Diesel Power
1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

3.0 CRD Grand Cherokee

SNAFU77 SNAFU77
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 06/08
Posted: 06/20/08
11:13 AM

I just recently got the wife an 08 GC CRD. There is pretty much nothing for htis out right now for performance products...WTF? The only thing I saw was a 4 inch DPF back exhaust. Eurpoe has had this engine for a while correct? They have to have a programmer or intake system.
I've been waiting for updates to the Cherokee from Diesel power, tires are nice but universal, I want to see some go fast toys that are specifically made for the 3.0/GC.
 Tongue  

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Administrator | Posts: 2112 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 06/20/08
01:57 PM

I found a company, Tuning Box out of Belgium that makes a tuner for the GC CRD. I don't know how compatible it is with the American model, but it's worth a look.

I found another company out of Holland called Zip Tuning that offers an upgrade for the Jeep. Hope this helps.  

conteracing conteracing
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 03/08
Posted: 07/05/08
02:21 AM

I to was looking for a tuner, air box, and exhaust. I found the tuner with 3 settings, 1st is stock, 2nd is 50Hp., and 3rd is 75Hp. From a performance shop in the UK. The gentleman is have been E-mailing back and forth said the 3.0L Mercedes Diesel has been in the Jeep for 5 or 6 years, and he has been selling his tuner all this time. He guarantees his tuner for life! Here is his link  http://www.tuningstyling.co.uk/tuning/jeep/tuningstyling490.htm
 you might have to back up and search the jeep again, sometimes it sends my to other makes tuner boxes. Then I also saw that MBRP came out with a Diesel Particulate Filter Back Exhaust. Cool  

ctate ctate
New User | Posts: 11 | Joined: 05/08
Posted: 07/05/08
03:17 PM

Where did you find a 4in exhaust? Anyway, I have found the ultimate when it comes to tuning boxes from the UK. Its called the Spider. Go to Dieseltuning.co.uk. Mine is in the mail now. It has more power and advancement than any other I have seen. MBRP just came out with a 3in exhaust as well. Any luck with intakes?  

Posted: 07/07/08
10:44 AM

ctate, let us know how that box works for you!  Smile  

rocketron rocketron
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/08
Posted: 07/26/08
04:36 PM

Hi,
I have a TDC CR Plus powerbox and can tell a difference but not much and I am not very happy with it.  I am really interested in finding out much more about the Spider that you have purchased.  Mine just plugs into the fuel rail.  I hope the Spider plugs into more things or different places so it does more than the CR Plus does.  Do you know if it remaps the ECU? Or does it work inside the set parameters already in the ECU like the CR Plus does?  How much did it cost in US $$?  I ordered a 3" MBRP filter back.  It came yesterday.  I was somewhat dissapointed in the sense that it is in 3 pieces to put together with exhaust clamps.  It was pictured as a one piece pipe.  Guess it is alright,, just not what I expected.  I have an 08 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0L.  

narrowass narrowass
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 08/08
Posted: 08/22/08
11:03 AM

I also have GC 2008, I installed the Diesel Power tuner box.Made a big difference It has 7 programs, A-G
I find c to be the best setting, any higher it over temps and cuts out.
Has anyone fitted a blowoff valve.
Also there seems to be an issue with the oil feed to the tubine bearing. It develops a leak and starves the bearing of oil. It shows up as a fine mist under the hood right above the turbo, looks to come from the intake pipe. But actually from the seal on the turbo housing.  

11:15 AM

I don't think a blowoff valve would make much of a difference or much noise on a diesel, since they have "open" intakes (i.e. no throttle butterfly) and don't build up pressure between the turbo and throttle butterfly.  

narrowass narrowass
12:18 PM

Thanks for the input  

4x4fantasy.com 4x4fantasy.com
New User | Posts: 30 | Joined: 07/08
09:07 PM

I carry exhaust systems for the Jeep diesels.  Priced fairly cheap too with free shipping.  

maddmechanic maddmechanic
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 08/08
Posted: 08/27/08
11:47 PM

Icon Quoterocketron:
Hi,
I have a TDC CR Plus powerbox and can tell a difference but not much and I am not very happy with it.  I am really interested in finding out much more about the Spider that you have purchased.  Mine just plugs into the fuel rail.  I hope the Spider plugs into more things or different places so it does more than the CR Plus does.  Do you know if it remaps the ECU? Or does it work inside the set parameters already in the ECU like the CR Plus does?  How much did it cost in US $$?  I ordered a 3" MBRP filter back.  It came yesterday.  I was somewhat dissapointed in the sense that it is in 3 pieces to put together with exhaust clamps.  It was pictured as a one piece pipe.  Guess it is alright,, just not what I expected.  I have an 08 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0L.

