loss of power

Diesel Power
Item Posts    Sort Order

loss of power

badasp118 badasp118
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 09/09
Posted: 09/10/09
04:09 PM

I have a huge problem. I recently bought a 1991 f-350 two wheel drive crewcab dually with the 7.3 idi non turbo. I have straight piped it and nothing else. I had to pull a piece of junk old alarm system off of it that was causing problems, and fixed the window motor. But i have a new problem. I recently was out dove hunting with my boy and we started to drive up a small hill that is in the field and as I was accelereating up it was like the truck dumped all over its self and almost stalled. It was like it just gave up. Started out strong then just kind of starved itsself out. It then slid on me and I got stuck. This truck only has about a hundred thousand original miles on it. now these are known for being pullers and this just stumped me. I have 4:10 gear in the rear end and I could have gone up this hill in a pinto!! It was damn embaressing to have to have the neighbor come pull me out with his 90 ford 7.3idi non turbo single cab 2 wheel drive. any ideas? this is my first diesel and I love it. It runs down the road great but seems very lacking for power.....The previous owner pulled race car trailers with it, and it seems like it wants to do more but is starved for something.......Any ideas, what to check? Thanks........it only seems to do it under hard acceleration though

Badasp118  
1991 f-350 crewcab dually 7.3 idi nonturbo.....stock

MarineOne MarineOne
Addict | Posts: 2065 | Joined: 09/08
Posted: 09/11/09
10:22 PM

Sounds like a fuel delivery problem when you drove uphill.  I would look there first for some answers.

Kris  

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 5.9L - Smarty CR S-06 on SW #5

2008 Dodge Ram 3500 QC 6.7L - H&S MiniMaxx on DPF tune for towing
Titan Fuel Tank
Aero Muffler 4040XL
Nathan AirChime K3LA

pbrbullhauler pbrbullhauler
Enthusiast | Posts: 556 | Joined: 03/09
Posted: 09/12/09
09:42 AM

i agree you having a fuel delivery problem . when did you change your fuel filter or have you . start their and see what happens. if that doesnt fix the problem then it could be in the tank but  since that truck has 2 if i remember my fords right change tanks and see if it makes a difference if not then i would look at the fuel pump, it maybe going bad  

BCRAM BCRAM
Enthusiast | Posts: 672 | Joined: 11/06
04:15 PM

It sounds like your injection pump, that's about as long as they last...truck will idle normal but you can floor it and it will barely move...sometimes the truck will be fine when cold, but power will fail as soon as it warms up. Also the truck will pour blue smoke out the pipe when decelerating down a hill. Put in new injectors when doing the pump...they will be toast as well. Use a good fuel lubricator and the new pump will last much longer.  
2002 Dodge Ram 6 SPD Fass pump, afe cold air, mbrp 4" ss exhaust, 275hp RV injectors, edge ez, isspro gauges, South Bend clutch, track bar updated to 03-07 style, dss steering stabilizer system, 285 Cooper Discover

"If it doesn't have tit's a trigger or a throttle I'm pretty much not interested!"

badasp118 badasp118
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 09/09
04:44 PM

I have a new problem that has popped up. I changed the fuel filter on my F-350 7.3 and spilled some diesel on the manifold. Around the glowplug on the left side of the engine (facing it) It appreared that there was air? coming out of the engine and or it was boiling. There were bubbles in the fuel it looked like someone blowing through a straw in liquid. Im really worried right now. what can this mean? Any ideas.....................

Also the truck seems to drive fine under normal driving, but put any load on it and the problems start.......

Badasp118  
1991 f-350 crewcab dually 7.3 idi nonturbo.....stock