Kubota Ranger Swap

Diesel Power
Item Posts    Sort Order

Kubota Ranger Swap

jakebilt jakebilt
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 12/08
Posted: 12/26/08
01:50 PM

I have had my 03 Ranger 4x4 with a V2003T Kubota diesel on the road for 9 days now.  It took 3 times as long to do as I thought it would but everything works good.  Not much power but enough to get down the road.  No good mileage figures yet, has been 10 to 20 below for days but it looks like it is going to be pretty good.  The hardest part was getting the AC, alternator, and power steering hung on and getting the serpentine belt to work.  Anyway I will post this and await your cheers, jeer, questions, and whatever else.  

jakebilt jakebilt
Posted: 12/27/08
12:35 PM

I have pictures of this project at http://picasaweb.google.com/jakegoldsberry/JakebiltTruck#  

backwoodsboy916 backwoodsboy916
Enthusiast | Posts: 260 | Joined: 10/06
Posted: 01/11/09
09:28 PM

sounds badass but you need some better pics, and a youtube vid, I WANNA HEAR IT GO RATTLIN BY! Awesome project man!  
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 4 Door 4Wd Longbed 6SPD manual, Silverline 4 inch exhaust,ATS Performance Exhaust Manifold, K&N Intake,CFM Intake Manifold, Edge Juice w/Attitude, Recon Smoked Roof and Fender Lights, 285/70/17 Firestone M/Ts,  MUCH MUCH MORE to come, one day...when im not so BROKE.....

Member: Blowin Smoke Gang

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Administrator | Posts: 2112 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 01/12/09
05:53 PM

Cool! What can you get it up to on the freeway? Did you re-gear it at all? How much boost are you pushing?  Smile  

jakebilt jakebilt
Posted: 01/24/09
09:33 PM

Icon Quoteesanchez:
Cool! What can you get it up to on the freeway? Did you re-gear it at all? How much boost are you pushing?  Smile

It will run down I94 maxed on the governor at 75 if it is level and no wind but the other night in howling blizzard I had to go to forth where it maxes out at 60.  Severe headwind.  I don't spend much time worrying about the Highway Patrol.  I have the stock Ranger 5 speed with 4.10 rear gears and run 65 mph at 2500 rpm.  It for sure isn't overpowered but I think it will do pretty good if it ever gets above zero.  I have 2000 miles on it so far with no glitches at all.  The best mileage so far is 25 mpg which isn't very impressive but nearly every mile so far has been in four wheel drive and I have had chains on at least once every tank full.  Winter is ugly around here.  I am burning straight #1 fuel so I know there is room for improvement there if spring ever comes.  I have a boost gauge and a pyro but haven't had time to put them in yet.  I have a part time oil well pumping job where I drive about 150 miles a day for 2 days a week on country roads with lots of snow.  Tire chains and a scoop shovel are mandatory.  Once I get my gauges in and it warms up I will start looking for a little more power but for what I am doing it works pretty good.  Too damned icy to go very fast. Thanks for your interest. Grin  

jakebilt jakebilt
Posted: 03/06/09
09:23 PM

Got my gauges put in, pyro and boost.  Pyro gets to 950 if you stand on it long enought.  Probe is about an inch downstream of turbo outlet and fuel setting is stock.  I think that is probably about all the temperature I want as this thing doesn't get to rest much.  Boost gets 8# at 1600 rpm and stops climbing due to wastegate opening.  I think I can safely go to 10#, hopefully just by adjusting the wastegate actuating rod.  That should increase the fuel a little as fuel increases with boost pressure.  Hope to hear opinions, suggestions, etc from you all.  Thanks for your input.     Jake  

cummins2500 cummins2500
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 03/09
Posted: 03/09/09
10:02 AM

Thats pretty sweet me and my buddy just put a kubota 4 cly diesel out of a toro mower into a suzuki samurai. It has so much more power than the little gas motor had. Now it will just creep thought the mud with 5.72 gears and welded front and rear and a unlimted amout of torque.  
2000 DODGE 24V CUMMINS, DDP INGETORS, RAPTOR LIFT PUMP, MANUAL WITH VAL AIR 13" CERAMIC CLUTCH,

jakebilt jakebilt
Posted: 03/10/09
06:15 PM

That sounds like a pretty good little rig.  Which Kubota engine did you use?  Also which transmission and how did it all go together?  Give me all the gory details.  My Kubanger seems to be a success so far.  It would be just about perfect if we had a 55 mph speed limit.  That's where it is the happiest.  Always could use more power but have no complaints.  They way things are going in this country the speed limit may be coming Crazy   I will be watching for more details.   Thanks,  Jakebilt