I too have a TDC CR Plus box in my 2006 2.8 CRD Liberty, and quite frankly, it sucks.  However, it does make a HUGE difference in power, but you can't get the power unless you remove the three foot long muffler first.  With the box, and stock exhaust, the turbo can't spool fast enough at any box setting to make much difference, but with the muffler removed (2.5" straight pipe added), there can be a huge power increase.  Also, there is very little noise increase outside the vehicle, and practically none inside, it is diesel afterall.

That being said, I've had the box installed for about a year now, and regardless of the setting on the dial of the TDC CR Plus box, it always sets code P0093 'Fuel System Leak.  Major Leak Detected' (per the scanner), or "FUEL RAIL PRESSURE MALFUNCTION POSITIVE PRESSURE DEVIATION." (per Chrysler).  Either way, the module increased pressure to the rail, but does nothing to adjust the setpoint of the fuel quantity solenoid or it's reading.  Once code P0093 is set, the fuel flow is shut off, and if you're lucky you can coast to the shoulder without causing a pile up on the highway, put it in park, turn it off, turn it back on, and keep driving in 'limp home' mode.  But, limp home mode will barely get you where you're going if you need to merge, or are pulling a trailer.  You need a scantool to clear the code until the next time the CR plus box sets the code again.  I have an email into them asking them to advise me, especially since it sets the code in EVERY dial position.

Whatever box you install, remember, that huge OEM muffler is nothing but a cork to prevent the turbo from spooling, and you might not notice much gain until you remove it.  Mufflers do far less on diesel engines than they do on gasoline engines, and with the converter in place, there is virtually no noise difference in the 2.8 CRD liberty once that cork is swapped for a straight 2.5" pipe.

(PS- I had a 2007 3.0 CRD Grand Cherokee too, but Chrysler was 'kind' enough to refund my money, since I had it for one week, and they had it for 4 months.  I'm working with a UK dealer now to get a LHD 2.8 CRD, 6 speed Wrangler Unlimited, since they're not available here.)

I just joined and have some searching to do, but if anyone found a way to adjust, or fool the fuel quantity solenoid on the 2.8 CRD, I'd love to know about it, otherwise, P0093, P0093.....  
2006 KJ, 2.8 CRD
-------------------
1984 K5 Blazer, 6.2 Detroit Diesel
-------------------
2007 WK, 3.0 CRD (bought back by Chrysler)

ctate ctate
Posted: 09/07/08
12:43 AM

Hey guys, sorry it has taken me so long to reply but that spider is awsome. The power is very noticable. Its very clean compared to the Digi Cr i had on before. I think the Digi clogged my DPF bad causing decreased performance and milage. The spider does not seem to clog the filter. I also go that MBRP exhaust on. Again, noticable power but is not the same gain as a turbo back exhaust system

Have you guys heard of the DPF deletes yet. Theres a company called Badptrucks who make them. Im talking to them now about deleting the stupid DPF. The delete is for off road use only...of courseWinkBy taking the DPF off, the big 3 have gained 5-10 hp and 85ft lbs of torque!!! not to mention a huge mpg gain.  

ctate ctate
Posted: 09/07/08
12:49 AM

Rocketron. Type in the Spider diesel tunng in google and that will take you to thier site. It will explain how it works with the ECU. The box was like 900 us dollers. I cant wait to get that DPF off so I can see its true power.  

narrowass narrowass
Posted: 09/25/08
09:17 AM

What issues do you have with your 3.0 crd. I have an oil leak around the turbo, this is the 2nd turbo replaced under warranty, they have no idea were it comes from  

ctate ctate
Posted: 09/26/08
03:40 PM

I havent had any issues with my turbo. There has been a small amount of oil round the turbo but I thought that was normal. No other issues except the windows did work but it was fixed. My main issue is the stupid DPF.  

1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last