2006 Cummins Electrical Problems

Diesel Power
Item Posts    Sort Order

2006 Cummins Electrical Problems

hahnas750 hahnas750
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 04/09
Posted: 04/26/09
08:15 PM

First started batteries would go dead without notice. So I was thinkin maybe the alt. was bad so I figured well an old gas motor will run with just the alt. and you can unhook the batteries to check it..well didn't know you wasn't supposed to fo this on a newer comp. operated vehicle..anyways when I pulled the cable off it died so I put the cable back on and it sparked pretty bad, and blew the PCM fuse. It will not hold the PCM fuses now as soon as you put in a new one..blows it..could I have possilbly fried my PCM?? We've got the wiring diagram for the truck and chased the PCM wire and tested it all the way from the fuse panel to the PCM and it has continuity and no short to the ground, But when we check for continuity to the prong on the PCM for a short to the ground it does have?  

hahnas750 hahnas750
Posted: 04/26/09
08:18 PM

Another thing the truck is doin, its not related to the electrical, but when comin to a stop it will not shift into to first gear (its a automatic). Sometimes when your at a complete stop you can manually pull it down to low and it will set for a minute and it will eventually shift into first. Any Ideas on this?  

pbrbullhauler pbrbullhauler
Enthusiast | Posts: 556 | Joined: 03/09
Posted: 04/28/09
05:14 PM

need and try to see if you can get any codes out of it  

rustySS rustySS
New User | Posts: 34 | Joined: 02/09
06:48 PM

In my opinion, I would suspect the PCM is toast! When the batteries were unhooked, the alternator began putting out maximum capacity for a brief second. The computer recognized this as a voltage spike and went into limp mode. I have seen similar situations when boosting another vehicle with a newer Dodge while the motor is running. The regulator in the PCM can't dump the excess charge quick enough before it damages other sensitive circuits. Try getting the computer and the body control module checked out.

PS. It is not good for any alternator, new or old to run with the battery unhooked!

Rusty

hahnas750 hahnas750
08:06 PM

Can't do that, cause the PCM don't have any juice, thats the whole problem lol.  

rustySS rustySS
New User | Posts: 34 | Joined: 02/09
08:35 PM

It's not that hard to remove the PCM and take it in. I have two sitting on my bench.

hahnas750 hahnas750
Posted: 04/29/09
11:56 AM

where can you take them to get checked at?  

darkhorse06 darkhorse06
New User | Posts: 29 | Joined: 11/08
Posted: 05/01/09
01:46 PM

Had the same problem with my tranny.  Took it to a local tranny "guru" and he fixed it for less than $500.  The best I remember if it was the shift solenoid, he told me but I've slept since then.  I do remember that it was part of a series and he changed all three solenoids, fluid and filter for less than $500...  Hope you're as lucky as I was.  Get it fixed quick or you'll be buying a new one....  
06 2500 Big Horn Edition, K&N air filter, No Muffler, Edge Hot Juice w/ Attitude. Otherwise stock for now...

hahnas750 hahnas750
Posted: 05/02/09
03:54 AM

Ok I called my local dodge dealership and they told me that they couldn't check the PCM unless it was in the truck. Any where else I can take it too besides Dodge?  

pbrbullhauler pbrbullhauler
Enthusiast | Posts: 556 | Joined: 03/09
Posted: 05/02/09
02:25 PM

nope far as i know thats a dealer item only cummins doesnt have anything for it  

mandrl.adame mandrl.adame
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 10/13
Posted: 10/01/13
11:56 AM

I have a 2006 2500 cummins. My volt gauge ran all the way down and my truck died so I figured it was the alternator. Replace the alternator and when I went to hook up my batteries the positive cables would arc something terrible. Come to find out the solenoid that runs from the alternator to the battery was the cause. I ran power straight from the alternator to the battery and problem was solved until I could get the new solenoid. Hope this helps.  

idahobuckaroo idahobuckaroo
Guru | Posts: 1250 | Joined: 09/12
Posted: 10/01/13
08:24 PM

Sounds like you fried the PCM circuit board which will most likely need to be replaced.  Have you checked to see if your truck was throwing any codes?

Below are some common PCM codes you might see:
P0606 – Internal Control Processor (PCM failure – this one can also apply to the 6.7L)
P0630 VIN Not Programmed in PCM
P0633 SKIM Key Not Programmed in PCM
P1693 Generic fault indicating a fault in the bus or PCM/ECM interface
P2509-ecm/pcm Power Input Signal Intermittent
P0320 – No RPM Signal To PCM
P0601 – PCM Internal Controller Failure
P1389 – No Auto Shutdown (ASD) Relay Output Voltage At PCM
P1693 – DTC Detected In ECM Or PCM
P1698 – No CCD Messages Received From PCM

Your best bet maybe to visit a Dodge dealer in your area, or try calling Cummins at their Customer Service Center (have your engine S/N in-hand) at 1-800-DIESEL.  They might be able to recommend a shop if a Dodge dealer is not available in your area.

Also, if you decide to visit a Dodge dealer, have your truck checked to see if the following Tech Service Bulletin (TBS) update was applied to your truck.  The dealer should be able to run the VIN number for your truck and determine if the TBS update was done or not.

---------
TSB: 18-001-07
Date of Issue: 01/06/07
Year of Truck: ‘06 - ‘07

Flash: check gauges lamp illuminates for alternator charging with DTC P2502, P2503, or P2509
This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 5.9-liter engine (sales code ETH) built on or before November 29, 2006.

The customer may experience the illumination of the “Check Gauges” lamp on the instrument panel cluster. Inspection of the gauges may reveal that the battery charging gauge may read in the 11-volt range rather than in the 14-volt range.

Engine/Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) illumination:
Further diagnosis may reveal the following diagnostic trouble codes (DTC’s) have been set:
P2502 – Charging System Error – Diesel
P2503 – Charging System Output Low – Diesel
P2509 – Power-down Data Lost Error – Diesel

This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the power train control module (Cummins PCM) with new software.

---------

For future reference, here are some of the common causes of PCM failures.

Voltage Overload
One of the main things that can cause a control module on a vehicle to go bad is voltage overload. This can occur when a short exists in the circuits of either a solenoid or actuator. Replacing the control module will do no good if these shorts are not dealt with as the replacement control module will experience voltage overload as well.

Water
Another thing that can cause a vehicle's control module to go bad is water. Circuits get shorted out and the control module's electrical connections are harmed from the corrosion that builds if water manages to reach the inside of the control module. This is why repairs are usually not even attempted on control modules that come out of flooded vehicles.

Vibration and Stress
Vibration as well as thermal stress has also been known to cause control modules to go bad. This is because they can cause tiny cracks to form in the control module's circuit boards. However, unlike water damage, this type of damage to a control module is repairable.

The PCM Function
The control module of a vehicle is basically the computer that does the thinking for an engine's control system. It affects the functioning of things ranging from a vehicle's charging system to its transmission. This is why when the control module goes bad, the engine suffers functionality issues as well.

Hope this info is helpful.

Regards.  
----------------

Towin' machine...  Joel

Cummins High Mileage Club Member
TDR Turbo Diesel Registry Member
SMARTY Tuners Performance King