Diesel Power
1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

98 Ranger Cummins 4bt Swap

JBeck JBeck
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 06/08
Posted: 06/25/08
12:28 PM

I recently ruined the engine in my 98 ranger.  Got water in a cylinder now it sounds like I have a blacksmith's shop in the engine with all the hammering.  The current engine is a 3.0 ford Vulcan v6.  

For quite some time I've tossed the idea of putting a 4 cyl cummins engine in it.  My plan however was to be put off until I'm out of college(2 years).  

Now, I'm really thinking about it.  There are a couple factors holding me back.  First my dad, I know he'll think it's an absurd idea.  Secondly the drivetrain/electronics.  Mounting the motor shouldn't be much of a problem.  Finding a trans mission to go behind it will (I think)  The pickup currently has a manual trans if that would help at all.  Also, I don't know what I'd do with all the electronics currently in the truck.  I don't think I'd need them if the engine didn't need any.  

Sorry for the long post, I just need some guidance.  

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Administrator | Posts: 2112 | Joined: 07/06
12:35 PM

You'd almost have to do stand-alone engine management. I think most if not all 4BTs are mechanical. But you'd have to figure out how to get the speedo and tach to work.

Also, the 4BT is a heavy bruiser. MUCH heavier than the 3.0 Vulcan. You'd probably have to get some heavy-duty springs & shocks in the front. It's doable, though. Just depends on how much time & money you're willing to put into it.  

JBeck JBeck
12:42 PM

The instrument cluster was my main concern on electronics, I never thought of the weight issue.  Perhaps I should wait till the money flows better...  

Woody35 Woody35
New User | Posts: 42 | Joined: 03/07
12:46 PM

yeah your factory gauges would not work so you would either get gauges that are the same size as those in the factory holes or the speedo and tach would have to be mounted some where else. Cummins 4BT are all mechanical. now you will probably have to get some schematics of your wiring system and take out all the stuff you need and keep all the stuff you want like A/C ,Radio, Lights, ETC
you would probably have to move drive train back because the only manuael trans that fit a Cummins is a ZF 5 speed and ZF 6 Speed and the engine is very long. also need new axle because that factory cant take cummins torque. also nned custom driveshaft.

cost

Engine: 2500-5000 dollars
Transmission: 1000-2500 dollars
Axle:1000-2500
Drive shaft i dont know. plus any wiring and custom parts to fit so your lookin like maybe 12 to 13 grand  
1938 Allis Chalmers model B tractor MODS: Straight Pipe,side step

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Administrator | Posts: 2112 | Joined: 07/06
02:38 PM

In terms of the gauges, I'd probably looking at getting a custom bezel made, and popping in some AutoMeter gauges in that don't rely on an ECU signal to work. A lot of engine swaps I've seen where the electronics weren't otherwise compatible simply swapped out the factory gauge cluster for aftermarket units. It may not be as "slick" as using the factory gauges, but probably a lot easier in the long run.  

nmlakerat nmlakerat
Enthusiast | Posts: 372 | Joined: 01/08
02:51 PM

another thing is your ranger 2 wheel drive or 4? the oil pan on the 4 bt hangs way low. most swaps are done with 4 wheel drives so they can be lifted to clear the pan. a custom pan would be $$$ bank anyway unless your a great welder just food for thought.  
member-Blowin' Smoke Gang
board of directors

JBeck JBeck
03:49 PM

Truck is a 4x4.  This thread was more or less a learning experience, for future reference and to just get an idea.  Right now I'm 18 years old, laid off for the time being as the shop I work in is under water, and I'm starting College in August.  This project isn't really feasible for me at the time.  

I really appreciate you guys helping me understand what would be needed.  It's hard to get help on this issue where I live as there aren't many big shops and most people laugh at the idea.  

nmlakerat nmlakerat
Enthusiast | Posts: 372 | Joined: 01/08
Posted: 06/26/08
08:55 AM

if you look on youtube there is a ranger with a 4bt in it. im sure it took alot of work but the end result would be really cool. just start looking at motors and parts and get what you can afford when you can and it will all come together in time. Good luck. trust me never has a project been done when expected or wanted. patience is a good thing and give you time to learn as much before you dive in.  
member-Blowin' Smoke Gang
board of directors

