Ad Radar
Diesel Power
Mobile Icon BtnMobile Icon Btn RO
Newsletter

Chrysler/Fiat Merger, What does it mean for Cummins?

Diesel Power
Item Posts    Sort Order

Chrysler/Fiat Merger, What does it mean for Cummins?

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Administrator | Posts: 2112 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 05/01/09
01:07 PM

How do you guys think the Chrysler Chapter 11 and Fiat merger deal will affect the company's relationship with Cummins, if at all? Do you think the relationship will survive the reorganization?  

red_96 red_96
User | Posts: 226 | Joined: 10/07
02:07 PM

Good question E.  I am thinking that Chrysler, Fiat and Cummins have already had
several talks.
I think Cummins and Fiat would want to work together given the strong sales of the
Cummins Dodge Ram over the years.
Cummins has a contract with Chrysler until 2012??

Ford would love to have that contract after that.
But time will tell.  

02:26 PM

Well, I know when Daimler & Chrysler were tied up together, there was some talk of offering a Mercedes diesel in the Ram (probably branded as Detroit Diesel) but obviously that never happened. I know Fiat owns the commercial truck company Iveco, but I don't know what kind of engines they have, and if any of them would be suitable for the Ram. The Dodge/Cummins relationship has been so mutually beneficial for so long, I have a hard time believing they're going to break it off anytime soon, but then again, when you're in Ch. 11, anything can happen.  

red_96 red_96
Posted: 05/02/09
11:35 AM

you are right anything can happen.
this may sound crazy but what if Cummins bought the Dodge Ram truck div.

I love the Cummins inline six,and i will always be loyal.

But then again if California fell into the ocean and it took with it many of this country's green idiots, the big three would be back in bis the next day!!!.  

red_96 red_96
Posted: 05/05/09
04:52 PM

Chrysler owes Cummins 43.9 Mil. in unsecured debt.  

blackcat83 blackcat83
User | Posts: 62 | Joined: 01/08
05:12 PM

ouch
it would be nice if cummins could get the dodge ram , but i would go for a ford cummins also--------------------------------------------------------------------  
2004.5 Dodge 3500 Manual Trans, Quad Cab, 2wd, -upgrades-Dynomite 50+ HP Injectors, AFE Mega Cannon II intake, AFE 4" turbo back exhaust, Edge Juice-Attitude, Pureflow AirDog 150, Quadzilla Fuel Rail Gauge ***************** Future Upgrades- South Bend Dual Disk Clutch, ARP Head Studs, ATS Aurora 5000 Turbo compound kit,  Arson III CP3 kit, AFE Intake Elbow, Snow Performance Milage Max Kit

javik1 javik1
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 05/09
09:01 PM

you all are not considering all the tree huggers in washington not to mention obama's agenda to turn the US "green" and to build autos based on his image and what he thinks is good for the country. I think we are all in for a rude awakening given the way he has been firing ceo's, dictating private commerce, even giving a majority of the stock to UAW. If he has his way our nice diesel trucks will be a thing of the past. I don't even know how an Italian company became part of the "america's love for the automobile" I don't know how popular diesel trucks are in Italy, but once again we are in for a rude awakening....your thoughts?  

red_96 red_96
Posted: 05/07/09
12:44 PM

Diesel will not go away. oil companies, engine builders,big rigs are never going away.
obama is going to find out that his way will never work.
the rude awakening is his dumba$$ gone in 3.8 years.
we need to take back our country from these morons.
global warming is a pile of obama.  

javik1 javik1
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 05/09
Posted: 05/07/09
08:23 PM

remember that some trucking companies are already being left out of gov't contracts if their at least half their fleet is not turned in to cng. we really don't hear this from the mainstream media.  we have plenty of oil here in the US just remember that it was the current congress (Pelosi) that did not want to bring the issue up for vote while the gas prices were hitting $4.  We sure need to take our country back, or we will be driving freaking yugo's  

Boston1993 Boston1993
New User | Posts: 7 | Joined: 06/09
Posted: 06/30/09
08:34 PM

dodges contract with cummins ends in 2011 and ford will most likly snatch them up that will be pretty cool  

Posted: 07/01/09
09:37 AM

They only confirmed negative news I've heard come out regarding Chrysler & Fiat is they've canceled the half-ton Ram diesel, for now. The project might be revived at some point, but it's been put on the backburner for now. I think Dodge has so much brand equity tied up with the Cummins name, they'd be insane to drop it.  

skinnysfd skinnysfd
User | Posts: 52 | Joined: 11/08
Posted: 07/03/09
08:32 PM

Ford is not getting Cummins!!!Ford is actually going to be building their own diesel now called a Scorpion 6.7L from what i have read the numbers are pretty impressive too. Maybe they will actually be on to something now who knows. Cummins will not stray from dodge.If they Dodge did drop cummins they would be over for sure.  
SOLD 2005 2500
Just bought 2006 3500 cummins, blackouted,B&W turnover ball,4" TB exhaust,and a couple other things that make it go fast and tow like a B$%^T