Truck losing power and blowing black smoke

Diesel Power
Item Posts    Sort Order

Truck losing power and blowing black smoke

tkinster tkinster
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 08/08
Posted: 08/26/08
05:38 AM

Here is the situation. 2005 Duramax We were driving down the road the other day and hear something pop, thinking we ran over a rock or something in the road, then truck starts missing and blows black smoke when driving along. It does fine when idleing-not the first miss or anything. Truck does whistle when rpm gets between 2100-2300. We replaced the air filter thought that might help. Then took it to a local parts place they ran a code check and told us the Mass Air flow sensor was bad. Went ahead and took to GM dealer where we bought the truck for them to put it on a computer and tell us what was wrong with it. They came back and said it was a bad Mass Air Flow sensor and needed a fuel filter. We have now changed both of these but the truck is still doing the same thing. Any Suggestions from anyone????  

Dieseldude03 Dieseldude03
Enthusiast | Posts: 357 | Joined: 01/07
11:26 AM

The black smoke says you aren't getting enough air. The "pop" tells me you may have blown off or blown up a boost hose (been there, done that).
Starting at the turbo outlet, then both sides of the intercooler, to the engine check all the boost hoses for busted clamps or holes in the hoses. You may have to remove them to see the entire hose. Also check to make sure theres no holes in the intercooler itself. Some manufacturers use plastic for the end tanks that can pop.  
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4. H.O. Cummins, 6spd manual trans, 4.10 gearing. Intake, Exhaust, Hot Juice, HTT HTB2 62/12/65, Jake Brake, 305-65R17 (33 x 12.50) Pro-Comp Extreme All Terrains, SBC Con O FE, Fuel Tank Vent Mod,  Various other gizmos.

I-6 Cummins guys are keepin' it straight. Those other boys swing both ways.

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Administrator | Posts: 2112 | Joined: 07/06
04:05 PM

Do you have a boost gauge on it? If you're not getting any boost, then you probably have a hose or fitting loose.  

tkinster tkinster
Posted: 08/27/08
07:05 AM

Icon Quoteesanchez:
Do you have a boost gauge on it? If you're not getting any boost, then you probably have a hose or fitting loose.

No, there is no boost gauge on it.  

Richies Truck and Auto Richies Truck and Auto
Enthusiast | Posts: 362 | Joined: 05/08
Posted: 08/31/08
07:41 PM

Dieseldude is right on the money. You definitley have a boost leak somewhere. You should be getting a map sensor code though??? I guess the leak isn't large enough? Check the charge air cooler pipes and the boots, check the egr mating surfaces and the valve by the egr cooler, and check the intercooler. The lly should have aluminum end tanks on the cooler, so the structure would have to be damaged or cracked. Chances are you just blew a boot off. With the closed pcv systems, theses dmaxes get oil in the charge air piping and cooler. This oil works its way into the boots and like penetrating fluid, it brakes the seal and the boot slips off. The LLY has 4 boots, 2 on each pipe.  
Rich
05 GMC 3500HD CC/LB LLY
Fully built!
06 GMC 2500HD CC/SB LBZ:
Being built....
2011 3500HD H&S...
2013 Denali 3500HD H&S....

Mountain_9 Mountain_9
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 09/08
Posted: 09/01/08
02:47 AM

Our 2008 3500 truck is in the shop. It's been towed 3 times in 10 days with different problems. I sent the following message to Dodge and wanted other folks to know what happened to my family on Friday.

Message sent to Dedge.com

When we picked up our truck from the Lithia Dealership on August 25, the Catalytic warning starting acting up. A independent mechanic contacted the Medford Dodge dealership who stated it would not cause the car to disable and to run it at high speed for 45 min. I also called to verify that and was told the truck would not disable. The Dodge manual also states this. But on Aug 29, my husband and daughter were almost killed when the truck shut itself off and my Husband lost power steering and brakes going around a curve at HWY speed with no warning whatsoever. The sheriff came out to help my family afterward. This should not have happened. The GM here at Lithia stated the particulate filter became clogged, but no one can see our truck for more than a week or more because of only having 1 diesel mechanic. We now again a second time have to use a rental vehicle that we have to pay for. Dodge needs to know about this issue. We were never told the electrical in our truck had to be "reflashed" to account for this problem---although we've been at 2 different dealerships for scheduled maintenance. Before all this happened we had a "check engine" light on for weeks and had an appt with the Medford Dealership on Sept 3 to have it fixed, before our truck gave out) I need a quick response from Dodge because we are without a vehicle and want to know why this information is not being sent to consumers as a potential threat to safety.  

tkinster tkinster
Posted: 09/04/08
05:26 AM

We have checked the boots we found that one has a small tear on the outside of it but it does not go through to the inside of boot.  Would that be enough of a tear to cause the problem?  

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Administrator | Posts: 2112 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 09/04/08
04:01 PM

Icon Quotetkinster:
We have checked the boots we found that one has a small tear on the outside of it but it does not go through to the inside of boot.  Would that be enough of a tear to cause the problem?

Remember that when you're running 20+ psi of boost through the piping, any fittings or boots are going to want to "balloon" even silicone, to a certain extent. So if the engine is off, or idling, it may not seem like a big deal.

If you want to get really nerdy about it, you could get a lipstick camera, point it at the boot with the tear in it, and run the wire back to the cab with a monitor, and see if the boot swells up or slips under load and heavy throttle. Not saying you have to do that, but just a thought if you want to really narrow it down.

The other option is to strap it down to a dyno and keep an eye on the intercooler boots, as this will simulate the load on the engine you'd get if you were driving it on the road.