2003 Tahoe swap

Diesel Power
Item Posts    Sort Order

2003 Tahoe swap

msh9475 msh9475
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 05/08
Posted: 05/06/08
08:02 PM

I new to this forum and haven't seen a post for what I'm wanting to do so I thought I'd throw this out.  I'm trying to see if I can swap a 2003 Tahoe engine for a Duramax 6.6.  The Chevy dealers won't even touch it and the local shops are quoting $8000 just for an engine.  That doesn't include the tranny, wiring harness or any of the extras(fabrication).  I'm trying to see if it is at least possible and if it's feasible to do it for under $11,000.  (That's my budget)  Any info would be greatly appreciated.  I just don't want to get sucked in at $77/hr for someone else to experiment on my dollar.  Thanks.  

gunman41mag gunman41mag
Guru | Posts: 1175 | Joined: 01/08
Posted: 05/06/08
11:30 PM

HI msh9475, WELCOME TO DIESEL POWER!!! THE DURAMAX ENGINE & ALLISON TRANNY ARE TO HEAVY FOR THE TAHOE, and YOU ALREADY KNOW IT'S WILL BE A PAIN IN THE RECTUM, TO INSTAL!!! IT WOULD BE CHEAPER & EASIER, JUST TO BUY A 2500 OR 3500 WITH THE DURAMAX/ALLISON COMBO!!! ONLY GIVING YOU MY 2 CENTS WORTH???  
2008 F250 SUPER-CAB 6.4 PSD 2WD 1999 F250 super-cab 7.3 PSD 2WD(sold)
MEMBER- BLOWIN' SMOKE GANG Commerative Heart

msh9475 msh9475
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 05/08
Posted: 05/12/08
06:30 PM

Yes, I really wanted to do just that, but I have a very small garage and a Tahoe will fit but I'd have to have a short bed 2500 and those are very hard to find!  I'll keep looking  in my area.  I might stumble upon one.  Thx for the 2 cents, it was worth much more!  ha.  

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Administrator | Posts: 2112 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 05/13/08
10:47 AM

Yeah, I think you might be getting in over your head trying to swap a 6.6 into a Tahoe. Anything's possible with enough time & money. I've seen it done on Suburbans several times, but they usually start with a 2500, and do a body lift on top of it to clear the Allison.

At the very least, you'd probably have to change out all the suspension & everything for 3/4 ton parts, and do a body-lift on it. Your other option is to take a 3/4 ton Suburban frame, and chop out the 13 or so inches shorter that the Tahoe is, and put the body on top of that.

Regardless, you're looking at a lot of time, money, & labor to do it. If money's not a factor, go for it, but I'd plan on spending at least $20k to do it.  

NaughtyDodge04 NaughtyDodge04
New User | Posts: 16 | Joined: 03/08
Posted: 07/30/08
10:12 AM

Nothing is impossible..ever. keep searching for a break for an engine.there is one out there with your name on it. take some measurments,weight will be a huge factor, but thats what the spring shops for.
if your gonna change most of the drive train anyway, look at alternative engines,who says you cant put a cummins in there? other than length and weight?
I think it would be a cool long term project! one guy took the entire front end frame wise from a 3/4 ton truck and grafted it on to the stock suberban frame, maybe you could find a doner truck?

take the sheet metal down to the frame and start cookin!
at the least if you try... you'll be way ahead of those who WONT try
after all they said man couldnt fly....  

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Administrator | Posts: 2112 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 07/30/08
11:34 AM

My vote's still for taking a 2500 Suburban chassis and chopping a section out of it, and putting a Tahoe body on top of it. Good luck!  Smile