner Programmer~Premier Fuel Cell~4" Turboback Straight Piped Exhaust
Member- Blowin Smoke Gang

mprmn08 mprmn08
User | Posts: 107 | Joined: 03/08
01:29 PM

If a v8 was better and produced more torque then why wouldnt all the heavy trucks have them in it and not I6's?? Also if you look at fuel mileage comparisons on ford chevy and dodge then dodge is usually on top. i say usually only becuase there is some out there that arent. Also why wouldnt more people build powerstrokes or d-max's instead of everyone doing cummins??  

nmlakerat nmlakerat
Enthusiast | Posts: 372 | Joined: 01/08
02:07 PM

mrpmn08 about covered it nuff said  
member-Blowin' Smoke Gang
board of directors

dukeboy_318 dukeboy_318
Guru | Posts: 897 | Joined: 01/07
02:28 PM

agreed, plus a inline 6 torques up way quicker and at a lower RPM then a V8, making it top dog for a diesel and or a pulling vehicle.  even in a gas vehicle, a 251/ 4.0 liter inline 6 in a jeep makes the same torque at a lower RPM then its 5.2 and 5.9 v8 counterparts.  an inline motor will always out torque a v- motor simply due to the physics of it.  
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 24 valve, 5spd with south bend 550hp+ clutch, 150 horse injectors, Fram Boost intake(for now), Edge Juice with attitude, 150 gph fass fuel pump and much more, all together 450 dyno proven HP and 1170 ft lbs.
DPMAG May Ride of the Month

and a quote from Dmax007-  this site is entirely the blind leading the blind. nobody on this site has the balls to stand up to this stupid blowin smoke gang. got news for you, i do.  

Recruiter/member of the Blowing Smoke Gang!

BLACK_06POWERSTROKE BLACK_06POWERSTROKE
Enthusiast | Posts: 702 | Joined: 03/08
02:28 PM

yep bein a die hard ford man it kills me to say it buit the I-6 definitly is the way to go. im just glad there are companies out there that make it possible to make cummins conversions because IF/WHEN my psd gives me trouble thats what ill be doing because it is the best way to go!!i just hope it doesnt happen  till the truck is MINE in 2 more years.  
09 f-250 ICON, TOYO, FUEL, INNOVATIVE/SCT

nmlakerat nmlakerat
Enthusiast | Posts: 372 | Joined: 01/08
02:33 PM

not to mention the rigidity of the bottom end better crank support main journal strength. rod size just look at the parts from each see which you would rather have spinnin fast in your truck. no comparison  
member-Blowin' Smoke Gang
board of directors

dukeboy_318 dukeboy_318
05:04 PM

yep, thats why professional tracotr pullers in the modified series tend to run with the old inline 8s and 12s out of the old bombers from WW2.  those things crank out more torque then you can imagine, i belive the inline 12 makes upswards of 3500 horses and 500 ft lbs in competition trim.  
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 24 valve, 5spd with south bend 550hp+ clutch, 150 horse injectors, Fram Boost intake(for now), Edge Juice with attitude, 150 gph fass fuel pump and much more, all together 450 dyno proven HP and 1170 ft lbs.

and a quote from Dmax007-  this site is entirely the blind leading the blind. nobody on this site has the balls to stand up to this stupid blowin smoke gang. got news for you, i do.  

DuramaxBen DuramaxBen
Guru | Posts: 894 | Joined: 01/08
Posted: 05/09/08
07:02 AM

Yes but the V8 diesel is able to produce more hp and torque due to the 2 extra cylinders.In V8s the cylinders are generally smaller than the I6s.  
President of the Firepack. Hate me for my Actions not my BRAND CHOICE!
Proud owner of Cornwell Tools.

sandslinger79 sandslinger79
Enthusiast | Posts: 401 | Joined: 12/07
07:46 AM

Ben you will never learn. Inline all the way.  
2006 Dodge ram 2500 Crew cab short bed, K&N intake, Bully Dog Triple Dog W/ Crazy Larry, Quadzilla boost fooler, Boost & Pyro on A-Pillar, Magnaflow Exhaust.

