Diesel Power
1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

Smarty = Complete Joke

InspectHerGadget InspectHerGadget
New User | Posts: 18 | Joined: 05/08
Posted: 06/06/08
10:05 PM

hmm i have an 06 5.9 and just put a brand new smarty programmer in my truck and was kinda dissapointed... i mean yea its powerful BUT at slower speeds it shifts TERRIBLE

i have a superchips flashpaq also and eventhou it has very few options compared to the smarty the superchips seemed to produce more power and still shifts perfect.

after making many passes down the 1/4 mile here are my fastest times:

Smarty on lvl 9 and every option on WILD = 14.49
Superchips flashpaq on performance = 14.41

SOin conclusion the superchips was 200 cheaper shifts way more smooth produces less smoke (which i dont like lol) and is overall easier to use... *** a smarty i will be trading mine in for an EDGE with attitude if anyone is interested!!  

brad101985 brad101985
User | Posts: 93 | Joined: 04/08
Posted: 06/08/08
07:37 PM

I am interested in ur smarty box. will it work for an 03. If so email me with pics and how much u want for it. my email is grueny0085@yahoo.com. put the title as smarty box. thanks. brad  
03 Ram 2500, edge juice with attitude and hot unlock code, Smarty, 90 ddp injectors, fass 150, BD air arch, BD super B turbo, ATS manifold, Custom exhaust, K&N intake.

dukeboy_318 dukeboy_318
Guru | Posts: 897 | Joined: 01/07
Posted: 06/09/08
01:49 PM

youre not the first person ive heard say this, several people at the dyno at ORP dhra nationals were saying the same or similar thing, one guy made two runs on the dyno, one without the smarty and one with the smarty turned up to the highest setting, he lost 70 Hp WITH the smarty installed!  
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 24 valve, 5spd with south bend 550hp+ clutch, 150 horse injectors, Fram Boost intake(for now), Edge Juice with attitude, 150 gph fass fuel pump and much more, all together 450 dyno proven HP and 1170 ft lbs.
DPMAG May Ride of the Month

and a quote from Dmax007-  this site is entirely the blind leading the blind. nobody on this site has the balls to stand up to this stupid blowin smoke gang. got news for you, i do.  

Recruiter/member of the Blowing Smoke Gang!

E2theRock2 E2theRock2
Guru | Posts: 1625 | Joined: 01/08
Posted: 06/10/08
05:56 AM

Wow I'm surprised to hear this. I put the Smarty on my 06 5.9 and stacked with the Edge this truck will light the tires at 60mph and its way more impressive than the Bully Dog Pediphile Larry stacked with the Edge..... Man that sucks maybe I'll switch back to the Bully Dog Edge combo i had even tho i had a bad expirence with Bully Dog. My truck started randomly revving (very quickly) to 3500-3800 RPM like i was in neutral driving down the street and i wouldnt even have my foot on the go petal. One of my friends blew up his injectors after installing Bully Dogs Crazy Larry on his truck with 5500 miles on it.  
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 cc/sb all stock H4 package.
2010 Camaro SS E2theRock2

brad101985 brad101985
User | Posts: 93 | Joined: 04/08
Posted: 06/14/08
09:32 PM

Does anyone think that is also has to do with how the truck is set up. like what other mods r done to the truck. i mean i kinda think that sometimes it depends on what direction u go with the truck. cause sometime one programmer or chip may work better and add more power than another just cause of what is done to the truck. i mean like turbo, power curve. were u use the power. how u drive and all that. could i be right or what do u all think of that.  
03 Ram 2500, edge juice with attitude and hot unlock code, Smarty, 90 ddp injectors, fass 150, BD air arch, BD super B turbo, ATS manifold, Custom exhaust, K&N intake.

InspectHerGadget InspectHerGadget
New User | Posts: 18 | Joined: 05/08
Posted: 06/14/08
09:54 PM

and i forgot to meniton the fact that i get 21-23 city mpg with the superchips and 14-16 with the smarty an thats not going by the computer thats actually doin the math at the pump lol

BUT i just took my truck to senior week with the smarty installed just so i could blow smoke on people on the sidewalks  Grin  lmao but ANYWAYS after 2 days i blew my trans completely and had the smarty on 3 the whole time  Confused  the truck wouldnt move

and to answer your question my truck is bone stock... complete work truck that works during the week and plays on the weekends lol

and incase ur wondering i will be puttin a stock trans back in because im only 17 dont quite have the money flow that u guys dolol  

E2theRock2 E2theRock2
Guru | Posts: 1625 | Joined: 01/08
Posted: 06/15/08
07:03 AM

Icon Quotebrad101985:
Does anyone think that is also has to do with how the truck is set up. like what other mods r done to the truck. i mean i kinda think that sometimes it depends on what direction u go with the truck. cause sometime one programmer or chip may work better and add more power than another just cause of what is done to the truck. i mean like turbo, power curve. were u use the power. how u drive and all that. could i be right or what do u all think of that.

