7.3 Intake tube leak

Diesel Power
Item Posts    Sort Order

7.3 Intake tube leak

pit523 pit523
New User | Posts: 12 | Joined: 07/08
Posted: 07/17/08
10:52 AM

I have been noticing an extra howling sound from under the hood recently. It sounds like the exhaust blower that kicks on when the truck is idling. Last night I lost most of the power while climbing hills. The engine was sputtering. I took it to a mechanic. He informed me that the tubes that feed the turbo are leaking at the flaired flanges and that a new set of tubes will need to be installed. He said the motor is sucking in cold air and the sensor does not know what to do with it. This will result in a loss of up to 90 percent of the power. The repair will involve removing the transmission.
The question I asked him was " since it is an air leak, is there a patch?" No easy fix available was the response.
My questions are:
Is there an easy fix?
Is this a common problem?
What is a fair cost to repair this?  

leenertsfarms leenertsfarms
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 07/08
Posted: 07/20/08
03:18 PM

I don't think its a leak. My 7.3 did this to what is happened is the cold weather warm up valve on the back side of your turbo is messed up for lack of a better term. All you have to do to fix this is unplug the wires on the base of the turbo. They are on the front side of it and have a little metal clip that holds the plug on. I would try this before anything else.  

pit523 pit523
Posted: 07/21/08
06:46 PM

Thanks, I will check it and let you know what I find.  

pit523 pit523
Posted: 08/09/08
02:13 PM

Ok, here's the latest. First, I posted this topic in the wrong forum because the truck is a 2001 with turbo. Sorry about that. I described the original problem wrong. The leak was in the exhaust tube from the turbo fan that goes down behind the motor. I took it to another mechanic after being warned about the local dealership by a friend. The other mechanic had me change the fuel filter.
I guess driving on the winding bumpy road, swirled the
sediments in the tank and caused the filter to plug.
This corrected the problem and saved me from doing the $1019.00 repair recommended by the dealer.