NEVER ARGUE WITH A IDIOT, THEY WILL LOWER YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE!!!

dukeboy_318 dukeboy_318
12:56 PM

Icon QuoteDuramaxBen:
Yes but the V8 diesel is able to produce more hp and torque due to the 2 extra cylinders.In V8s the cylinders are generally smaller than the I6s.

in a since, you are half right, a v-8 may seeem like they have more potential to produce more horsepower and torque, but they dont.  Its a common disbelief, youre not the only one that believes this and you would be correct in the gas powered v8 vs I6, but in the case of diesel motors, an inline will also produce the same or higher on torque, horsepower, maybe not, but in the diesel world of pulling, horsepower isnot the most crucial thing, its torque and where that powerband is.  I will grant to you though, currently the dmax has higher flywheel numbers, but not by much.  plus its a lot harder to equalize the boost going to each cylinder from a turbo charged v8. THere is one downside to an inline 6, the wieght.  Because of the physics of it, it creates more torque on the internal parts themselves, therefor those parts cant be made of aluminum like in the case of most v6 and v8 engines today.  Plus the inline 6 has greater longevity because of the parts used and the power potential of a stock block and rotating assymbly is much much higher then a v8.  That cummins has done sooo well.  THey have used the same basic block since 89 and have cranked out some serious horses out of it.  it led the power standings for 20 years, emissions are whats killing the 6.7, take those dang things off and adjust the timing and youll see 400 horses factory, i bet you money on that.  trust the top dog makers, cummins and cat, theyve beeng around for decades, they know what they are doing.  

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Administrator | Posts: 2112 | Joined: 07/06
02:17 PM

There are advantages and disadvantages to both designs. From a strength standpoint, an inline-six definitely has an advantage over a V8 because of main bearing area. A V8 has five, and an inline-6 has seven. In theory, you'd have a little more torsional stress on the crank with an inline-six, but I think it's more than offset by the bearing area and strength.

As mentioned, a comparable-displacement straight-six compared to a V8 will generally be heavier and bulkier, but if that's not a factor, it's probably preferable to go with the six.

For lighter-duty applications, a V8 would probably be better. Which is why the Ram 1500 is probably going to offer a Cummins V8, as well as the new Duramax 4500 and 4.4L Power Stroke (actually based on a Land Rover design). But for all-out power and strength, the straight-six is probably the best design.  

gunman41mag gunman41mag
Guru | Posts: 1175 | Joined: 01/08
02:19 PM

HI ESANCHEZ, HOW WAS YOUR VACATION?????  
2008 F250 SUPER-CAB 6.4 PSD 2WD 1999 F250 super-cab 7.3 PSD 2WD(sold)
MEMBER- BLOWIN' SMOKE GANG Commerative Heart

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Administrator | Posts: 2112 | Joined: 07/06
02:31 PM

Icon Quotegunman41mag:
HI ESANCHEZ, HOW WAS YOUR VACATION?????

Vacation? What vacation? I was workin'! (Click it!)  Smile  

VWdiesel VWdiesel
User | Posts: 102 | Joined: 12/07
06:51 PM

the i6 makes much more hp and torque for having 2 less cylinders than a v8, think about an i6 vs. a v6 the i6 puts out more,,, plus it has less working parts which means less wear and tear on the engine equalling lasting for more miles  
'81 VW caddy diesel 3.5 inch exhaust,, smokes reel good and sounds like a big truck now. and still gits 46 mpg!

'93 F250 cold air intake , straight pipe w/ 5" stack

E2theRock2 E2theRock2
Guru | Posts: 1625 | Joined: 01/08
06:59 PM

I6 nuff said I think the boys ^ covered it.  
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 cc/sb all stock H4 package.
2010 Camaro SS E2theRock2

1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last