1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order
Sticky Thread

Is Your 6.0 VGT Turbo Sticking?

theSLEEPER. theSLEEPER.
Guru | Posts: 1748 | Joined: 04/08
Posted: 10/08/09
06:43 AM

If your 6.0 PSD is laggy, or drops off at the top end, it could be that the vanes on the turbine side are rusted. It's a common problem, but it's possible to DIY your way back to a good turbo, without spending thousands!

International part # is 1870713C91.

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles/article-06-05.php

Copy and paste the above link. I tried to make it clickable, but something's up.  
DIESEL INNOVATIONS

Call me for all your performance part needs!

228-365-Zero Six Nine Eight!

6 Position Custom Tuned Chips!! $320 shipped!  
SCT X4's for your 6.0!! Call me for details!

tlperkins69 tlperkins69
New User | Posts: 31 | Joined: 10/09
11:49 AM

my 04 6.0 is laggin when i get on it, but it doesn't drop off. could this be the problem?  

brentos brentos
New User | Posts: 25 | Joined: 10/09
05:09 PM

it could still be vanes sticking even if it doesnt drop off....Yes  

tlperkins69 tlperkins69
New User | Posts: 31 | Joined: 10/09
05:11 PM

ok thanks  

oxford oxford
New User | Posts: 10 | Joined: 08/06
05:20 PM

I going through the same issue myself, 04 6.0 with 139,000 miles. Dealer wanted 1600.00 to replace the center of turbo and a unison ring. Spoke to a non dealer who repairs 6.0 and he said you can clean that up(sooted) and spray anti seize on the vanes plus 35.00 for a new gasket kit and your golden.  

brentos brentos
New User | Posts: 25 | Joined: 10/09
05:33 PM

in most cases yes you can but there are some instances especially with high mileage vehicles that the unison ring is worn out were the vv acuator dowel is and just a cleaning will not fix  

exceldiesel exceldiesel
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/10
Posted: 08/23/10
06:38 PM

do not use ANY type of lube think about it the vanes are on the exhaust side that gets very hot and has soot going through it dont put anythingon it that will gunk up and collect soot, clean it (cover all holes and bead blast) or sand put on a new unison ring and reinstall  

derek_beach derek_beach
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/10
Posted: 09/11/10
08:31 PM

I have a '04 so at 95k my turbo was making some noise, took it to the dealer and they said my turbo was coked. They cleaned it for $400 and said my FICM was running 28 volts so I had it changed out. So I was getting great fuel economy afterwards 20 mpg driving 60mph. Now 2k miles later same issue noisy turbo and fuel 9 mpg. They said it had the newer center section when they cleaned it. I havent noticed any smoke but right after the noise when I stepped on it no real power almost like it was starved. any thought or comments?????  

70amxman 70amxman
New User | Posts: 42 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 10/27/10
06:06 PM

I'm planning on doing a EGR delete and oil cooler update(with ss screen).  When I pull everything apart I may try and clean my turbo.

One big question, I have an '03 and while it was under warranty I had about 4-5 turbos replaced.  How do I check to see if they put the updated '07 turbo in my truck???  I did notice that the turbo was re manufactured or rebuilt, hope it is not just another turbo that will give me problems down the road, it is sticking by the way.  I get on it for freeway on ramps and it reads sometimes only 22psi, sometimes the normal 24-26psi but sometimes it peggs over 30psi(gauge only goes to 30), from what I've heard this is not good at all to overboost.

You think it is the turbo? Or do you think it is the acuator valve?  Maybe both, or will the EGR delete fix this??

Please help I'm planning on buying the parts for this project in about 1 week or so.  

smokinriceburners smokinriceburners
New User | Posts: 7 | Joined: 10/08
Posted: 12/18/10
05:49 PM

I recently bought a 2006 6.0 powerstroke.  When i bought it, the guy told me that it idled a little rough righ after cold start.  Sure enough, about 3 seconds after start up it would clear up.  It has gradually gotten worse and now it is real cold out and it never really clears up.  It starts , just a little rough but goes ahead and starts.  For a while it wouldn't clear up until it was at operating temperature, but now it never really clears up and runs like it should.  I thought it may be the egr but not sure.  Thought about the delete kit and probably will.  But i was wondering if my turbo was stuck too.  How much trubo lag should a stock 6.0 have.  It seems like it has quite a bit, but it always boosts up the same way and never shanges and always goes to the same 26 or so psi of boost when ya floor it.  Just wondering if it needs to be cleaned when i do the egr delete or not and if you think it is the egr in the first place.

Any help is appreciated.  Need to do it quick, while i'm on christmas break hopefully.  
If it doesn't smoke black, take it back!!

JLHcummins JLHcummins
User | Posts: 85 | Joined: 08/10
Posted: 12/18/10
07:33 PM

it could be your injectors,and possibly the egr valve,but I wouldn't think the turbo would make it run rough after start up,it just wouldn't have any power when you started driving it down the road.  

smokinriceburners smokinriceburners
New User | Posts: 7 | Joined: 10/08
Posted: 12/20/10
08:46 AM

Yea I know that the turbo won't make it run rough, but wasn't sure if the the amount of turbo lag was normal or maybe it could be sticking as well.  

I was hoping it was the egr valve and not the injectors, seems like an easier fix.  Also my buddy put his OBDII reader on it and it had no codes except for 3 for the egr valve.  But I don't know if there was actually something wrong with the egr valve, because i had unplugged it and that's when the CEL came on.  So we just dismissed it to me unplugging it, but i still think that there is something wrong with the egr valve.  I took the valve out and cleaned it, it was pretty dirty but not completely clogged and i couldn't really tell much of a difference.

As for the injectors, would injectors make it run rough when it's cold but not too bad when it warms up.  Also the tach kind of jumps around if you rev it up a little bit and hold it.  It will bounce around about 200 rpms up and down.  When driving it, it kind of hesitates until about 2500-2700 rpms then it just takes off like i feel it probably should.  

P.S.  I have tested the FICM and it has the correct 48V on it.  

Thanks for the help.  
If it doesn't smoke black, take it back!!

waynoone waynoone
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 06/11
Posted: 06/23/11
05:09 PM

My 03 6.0 seems to stay at a low idle rpm when started cold and even after a short warmup can hardly move off the spot with no power until it gets hot. Seems as though the fuel milage is suffering and seems to have lost some of its overall power also. when cold it used to idle rough at start, but then clear up and jump to a higher idle after a minute or so. Now the idle stays low all of the time. Any thoughts?  

nkendall.81 nkendall.81
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/11
Posted: 12/17/11
02:34 PM

My 06 did the same thing dealer told me it probably an injector hangin up but if it smoothed out all was good eventually I had to replace tha injector after that it started up good.  

collin20 collin20
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 04/12
Posted: 04/08/12
09:25 AM

I bought an 06 powerstroke and it was doing the same thing with the rpm's going up and down and was not really responding until it got up to about 2600 rpm's and then it would take off like a rocket!! I did my homework on this and put on a good egr delete and it took care of that problem. now it runs like it should.  

1 |  2 |  Next   | Last