info on DT 466 o-ring failures

Diesel Power
Item Posts    Sort Order

info on DT 466 o-ring failures

shootinsteel shootinsteel
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/09
Posted: 12/31/09
06:35 AM

Where can I find information on DT466 engine failures related to the newer engines with the single o-ring on the sleeves? My company bought a new International 4400 in 2003 that we've had some trouble with. At 120,000 miles the o-ring on #4 cylinder failed and filled it with coolant. After an in frame overhaul I've put 40,000 miles on it and now a rod has gone through the side of the block. Not sure yet what went wrong but looks very likely that same o-ring failed and hydrauliced that rod. Everything else on the motor looks like a brand new engine. No problems with the head, valves, crank or rod bearings. Both times there was no warning at all. It's never used any oil, never made any knocking or rattling sounds, just lets go all at once. The dealer claims we're the only ones who have had any trouble with that series of engines but we're not convinced that's the case. Navistar made a change from multiple o-rings to the single o-ring that our truck has sometime not long before we got this one. Is this a common problem with them? Anybody know where we can find out the number of failures they've had with them?
Thanks for your help.  

nevrenufhp nevrenufhp
User | Posts: 111 | Joined: 02/07
Posted: 01/08/10
06:24 AM

It is a problem with the newer ones, but it's hard to say how many were affected. IH likely wont give anyone any lawsuit ammo. Just make sure you use IH replacement parts(mostly the seals). The updated seals are supposed to be a whole lot better than the original design.  
Daily driver: 67 F100, 300, 4V,cam, 4 spd, soon to be Ford 6.6 from 92 F600
My low buck fuel rate site:
www.freewebs.com/nevrenufhp/index.htm

dnl94 dnl94
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/10
Posted: 09/15/10
07:13 AM

I HAVE A 04 INTERNATIONAL 4300 THAT THE RINGS ON # 2/4 WENT OUT, PUT A ENGINE KIT IN AND NOW IT GETS HOT, 215/220, PUT NEW FAN CLUTCH, HAD RADIATOR FLUSHED, CHECKED WATER PUMP, ALL IS GOOD, THE TEMP GOES UP AND OIL PRESSURE DROPS TO 15LB. ANYONE GOT ANY IDEA'S  

TCool4118 TCool4118
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 10/10
Posted: 10/18/10
06:18 PM

I have rebuilt a few newer model DTs and i havent had that much of a problem with the liner o rings, i always put dawn dish washing soap on them when i put them in and it keeps them from trying to roll when you pull them down, i also put high temp silicone around the top lip of the liner to keep the water from leaking under the head. For the over heating problem, have you checked the front cover behind the waterpump? it is aluminum and when the waterpump gets loose it will eat into the front cover and cause it to cavitate thus making it run hot