Diesel Power
1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

turn up fuel pump 7.3 turbo idi

VWdiesel VWdiesel
User | Posts: 102 | Joined: 12/07
Posted: 12/13/08
09:28 PM

its a 93 7.3 idi with a stock turbo. i want to turn the pump up  want anyones imput on how far to turn for best results and how much of a power increase you git and if your fuel mileage changes even when takin it easy. i dont have an egt gauge yet but plan on getting one. im also looking for ingectors  
'81 VW caddy diesel 3.5 inch exhaust,, smokes reel good and sounds like a big truck now. and still gits 46 mpg!

'93 F250 cold air intake , straight pipe w/ 5" stack

BCRAM BCRAM
Enthusiast | Posts: 672 | Joined: 11/06
Posted: 12/15/08
05:24 PM

Search this forum for your question. I know I've answered this Q before.  
2002 Dodge Ram 6 SPD Fass pump, afe cold air, mbrp 4" ss exhaust, 275hp RV injectors, edge ez, isspro gauges, South Bend clutch, track bar updated to 03-07 style, dss steering stabilizer system, 285 Cooper Discover

"If it doesn't have tit's a trigger or a throttle I'm pretty much not interested!"

MarineOne MarineOne
Addict | Posts: 2009 | Joined: 10/08
Posted: 12/15/08
10:03 PM

If you can't find it on here you can Google Stanadyne DB2.  Both GM and Ford used this pump for early diesels, so any information you find should apply to either as it's basically the same pump.

Here's a couple of links I found when I did a search:

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/general/0809dp_stanadyne_db2_injection_pump/photo_09.html

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/general/0809dp_stanadyne_db2_injection_pump/index.html

Kris  
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 5.9L - Smarty CR S-06 on SW #4
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 QC 6.7L - H&S MiniMaxx on DPF tune for towing, Titan Fuel Tank, Aero Muffler 4040XL, Nathan AirChime K3LA

VWdiesel VWdiesel
Posted: 12/18/08
08:47 PM

thanks i plan on turnin it up in the next couple of days  
'81 VW caddy diesel 3.5 inch exhaust,, smokes reel good and sounds like a big truck now. and still gits 46 mpg!

1800joedaddy 1800joedaddy
New User | Posts: 33 | Joined: 12/08
Posted: 12/27/08
11:50 AM

I just did mine yesterday, if you've never done it, get a friend to help and get a small mirror. I used one of my wifes old compacts. Get the balancer mark to about the top before you take the inspection plate off. The instructions say 1 O'clock, but if you go past and try to turn the wrench back you may loosen the balancer bolt. A 15/16 deep well from underneeth works best. This is why you want a helper, you watch in the mirror with a flash light while he/she turns the motor over clockwise until the screw comes into view. The screw may not be there since the pump turns over 1 time to every crank rev. If so turn the crank 1 more rev and you will see it. The access hole isn't very big and you need it just right to get to the screw. You'll need a 5/32 allen wrench that's at least 2 inchs long, I used a regular single wrench w/the long end in the pump and a piece of steel tubing on the short end for leverage. Turn clockwise 1 flat or 60% seriously. I went a 1/4 turn cause I'm a Dumb-Ass and now I gotta turn it back down. If you don't get a helper good luck, I did mine myself and it took 2 hours to get everything right and 2 minutes to turn-up the pump.  

VWdiesel VWdiesel
Posted: 12/28/08
02:46 PM

thanks man, did u feel a power increase and why only one flat? does it just smoke a whole lot more after that?  

1800joedaddy 1800joedaddy
New User | Posts: 33 | Joined: 12/08
Posted: 12/29/08
02:46 PM

I was wrong about going to far, I was watching it at low rpm. at 2500 and above it clears-up and runs strong. My 0-60 before was 20seconds (It's a big damned truck) now it's 17. I still have some mods to make before I add the turbo but I expect to get down in the low teens when I'm done. Why one flat, well appearantly the preasure is very sensitive to adjustments. Personaly I'd say stick w/one flat, but you know the drill. Good luck.  

mason4 mason4
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 01/09
Posted: 01/04/09
08:33 AM

I was reading your posts about turning up the pump on a 7.3 idi.  I have got a '94 F350 with 7.3, Banks sidewinder turbo kit, 4'' straight exhuast.I am not sure if the pump has been messed with, is there any way to tell? Also what do you mean by turning 1 flat?  Thanks any info would be helpful.......  

