shuts down at 2000 rpm duramax

Diesel Power
Item Posts    Sort Order

shuts down at 2000 rpm duramax

duramax2005 duramax2005
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 10/08
Posted: 10/17/08
08:22 AM

just bought a 2005 chevy duramax, had a banks kit on it, but guy removed it before I bought it, it ran great when I test rode it, on the way to daytona beach it just about shut down, upon driving it more it revs to 2000 rpm's & wont go over.... or seems like a rev limiter or something is kicking in, shut it off let it sit, will run great, then the sob shuts down to 2k again, is there a governor setting or something to do with the romoval of the banks??? took the battery terminals off to try to reset the computer, tried some octane booster... stuck in daytona at 2k

has anyone ever experienced this or know whats up??? tried the local chevy dealer they told me to bring it in a couple of days....nice....

chris  

WillD. WillD.
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 10/08
10:35 AM

I also have a 05 duramax and had that same problem running up and down I-5 between north cali and oregon. It seemed really random and wouldn't always happen but usually occurred on the steep grades. i installed a bully dog system hoping it was a limiter and the programmer would get rid of it. i still had a few instances but then i started using a fuel additive and i haven't had a problem since. I'm still very curious about this though because i doubt i solved the problem just kind of found a way to prevent it.
Will  

2001.SCOTT 2001.SCOTT
Enthusiast | Posts: 464 | Joined: 12/07
06:19 PM

if you knew who had the truck new it might have a governor had been added like it was a store truck and the owners did not want emyployes out racing it or it might just be a fault in the programming. You might just have to have a gm computer to scan it see whats going on  
2001 dodge with 5in exhaust k@n intake with edge comp box,2in leveling, added holley blue lift pump kit member-"Blowing Smoke Gang" Ranchhand bumbers