I agree with you all the way I think its all about how you set it up. I have had friends that get the Edge Juice because i have it and they end up hating it because they set it up wrong or they pulled it out of the box and plugged it in and did no tinkering with it. You have to mess with them a little but to figure out the best set up because each truck is different.  
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 cc/sb all stock H4 package.
2010 Camaro SS E2theRock2

dukeboy_318 dukeboy_318
Guru | Posts: 897 | Joined: 01/07
Posted: 06/15/08
05:52 PM

true, but i had a superchips program in mine and i hated it, i had it removed, it jus didnt like working with my juice at all.  Im going to save up and get a smarty myself and see how it acts with the edge, most guys having issues with the smarty seem to be running quadzilla or bully dog stuff  
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 24 valve, 5spd with south bend 550hp+ clutch, 150 horse injectors, Fram Boost intake(for now), Edge Juice with attitude, 150 gph fass fuel pump and much more, all together 450 dyno proven HP and 1170 ft lbs.
DPMAG May Ride of the Month

and a quote from Dmax007-  this site is entirely the blind leading the blind. nobody on this site has the balls to stand up to this stupid blowin smoke gang. got news for you, i do.  

Recruiter/member of the Blowing Smoke Gang!

georgia red cummins georgia red cummins
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 02/09
Posted: 02/18/09
03:18 PM

im lookin to get a programmer and i cant decide which one to get Confused ... im lookin for the most power i want to be able to put it to the floor and light em up!!! Grin  i dont care much for blowing smoke i just want the power! i've heard hypertech3 is good and the power pup and smarty. i've got the powerpuck but they dont make the programmer for my year. Confused  help me!!!  
01 2500 cummins 4x4, 5in pipes, k&n air intake, diablo powerpuck  

Cumminalong Cumminalong
New User | Posts: 45 | Joined: 10/08
Posted: 02/18/09
05:20 PM

Stock truck, smarty on 9...........

1 - You don't have a fuel system to support that level. Gaurantee you were draining the fuel rail.

2 - You didn't have a tranny to support it. Gaurantee you were slipping the TC and frying clutch packs on your 1/4 runs

3 - Electronics only get you so far. If you don't have supporting mods, all the electronic wizardy in the world won't get you the best results.

Smarty is a great programmer, BUT you need to understand what you are doing with it.

I'll take you for a ride in my truck and you'll need a diaper before we're through.  
------------------------------------------------------------
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, EFILive tuned by Doghouse Diesel, Garmon Billet Tranny, BW 64 over 80 Compounds, PPE Dual CP3's, 150 GPH Pump, DDP 160HP nozzles, 110# Hamilton Valve Springs, Billet Pushrods, ATS Intercooler, ARP Head, Main and Rocker Studs, S&B Intake Horn, 5" Turbo Back Exhaust, Dipricol EGT, 100 psi Boost, Rail and Fuel Pressure Gauges, a few "Mystery Switch", more...

04powerplant 04powerplant
New User | Posts: 21 | Joined: 02/09
Posted: 02/19/09
10:39 PM

i also had a problem on my 04' with the edge and superchip together... engine surges real bad at highway speeds  

zonecone zonecone
New User | Posts: 45 | Joined: 02/09
Posted: 02/27/09
12:02 AM

see i have a o4 that surges real bad also. it mild tuned with a superchips flashpack s@b intake an 4" turbo back.what gives?  

krause02 krause02
User | Posts: 85 | Joined: 02/09
Posted: 02/27/09
10:04 AM

Wow someone that really understands what he's doing your 100% correct if the damm thing is surging you don't have it set right stacking electronics is crazy and so much has to do with the stock pcm not all trucks are the same you really need to figure out what the truck is doing before you blame it on the programmer.  and make sure you can support the electronics before you install them there is not a stock truck out there that has a fuel system "lift pump"  that can support any mods hell they wont even support a stock motor dodge puts on a small cheap lift pump and it not enough just ask your cummiuns dealer 9 time out 0f 10 a new lift pump will fix most of your problems  

zonecone zonecone
New User | Posts: 45 | Joined: 02/09
Posted: 03/08/09
04:50 PM

well what about when u install a new liftpump and it does the same thing still but at a different mph. what gives.  

krause02 krause02
User | Posts: 85 | Joined: 02/09
Posted: 03/09/09
06:33 PM

what lift pump did you install does it surge with the programmer in it. Tell me more about the truck and the mods you have done to it auto or manual.  

1 |  2 |  Next   | Last