02 duramax complaints/troubles

Diesel Power
Item Posts    Sort Order

02 duramax complaints/troubles

jonionthespot jonionthespot
New User | Posts: 10 | Joined: 07/08
Posted: 08/24/08
11:31 AM

I'm thinking of getting an 02 Gmc with the Duramax. Truck has 107k miles, auto, 4x4, crew cab. I'm looking for feedback on troubles, problems, overheating etc concerning that year. I've talked to some people and got quite a wide range of opinions but nothing worth using. I "heard" the early years had trouble with overheating when pulling, others say don't get an 05, 06 is the only good year. If I werre to get this truck what are some things I should do/upgrade etc. I plan on pulling a 6k lb boat up and down steep mountain grades (Phoenix, Flagstaff area) which can range from 1600' to 8000' elevation. I've seen info on Juice and Bullydog.
Thanks for feedback!!!!!!!!  

4x4fantasy.com 4x4fantasy.com
New User | Posts: 30 | Joined: 07/08
04:23 PM

An 02 is the LB7 version of the duramax.  Sure some early models had overheating issues but those are easily fixed.  Most choose an 06 because its the LBZ version and was the most powerful version before the emission ridden LMM came out.  The LB7 was the most fuel efficient of the duramax's.  I would suggest an Edge Juice with Attitude, as well as gauges and a 4" turboback exhaust system.  I am running a killer special on all of the items I mentioned.  Also, for the most information you will ever find anywhere, visit www.duramaxforum.com and tell em 4x4fantasy sent ya!  They are the MOST knowledgeable dmax owners you will ever find.  

gunman41mag gunman41mag
Guru | Posts: 1175 | Joined: 01/08
05:50 PM

The problems you will have with the early DURAMAX are the injectors, they say CHEVY will give WARRENTY for the injectors till 200,000 miles, BUT TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE CALL GM AND MAKE SURE !!!!!!!!!!  
2008 F250 SUPER-CAB 6.4 PSD 2WD 1999 F250 super-cab 7.3 PSD 2WD(sold)
MEMBER- BLOWIN' SMOKE GANG Commerative Heart

2001.SCOTT 2001.SCOTT
Enthusiast | Posts: 464 | Joined: 12/07
06:29 PM

gm will warranty the injectors i know a guy at work they have put injectors in his 01 twice, there are alot of poeple still running the factory injectors with alot more miles though. It sound like the truck was taking care of with not many miles on it just remember diesels are going real cheap now make sure you dont over pay  
2001 dodge with 5in exhaust k@n intake with edge comp box,2in leveling, added holley blue lift pump kit member-"Blowing Smoke Gang" Ranchhand bumbers

backwoodsboy916 backwoodsboy916
Enthusiast | Posts: 260 | Joined: 10/06
09:32 PM

The GM dealer here will warranty the injectors, but you're gonna become very fimiliar with the dealership. My fiancees da(and my boss)has 3 duramax's, and one of them has had the injectors replaced at least once a year for the last 3 years. Dont know what year it is, t has the angled headlights, maybe an 06 or so. Anyway, the owner of the dealership appologized and said he would like to do more but GM had his hands behind his back. He told us they(GM) knew of the problem and wont do anything about it but give you the same shitty injectors. This truck has over 200,000 miles on it, but they are all highway mile, in fact this truck only gets used for business trips, i dont even think the bumper hitch has ever been used. That truck also had some problem with the fuel system, it gave him all kinds of problems from day one, and the dealer once again apologized and put an aftermarket fuel system on there, FASS maybe, i dont know, now it has a big filter in the rear fenderwell. He has three duramax's and two fords. The D'max isnt a bad truck, not my personal choice, id bever own one, but to each his own, right. One of the trucks has only had one real problem, it goes thru rear axle seals like a fat kid thru candy. my fiancees granddad had alzhiemers and he filled it up with gas and drove it till it quit, and after they fixed it, not one problem. Their other one tows about 12 to 14 thousand pounds almost every week of the year from North GA to NC, and it has always run good but goes thru rear axle seals like crazy, too. Other than that they are good trucks, definitely ride better than my dodges and their fords.  
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 4 Door 4Wd Longbed 6SPD manual, Silverline 4 inch exhaust,ATS Performance Exhaust Manifold, K&N Intake,CFM Intake Manifold, Edge Juice w/Attitude, Recon Smoked Roof and Fender Lights, 285/70/17 Firestone M/Ts,  MUCH MUCH MORE to come, one day...when im not so BROKE.....

Member: Blowin Smoke Gang

jonionthespot jonionthespot
New User | Posts: 10 | Joined: 07/08
Posted: 08/25/08
06:29 AM

O.K. it seems the common problem here are the injectors. It seems that the dealer even has trouble getting it right. Would instaling aftermarket injectors when the time comes be a better alternative? I know I'm going to spend about a grand for doing so, but now the problem has been solved the first time and I now have better performance at the same time. Does replacing with aftermarket injectors solve the problem?  