BCRAM BCRAM
Enthusiast | Posts: 672 | Joined: 11/06
Posted: 01/05/09
12:26 AM

One flat of an allen wrench. (six sides/flats to a wrench) There is no real way other than your truck will smoke a whole lot more if the pump is tweaked. It should be a safe assumption that if the Banks kit was professionally installed, the pump has been turned up...maybe just not enough, although one flat is alot.  
2002 Dodge Ram 6 SPD Fass pump, afe cold air, mbrp 4" ss exhaust, 275hp RV injectors, edge ez, isspro gauges, South Bend clutch, track bar updated to 03-07 style, dss steering stabilizer system, 285 Cooper Discover

"If it doesn't have tit's a trigger or a throttle I'm pretty much not interested!"

mason4 mason4
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 01/09
Posted: 01/05/09
06:12 PM

Hey BCRAM,  Thanks for the info. The truck really doesn't smoke alot,it runs strong, but I am new to the diesel scene so I don't know much about them. I just want to get the most out of it and learn any tricks I can without hurting reliability or tearing the engine down........Again Thanks for the help.  

beave32 beave32
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 01/10
Posted: 01/17/10
01:16 AM

where is the adjustment screw you're are talking about on the fuel pump, what is it called, and will it work on my 88 7.3?...I'm new to the diesel thing, it's an 88 f-350 custom, 7.3idi non turbo, 4" lift, 35" nitto mud grapplers, dual 5" stacks  

motobiknfreek motobiknfreek
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 07/10
Posted: 05/17/11
09:01 AM

So I have a question...I just swapped out a 6.9 for another rebuilt 6.9 with a banks sidewinder turbo. And I bought the motor from a guy on craigslist. (the motor and turbo has about 30k miles) So far the truck runs amazing, no problems what so ever. But I was playing with my internal fuel screw a little bit, and trying to get some more power. But I quickly found out that the screw was already 1/2 a turn from being all-the-way-in.

I have done alot of reading on a variety of forums about adjusting the fuel, and it seems to me that if my internal fuel screw is turned up that much I should be plooming with black smoke and running my EGT hot.

My pyro is at 600 degrees (max) and that's up a hill full throttle. And there is essentially hardly any black smoke at that point as well. I know I am not lean (atleast no white smoke). But it seems like I am missing something?

Does anybody have any ideas as to why I am not plooming black smoke and running hotter EGT? Is my IP bad? Or is my turbo SUPER effecient?

1987 F-350 4x4 SC 6.9L w/ banks sidewinder, 4" DP w/ no exhaust. c-6  

derek_661989 derek_661989
New User | Posts: 17 | Joined: 12/10
Posted: 05/24/11
10:52 AM

beave did you goto the links? passenger side of the pump, triangle access cover, turn your engine so the balancer mark is at the 1oclock postion, use a mirror and you should see a recessed allen screw, if you dont, turn your engine 360 degrees and look again, fuel deliver screw? something along those lines

moto- thats interesting, not sure i can answer your question but could the screw maybe of just hit a snag or something, i know they are difficult to turn so they dont turn on their own.  your right it should most definitely be blowing black smoke if its all the way in and plus they say watch to make sure u dnt exceed 1100 degrees but ur not even close.  just a shot in the dark but maybe your fuel filter is plugged and restricting flow.  or your pump has an issue.  was the pump replaced with the engine rebuild? worse case scenario those pumps arnt super expensive, a new reman is like 400 on ebay, stanadyne is who makes them.. hope that helps a little  

dirtydukes dirtydukes
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/12
Posted: 09/13/12
12:56 PM

hey guys i got a question now ive read all of this and my question is how do i roll coal now im not a newb ive turned my pumped up a 1/4 turn and they say you should be able to see smoke i dont see anything can i go more without hurting it.  

5toMidnight 5toMidnight
User | Posts: 167 | Joined: 03/12
Posted: 09/14/12
05:06 AM

Stuff some rags in the air intake bowl over the screen. That will choke off the airflow so you can "roll coal" with all the other idiots.  

1 |  2 |  Next   | Last