Diesel Power
Mobile Icon BtnMobile Icon Btn RO
Newsletter

97 Chevy 3500 6.5 diesel problem, PLEASE HELP!

Diesel Power
Item Posts    Sort Order

97 Chevy 3500 6.5 diesel problem, PLEASE HELP!

ZachSD ZachSD
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/09
Posted: 07/13/09
03:45 PM

I am new to this site and need some pointers to try to figure out my issue with my truck. As stated I have a 97 Chevy 3500 6.5 diesel and am having some issues and I hope you can help me out to try to figure this one out. In the morning when I start it it fires up great, if left at idle it seems it would run forever. Only when we start to drive within a mile it dies. Put it back in park, it starts right up again and rolls for a little longer. Then it just goes away and runs fine. But I have noticed that it is doing it more and getting it going while it is hot is getting harder.
Last week we replaced the air filter and fuel filter, but did not help.

Any help or advice would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Thanks!  

89bobbyz 89bobbyz
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 08/11/09
11:36 AM

it's more than likely your pump driver module located on the injection pump. i had the same problem, went to advance auto parts and got a new one for 300 and replaced it myself. when replacing this look into all new intake gaskets.  

plbooth plbooth
New User | Posts: 11 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 08/18/09
05:18 PM

I have a similar problem, starts and runs great cold, dies like turned off switch, set a minute or two and restarts fine and runs great again. replaced the pmd awhile back when saw a lose of power but that doesn't appear now, just dies, quits.
I cannot hear my lift pump in tank running at all but think it wouldn't run at all if lift pump wasn't working. when running, it pulls great. currently fluctuating between liftpump and pmd but can't find a way to decide. any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. plbooth@gmail.com  

boper10 boper10
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 08/30/09
06:12 AM

dont rplace the driver module in the same place buy a heat sink for it and mount it away from the heat. the heat is what burns out the curcuits  

FarmallFreak FarmallFreak
New User | Posts: 29 | Joined: 03/10
Posted: 03/24/10
06:43 PM

Boper 10 is right put the relocation kit on, check the price on the kit with your GM dealer and being it is a pattern failure they probably have it in stock.  

TY6.5 TY6.5
New User | Posts: 13 | Joined: 11/09
Posted: 03/30/10
10:11 AM

Check with Heath diesel or SS diesel for a PMD/heatsink kit w/harness and remote mount it outside the engine bay(behind lic plate).  The SEALERSHIP will soak you pretty good for a PMD and that is if they even have one.  

jsmith595 jsmith595
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 03/10
Posted: 04/04/10
04:16 AM

i just fixed the same problem it is the pmd dont take off the intake,use screw driver unclip the elec.termnal end the little ground wire take mechanics wire run it to back of intake.and mount new pmd on a bracket that u make off bolt on cover that is on top of motor u will have to cut off coner of cover fore it to fit.                                                     jsmith595  

Grampa7 Grampa7
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/10
Posted: 07/21/10
03:28 PM

I had the same problem with my '95. If you've tried all the pmd solutions and still having problems, check the ingnition switch behind the steering wheel.  

israelto israelto
New User | Posts: 7 | Joined: 10/11
Posted: 10/04/11
10:18 PM

were  you drain the fuel in the filter or in  the drain wather valve
you need full fuel in the fuel filter open the relay or use jump tho fuel pump
to drain air for the fuel filter and check leaks under isthe oil sensor and fuel suich controler no make dirt or remplase use the rig  Shocked  

Blacksmith Blacksmith
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/12
Posted: 01/25/12
10:32 AM

Don't know if you got your truck fixed, but here's some advise for the future if so. Just went through the same thing.I replaced the PDM,inline Fuel pump as well as relocated my PDM.Turns out the Gas Station put gas in their diesel tanks!Had to completely flush system out.Injected lubricant right into the pump. Works great now.If your truck dies periodically,it's the PDM.If it sputters and stalls out, it's a combination of fuel filter and inline fuel pump.Even the slightest amount of contaminates in the fuel will kill it.This is because it runs on very low injector pressure.Also, you should add 100 milliliters (about 6 ounces)of two stroke motor oil to your tank on fill up. The oil companies are removing the sulfur from the diesel which acted as a lubricant.Hope this helps.  

Ls1creation Ls1creation
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/12
Posted: 09/12/12
06:38 PM

Hey guys I have a 92 and have the same problem but I don't know where it's located on my truck