Dieseldude03 Dieseldude03
Enthusiast | Posts: 357 | Joined: 01/07
Posted: 08/25/08
06:56 AM

If it were me, I'd definitely go with aftermarket injectors. More power and usually better mileage, so long as you don't go too big. It certainly won't be free like the GM warranty injectors, but the way I understand it, those "free" replacement injectors the dealership will put in are just refurbished ones that took a dump in somebody else's truck.  
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4. H.O. Cummins, 6spd manual trans, 4.10 gearing. Intake, Exhaust, Hot Juice, HTT HTB2 62/12/65, Jake Brake, 305-65R17 (33 x 12.50) Pro-Comp Extreme All Terrains, SBC Con O FE, Fuel Tank Vent Mod,  Various other gizmos.

I-6 Cummins guys are keepin' it straight. Those other boys swing both ways.

BCRAM BCRAM
Enthusiast | Posts: 672 | Joined: 11/06
Posted: 08/26/08
09:10 PM

Icon Quotejonionthespot:
O.K. it seems the common problem here are the injectors. It seems that the dealer even has trouble getting it right. Would instaling aftermarket injectors when the time comes be a better alternative? I know I'm going to spend about a grand for doing so, but now the problem has been solved the first time and I now have better performance at the same time. Does replacing with aftermarket injectors solve the problem?

You know your going to have to spend a grand or so????....a grand!!! for 8 injectors! If you can find D-max performance injector for $125 each, you need to share your source...lol. There is a set on e-bay for $3,800.00  
2002 Dodge Ram 6 SPD Fass pump, afe cold air, mbrp 4" ss exhaust, 275hp RV injectors, edge ez, isspro gauges, South Bend clutch, track bar updated to 03-07 style, dss steering stabilizer system, 285 Cooper Discover

"If it doesn't have tit's a trigger or a throttle I'm pretty much not interested!"

tys_dmax tys_dmax
New User | Posts: 9 | Joined: 08/08
Posted: 08/27/08
05:01 AM

I have an o2 Dmax and havent had any troubled but the PRNDL switch which is apparently common in them.  other then that i love my truck, and have no complaints.  I know when i hook it up to the float and put a load on she doesnt struggle none.  
2002 Duramax-stock for now.

superliftduramax superliftduramax
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 09/08
Posted: 09/14/08
05:30 AM

i have and 02 duramax and i havent had any troubles with it, you dont hear of any overheating problems with the trucks mine had a lot of hot suppers and its still working fine  

miketabone miketabone
New User | Posts: 11 | Joined: 08/08
Posted: 04/14/09
03:26 PM

I also had the PRNDL switch go out on my truck pain in the ass, locks you at 45mph top speed, I had a few days warning though the gear indicator will turn off, and your daytime running lights will stay on in park. Fix it before it gets worse if it happens to you. Sadly I could not get the Neutral Saftey Switch from my work and had to dealer it. Only thing is I was 400 miles from home in the back country... Also when changing this, GM glued the larger connector on from some reason.  
2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD Ext Cab Short bed 4x4. Back Rack, Grille Guard, 4 Whelen TIR3s Code 3 Light Bar, K&N Series 77 Intake, 5" Stack off the turbo down pipe, Diabolo Sport Tuner.

1944 GE 44 Tonner Locomotive with twinn Cat D17000's

2abars 2abars
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/09
Posted: 05/22/09
08:59 PM

I have an 01 Duramax with 110,000 miles on it and it runs like a top.  I get 20mpg at 75 mph.  A month ago I was pulling a trailer and it sounded like the engine shut down.  Could not get over 30 mph.  Shut the engine off and started it up an it ran like a charm.  This happened twice an took it into my GM Dealer an they are saying it is the injectors. Mt feeling is there is something in the fuel tank that plugs the suction tube.  Need feed back if this has ever happened to any one else.  
2abars@nemont.net  

bigdirtymaxx bigdirtymaxx
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 03/09
Posted: 05/24/09
07:27 PM

I have a 03 LB7 i have heard there are differences in the 01-02 from the 03-early 04. But i have compaired mine to my bro-inlaws cousins and i don't see one other than his upgrades mine don't have. Anyway I have 150500 on mine and it still runs like a stripeded ass ape. PRND mod is the only problem and the transfer case leaking. Fixed with extreme temp silicone. Injectors changed at 120000 nota hitch since. They are good I recommend.  

sheri71 sheri71
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 11/09
Posted: 11/23/09
05:51 PM

I have a 02 chev duramax 3/4 ton. it only has 80,000 miles. I go to pull a travel trailer and it does the same thing. it shuts down ( sort of) and I have to pull over and turn it off for a little while. I can only go very short distance. It happens every time. some say new or rebuilt trans. with so little miles on it? its kinda like 2abars problem? sensor? injectors? I am so confused! any ideas?