2005 Cummins problems

Diesel Power
Item Posts    Sort Order

2005 Cummins problems

spyguyinms spyguyinms
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 10/09
Posted: 10/08/09
02:55 PM

I have a 2005 Dodge 2500 Cummins 5.9L with 109k miles. Last night while driving, I went to pass another vehicle and when I accelerated, the engine bogged down and lost power. I let off the pedal and power was restored. Engine performs under normal conditions and is able to run up to about 90mph and then does the same "cut out" deal. I was thinking clogged fuel filter. Changed that, not the problem. Any ideas???

Thanks.....  

pbrbullhauler pbrbullhauler
Enthusiast | Posts: 556 | Joined: 03/09
04:26 PM

check fuel pressure could be lp problem  

spyguyinms spyguyinms
05:36 PM

I also want to add that when accelerator was floored and engine cut out, there was a noise similar to a backfire. But was very muted, almost like a cough or hiccup.  

BCRAM BCRAM
Enthusiast | Posts: 672 | Joined: 11/06
11:02 PM

That sound was probably just your waste gate slamming shut.  
2002 Dodge Ram 6 SPD Fass pump, afe cold air, mbrp 4" ss exhaust, 275hp RV injectors, edge ez, isspro gauges, South Bend clutch, track bar updated to 03-07 style, dss steering stabilizer system, 285 Cooper Discover

"If it doesn't have tit's a trigger or a throttle I'm pretty much not interested!"

Posted: 10/09/09
07:03 AM

try to see if their are any codes  

95cummins0 95cummins0
User | Posts: 63 | Joined: 09/09
Posted: 10/10/09
02:34 PM

you maybe hitting the rev. limiter or governor and is shutting itself down. these engines have this to keep from being over rev. resulting in engine damage.  
95 CUMMINS 12 VALVE, 350 HP MARINE INJECTORS, 0 PLATE,custom builtpump by taylor diesel, K&N COLDAIR INTAKE,TransCo diesel shift kit, timing advanced to 16 deg. 5" STACK

spyguyinms spyguyinms
07:12 PM

OK, Fellas.... With the assistance of a mechanically inclined friend, we think it may be the lift pump (thanks pbrbullhauler!). Now, I need to know what the normal fuel pressure should be!

Again, 2005 Dodge Cummins 24v 5.9L

Side note, how hard is it to change this out myself(once I know where it's located!)?? I'm no mechanic, but a pretty good learner!!  

07:23 PM

i believe on the 05 its in the tank.all i have run a rail pressure but not fuel pressure believe its about 10 at idle tho. should be the same numbers as the 2nd gen motors which is 10 to 8 at idle. no less then 8 at wot  

spyguyinms spyguyinms
Posted: 10/11/09
10:50 AM

Thanks again PBRBULLHAULER... I am gonna get that checked this coming week. Also there were no codes... Used key switch method as well as a scanner...

After looking around, I have found a "BD Diesel Lift Pump Kit - Lift Pump Kit - Auxiliary - Dodge 1998-2007 5.9L 24valve" on a website that sells for about $285. If the problem is fuel pressure and a new LP is needed, is this what I need? The word "auxillary" throws me a bit, like its an addition to existing, not a replacement... Sure would appreciate any directions on good brands, websites, etc. Also wanted to add, I have been looking at the Bully Dog Triple Dog with outlook monitor. Is there anything else that comes to mind that I SHOULD/HAVE TO add to the truck if I do the Bully Dog?

I belong to several Private Investigation newsgroups/forums and I have to say, this is one of the best forums that I have ever posted to... Thank you all for being so helpful and informative to a complete stranger!! Blanking awesome site!!!  

Posted: 10/11/09
11:18 AM

double check with the manufacter to see if it will work with the lp in the factory lp in the tank. fass air dog and a few others all tho they are a little pricey. if the bd will work go for it. also run a good aux filter system if you are going to chip it. you want nothing  more then a 5 micron filter.  

spyguyinms spyguyinms
Posted: 10/23/09
07:18 AM

Hey all.... I wanted to provide an update on my situation. As mentioned early on, I changed the fuel filter right away after truck fell on its face. I was finally able to get the truck into a shop this past week. After they put it on the diagnostic deal, no codes.. They ran the truck up and down the road without it falling out. Got a phone call saying problem cant be located, therefore, no problem. I went up there and I drove it, drove the hell out of it!! Not once could I get the problem to reproduce. All in all, thinking it was the fuel filter since thats all I changed. Mechanic and shop owner thinking on the same line... Who knows!!!! Now, working on some upgrades!!!

THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR YOUR THOUGHTS AND INPUT!!!!!!!!  

Posted: 10/23/09
08:54 AM

you need to change your filter every 10 to 12k. glad it was a cheap solution