touble code 1689 no comunication between the injecton pump and ecm

Diesel Power
Item Posts    Sort Order

touble code 1689 no comunication between the injecton pump and ecm

engsapper engsapper
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 11/09
Posted: 11/28/09
08:13 AM

I have a 99 Ram 2500 5.9l deisel that i have a trouble code that says the their is no communication between the ecm and injection pump. The place we took it too said it was the ecm, since they replaced the injection pump six months earlier. So i saved up and got a rebuilt computer from auto computer exchange and get the same code again. So i have checked the wiring and it has power going to both computers and all the wire checked out when i do an ohms test. So does any one know how to check the electronic on a vp-44 bosch injection pump for a diesel. I really dont want to spend another $1000+ to find out its something else.
  I went online to ask dodge they said it was probably the injection pump if the wirring harnes, fuzes checked out.  

BCRAM BCRAM
Enthusiast | Posts: 672 | Joined: 11/06
08:31 AM

When you replaced the VP-44 did you replace the lift pump?....and I mean REPLACE it with an aftermarket unit such as a FASS or Airdog. You should have a fuel pressure gauge as well. If you just replaced the 44 and left the OEM lift pump(it doesn't matter if the OEM lift pump is new!) there is a very god chance you fried the new VP-44. You only have to run the IP at low pressure once to damage it.  
2002 Dodge Ram 6 SPD Fass pump, afe cold air, mbrp 4" ss exhaust, 275hp RV injectors, edge ez, isspro gauges, South Bend clutch, track bar updated to 03-07 style, dss steering stabilizer system, 285 Cooper Discover

"If it doesn't have tit's a trigger or a throttle I'm pretty much not interested!"

engsapper engsapper
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 11/09
06:40 PM

thats why i changed the first one it was leaking and the transferpump was bad. So both have been replace, the injection pump is rebuilt and the lift pump was stock from dodge.
  Thanks for the help.