Ford own Cummins?

Diesel Power
Item Posts    Sort Order

Ford own Cummins?

hotrodstude hotrodstude
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/09
Posted: 09/02/09
06:35 PM

dose ford own cummings??? or have an interest in cummings??? i have heard that they do and if they do when did they purchase cummings??? Confused  

biged681985 biged681985
User | Posts: 150 | Joined: 03/08
Posted: 09/02/09
07:28 PM

ford might own cumminGs. but cummins no they do not. this has been anon going rumor for years. at one poin t ford owned a certain percentage of cummins, but not a controlling percentage. since then cummins has bought it back.

biged681985

99 12v
bombs-no plate,175hp pump, 4kgsk., straight pipe into 7" blck stack, s&b intake, goerends TC and VB, back woods bumper. 433 hp and 1156lbs of tq. dyno sheet to prove.
www.dodgeownerforums.com
www.dieselbombers.com

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Administrator | Posts: 2112 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 09/03/09
08:23 AM

Man, this is the urban legend that just won't die!  

victorm1 victorm1
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/09
10:57 AM

Ford doesn't own cummins.  
This is the way I understand the events leading up to this ridiculous rumor.  The history behind this rummor goes like this:  In the late 80's, Dodge had less than 1% of the truck market in the US.  They had just aquired Jeep.  There was a small group within Dodge that felt that it might be best to simply get out of trucks all together and just let Chevy & Ford have it.  After all it was costing money to be in the market.  It wasn't making money.  BUT, in 1988 Dodge offered the 1989 model year Dodge Ram heavy duty with a Cummins diesel engine.  Originally they expected to sell 5,000 trucks.  They ended up selling over 20,000 trucks.  Many customers were willing to pay well over sticker price to get one, because Cummins had long been considered the Gold Standard in diesel engines.  It was the success that Dodge experienced, as a result of the Cummins diesel that gave them the impetus to remain in the truck market.  The thought was if they could redesign the truck and continue to utilize the Cummins motor then they would have a real winner.  Fast forward to 2009 and Dodge has about 26% of the truck market.  That makes the Dodge Ram the fastest growing truck in the market.  No one has ever eaten up that much market share in such a short period of time.  
So, back in 1989 the boys at Ford saw that one of their two competitors was going down for the count.  They heard the rumors that Dodge might be getting out of the truck business but then along comes Cummins and changes everything.  So their strategy became to take away the motor that was keeping Dodge in the truck game.  They approached Cummins and and tried to gain exclusive access to the motor.  They were told thanks but no thanks.  In 1990 they took a 15% ownership position in Cummins voting stock and at a shareholders meeting again tried to procure exclusive access to the motor.  Again they were denied.  At that point Ford sold back 10% and kept 5%.  They hung on to that 5% until 1997 when Cummins bought the 5% back from Ford.  Since then Ford has had nothing to do with Cummins.
The rumors, however, have never stopped.  It seems that since 1990 about every six months somebody jumps up and says , "Did you know that Ford owns Cummins?!?".  The rumors go on in a variety of ways:

I heard that the contract is about to expire with Dodge and THEN Ford gets the motor!

I heard that Dodge is using a Mercedes Diesel and dumping Cummins and THEN Ford gets the motor!

I heard that Ford just bought Cummins and Dodge is loosing the motor so Ford gets the motor!

I happen to know from a VERY RELIABLE SOURCE that Dodge is fixin to loose the Cummins and THEN Ford is getting it!

None of these are true and quite frankly I find it funny that the best defense that Ford fans seem to have against the Cummins engine is that they are about to get it as their motor.  Kind of sad really but none the less funny as hell.  By the way, if you want to here this from the proverbial horses mouth, just call the Cummins Investor Relations Hotline and ask them the following question:  Does Ford own Cummins ?  Sit back and you'll here the same thing that I've just told you.  Hope that this helps.  

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Administrator | Posts: 2112 | Joined: 07/06
05:01 PM

The introduction of the all-new 6.7L Scorpion turbodiesel V-8 also make it very dubious that a Cummins is going into the Super Duty anytime soon. Why else would Ford spend several years and millions of dollars to develop it in-house just to drop it for the Cummins?  

nastydieselpdc nastydieselpdc
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 06/09
Posted: 09/07/09
08:47 AM

Ford still uses the cummins in their medium duty truck line, which is funny that they use the cummins in a f650 instead of their boat anchor power joke.  

biged681985 biged681985
User | Posts: 150 | Joined: 03/08
Posted: 09/07/09
09:32 PM

it aint powerful enough to push the 650 around  
biged681985

99 12v
bombs-no plate,175hp pump, 4kgsk., straight pipe into 7" blck stack, s&b intake, goerends TC and VB, back woods bumper. 433 hp and 1156lbs of tq. dyno sheet to prove.
www.dodgeownerforums.com
www.dieselbombers.com

carolinarednek carolinarednek
User | Posts: 79 | Joined: 02/09
Posted: 09/08/09
10:09 AM

I think if Ford owned Cummins, you'd see me driving a Ford instead of a Dodge.....  
1996 3500 Dually 4X4, 12 Valve, Auto, 315/75 R16 BFG KM 2's, No plate, BHAF, Banks Twin Ram, Goerend Triple Disc Converter, BD Valve Body, 6" Miters

Direct Gorernd Transmissions, Airdog, Valair, and Air Horns of Texas Train Horn Kit Dealer. We have several vendors that we buy from. Take a look at ouir website to see if we can suit your diesel performance needs!!
www.coxdiesel.doodlekit.com