Woody35 Woody35
New User | Posts: 42 | Joined: 03/07
Posted: 06/26/08
10:49 AM

by the way i didnt say the custom driveshaft was going to be 12 to 13 grand i meant that to be the cost of the whole project. but thats just a guess without looking at parts on the market now and your truck its a ballpark estimate. probably be a lot more if you have someone else do the work  
1938 Allis Chalmers model B tractor MODS: Straight Pipe,side step

landonrydell landonrydell
New User | Posts: 7 | Joined: 08/08
Posted: 08/16/08
07:24 AM

to trick the computer you need:

crank sensor reading
cam sensor reading
speed sensor reading
throtle reading (tps)
manifond presure sensor (map)

being since it is manual you wont need (tps) or (map)
(the map sensor can not be used on the diesel)
this sensor is not real important some (ecm's) may need some kind of reading to make, posibly the tranny  shift better, and the engine light, ha ha who cares about that thing being on or not, right....

i just did a durango swap. i used a ford (cam) sensor off a 3.8 gasser. had a adapter machined. it is driven off of the front of the injector pump.  to use the stock guages is the cheapest way, but it might be a bigger headache.  my durango is all fuctional stock   tach-speedo-oil-temp-alt-gas. everything works like it should, exept the auto tranny, had to put a switch for overdrive and torqe convertor lockup. also had more grooves cut into the front pully (it is one from a first gen cummins)  

TheDieselDr. TheDieselDr.
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 08/08
Posted: 08/21/08
01:27 PM

It would be cheaper to go and buy a whole ,Grumman chip truck with the 4bt in it, transmission is there,Guages,wires and everything else... I'm currently doing a '91 Dakota excab 4bt swap, the little Cummins has a Chevrolet bellhousing pattern so I finally get to use my 5spd that came out of my 91 Chevy p/u when I put a LT-1 and a T-56 6spd in it "my lightning killer".. I found a chip van in Houston 4bt with a TH400 trans for 4,000 dollars....  

landonrydell landonrydell
New User | Posts: 7 | Joined: 08/08
Posted: 08/21/08
07:55 PM

i did a dakota conversion last year. i used a first gen dodge auto-overdrive the computer went into some kind of fail safe mode and shifts the tranny into overdrive at 35 mph no matter what. so under a load i have to watch it. i could fix this problem but i would have to put a tps and crank sensor on it. i have no problem with it the way it is.  the exuast is pretty tight on the dakota, but it cleares.

you may have to buy or make a flywheel for that standard you want to use. you wont be able to use a dodge flywheel with the chevy adapter. i know a guy who has a manual flywheel, out of a grumman van. it used a ford bell housing and tranny but the flywheel should be the one you would need for the tranny you intend to use. but he probably wont sell it. but i could get the part# for you if you need it. later.  

2001.SCOTT 2001.SCOTT
Enthusiast | Posts: 464 | Joined: 12/07
Posted: 08/23/08
06:02 AM

diesel power mag just did a story on a kid that had the same setup i would get that story and build on that good luck with your project you will have all the ranger guys wanting your truck  
2001 dodge with 5in exhaust k@n intake with edge comp box,2in leveling, added holley blue lift pump kit member-"Blowing Smoke Gang" Ranchhand bumbers

Dieseldude03 Dieseldude03
Enthusiast | Posts: 357 | Joined: 01/07
Posted: 08/23/08
06:22 AM

Check this out. After watching this, any of those little problems shouldn't matter!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkGm79C-mmY  
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4. H.O. Cummins, 6spd manual trans, 4.10 gearing. Intake, Exhaust, Hot Juice, HTT HTB2 62/12/65, Jake Brake, 305-65R17 (33 x 12.50) Pro-Comp Extreme All Terrains, SBC Con O FE, Fuel Tank Vent Mod,  Various other gizmos.

I-6 Cummins guys are keepin' it straight. Those other boys swing both ways.

C-BRIZ C-BRIZ
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 06/09
Posted: 06/29/09
09:59 PM

I have a 1985 ford ranger with the 2.8 v6 5spd and I am looking to get a 4bt for it so if you or any one you know has helpful info that I coul use that would be grate

my main factor is getting a tranny to fit and then what about the front and rear end will it hold up to the 4bt power?  

1 |  2 |  Next   | Last