Ad Radar
Diesel Power
Mobile Icon BtnMobile Icon Btn RO
Newsletter

6.5 3500 1993 Won't start when hot. runs great until shut it off.

Diesel Power
Item Posts    Sort Order

6.5 3500 1993 Won't start when hot. runs great until shut it off.

deadengstart deadengstart
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/09
Posted: 07/15/09
11:06 PM

My 93 pick-up has a 6.5.  Will not start when hot.  Runs great until I shut it off.  The only way it will start is crank it way too long and hold on floor. don't know if the holding on floor helps but I do it.   Batties and altinator check fine.  Step up pump working.  Let it cool till next day fires right up.

Please help.  
Thanks  

Rion Rion
New User | Posts: 32 | Joined: 04/09
Posted: 07/16/09
08:40 PM

So since it's a 93 we're going to assume it has a mechanical injection pump. Odds are that the head and or rotor in the injection pump are warped. The easy way to test the theory is to carry a gallon of water with you. Next time it won't start pour the gallon of water on the injection pump and cool it off. Close the hood and get back in the truck with a smile of confidence for your girlfriend and start it up and drive away. Now the question is to carry jugs of water around with you or buy a new injection pump. I personally opped for the jugs of water intil I could afford a new pump. The number on the pump is a db2 4911 and should cost you approximately $500 exchange. There's a lot of bs out there about who's putting in the oem quality parts but I believe you will find that Stanadyne recons those parts and a recon pump works just fine if purchased from a reputable rebuilder. If you aren't treated right at your local injection shop, the internet is a good source for providers. If you email me I'll drop a name.  

89bobbyz 89bobbyz
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 08/11/09
11:28 AM

it's probably your pump driver module, i had the same problem with my truck.  i paid about 300 to get it fixed. the guy is right when he says to pour water on your injection pump, but more than likely it is not the pump. if this sounds familiar it's the module. drive for about 20 miles until it warms up then the truck will just shut off. wait until it cools off and it will start right back up. you can use the water for so long before it starts actually messing with the injection pump  

Rion Rion
New User | Posts: 32 | Joined: 04/09
Posted: 09/13/09
05:09 PM

Guess I should read back on these more often. I believe GM didn't come out with the electronic injection pump until 94. The 93 has a mechanical injection pump with no module to worry about. You can completely submerge the db 2 underwater and keep on running. So are you still using water or did you buy a pump?