02 cummins DEAD PEDAL!

Diesel Power
Item Posts    Sort Order

02 cummins DEAD PEDAL!

CATman23 CATman23
New User | Posts: 27 | Joined: 07/07
Posted: 06/30/08
06:47 PM

I got a 2002 dodge cummins with an automatic tranny and 64,000 miles, and sometimes when it sits overnight the truck will sometimes have no power, it will still go forward but even with putting the pedal to the floor it wont go till i stop then it goes just fine. Any ideas? or help? thanks  

BCRAM BCRAM
Enthusiast | Posts: 672 | Joined: 11/06
Posted: 07/01/08
12:40 AM

Have you checked for codes? Turn key on and off 3 times and on the 3rd time leave it on ( do not start it) and read the codes that show up in the odometer window. It could be as simple as dirty IAT, or a bad APPS, or code p1693 the dreaded VP-44 death march. If you get a p1693(P1693 is a companion code to alert you to a diagnostic trouble code in the ecm/pcm.) you need to get a OBII reader to tell you exactly what your trouble is...but most times if you have dead pedal and throw a p1693 it will show a po216 and that is a dead VP-44 injection pump. You can sometimes recalibrate your APPS (accelerator positioning sensor)
ECM Calibration: (Copied from the Dodge FSM)Turn key to ON position. Without starting engine, slowly press throttle pedal to floor and then slowly release. This step must be done (one time) to ensure accelerator pedal position sensor calibration has been learned by ECM. If not done, possible DTC’s may be set.
You can clean the IAT (intake air temp) but the 44 is a replace, it's expensive, around $1000-1200 but you can re-re it your self if your heads up mechanically. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? If not you should and if your still running a stock lift pump your just asking for trouble!  
2002 Dodge Ram 6 SPD Fass pump, afe cold air, mbrp 4" ss exhaust, 275hp RV injectors, edge ez, isspro gauges, South Bend clutch, track bar updated to 03-07 style, dss steering stabilizer system, 285 Cooper Discover

"If it doesn't have tit's a trigger or a throttle I'm pretty much not interested!"

nmlakerat nmlakerat
Enthusiast | Posts: 372 | Joined: 01/08
09:45 AM

sounds like the apps to me my old 99 i had did the same  
member-Blowin' Smoke Gang
board of directors

dukeboy_318 dukeboy_318
Guru | Posts: 897 | Joined: 01/07
04:28 PM

im betting on the APPS, my 98.5 had the exact same thing happen to it at only 35k so id rest it or have it checked out  
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 24 valve, 5spd with south bend 550hp+ clutch, 150 horse injectors, Fram Boost intake(for now), Edge Juice with attitude, 150 gph fass fuel pump and much more, all together 450 dyno proven HP and 1170 ft lbs.
DPMAG May Ride of the Month

and a quote from Dmax007-  this site is entirely the blind leading the blind. nobody on this site has the balls to stand up to this stupid blowin smoke gang. got news for you, i do.  

Recruiter/member of the Blowing Smoke Gang!

JoshJones02 JoshJones02
New User | Posts: 27 | Joined: 06/08
Posted: 07/02/08
01:34 AM

I agree and would bet it's probably your injection pump as well. The shop I work for has a 2000 3/4 dodge w/ a cummins and it's had 7 pumps on it since oct of 2000. What you're describing sounds like the same thing ours did then. Does yours (sometimes) accelerate like normal after holding the throttle down for a few seconds? When ours went out last time, I could be driving just fine down the road and try to pass somebody then have it do the slow acceleration thing then too. It wasn't just at start up. It also didn't matter whether the motor was warmed up or cold, more often than not, it'd do it mainly when we needed the acceleration.

If you take it to a shop for a rebuild or have a new one put on, it could run up to or around $2500 depending on how their rates are. A good (diesel) shop will probably charge an easy $75-$100/hr with a minimun charged time of about 1 or 2 hrs. If it's something you think you'd be capable of doing yourself, I'd suggest looking for a repair book showing step-by-step how. If you're lucky, a dealership or shop in general may not mind helping you out with pointers and tips or let you look at or even printout the procedures for how it's done.  
2000 XJ - stock for now
1997 Dodge Ram Clubcab 4x4 360 - unfortanately, also stock...
(anybody have a 5 or 6spd manual trans they'd sell for either?)

CATman23 CATman23
Posted: 07/02/08
02:45 PM

JoshJones02 it kind of does what your describing, but when it does it on the freeway you'll press the pedal and have no throttle but if you floor it for 1 second it goes back to normal did that ever happen to you? And thank you everybody on your comments i will try everything  

JoshJones02 JoshJones02
New User | Posts: 27 | Joined: 06/08
Posted: 07/03/08
01:29 AM

Yeah, it did exactly what you just described. It sounds like it may be time for an injection pump (sorry). We put one on our truck, and the problem went away. We drove it with those problems for a month or 2 before we got approval for the repairs (like i said, it was expensive), but it held up. When we had it done, they put a transfer pump AND the injection pump on it. The local dodge dealership charged us (keep in mind fleet accounting and pricing) a little over $2800 for both. The transfer pump was $500 and the injection pump was around $2300. Both of those figures were parts AND their labor. If your wanting to check either, you'll want to get a fuel pressure tester and check with either some guys in your local shop for some specs on it, or check the manual with the tester for some numbers there too. A haynes book or whatever your preference in repair books may be, should give some numbers as well.

Goods luck with it.  
2000 XJ - stock for now
1997 Dodge Ram Clubcab 4x4 360 - unfortanately, also stock...
(anybody have a 5 or 6spd manual trans they'd sell for either?)

BCRAM BCRAM
Enthusiast | Posts: 672 | Joined: 11/06
Posted: 07/04/08
11:21 PM

JoshJones02 if you paid $500 for a stock Carter lift pump, you just wasted your money. Sorry but it's true, and you WILL be putting another VP-44 in your truck. These pumps were not designed to operate the way Dodge had used them. Buy a fuel presser gauge(don't do the idiot light thing...there for idiots) it's money in the bank. Fuel pressure as follows:
Idle – 10 to 14 psi
Cruising – 8 to 12 psi
Pulling a hill with trailer – 8 to 9 psi
A lot of guys don't want to see less than 14psi at WOT. You only have to run it at low pressure once and it's damaged.

Catman23 did you get a code? If you do need to do the Vp-44 make sure you get a fuel pressure gauge and a performance lift pump such as a FASS. Do this even if you truck is stock!!! Also if you want to do the pump yourself let me know and I'll send you a great video that walks you through the whole thing. I did mine a few months ago and there is nothing to it as long as you have a good set of tools. It cost me $1050 and took about 2-3 hours. And just in case you were wondering...No! you can't rebuild your old pump.  
2002 Dodge Ram 6 SPD Fass pump, afe cold air, mbrp 4" ss exhaust, 275hp RV injectors, edge ez, isspro gauges, South Bend clutch, track bar updated to 03-07 style, dss steering stabilizer system, 285 Cooper Discover

"If it doesn't have tit's a trigger or a throttle I'm pretty much not interested!"

CATman23 CATman23
Posted: 07/07/08
05:00 PM

Yes guys it was the injection pump i checked the codes and it was the dead pump code so i took it down to dodge and they put one on and a new lift pump but now i want to get a fuel pressure gauge. Any ideas where I can get a GOOD one? Thanks again